TDF 2020 - Stage 20: Lure - La Planche des Belles Filles 36.2 km *Spoilers*

Stage 20: Lure - La Planche des Belles Filles 36.2 km

The end of Tour time-trials are the less predictable of the discipline. They’re even less when the course on the menu is an uphill climb like the one to La Planche-des-Belles-Filles, 5.9kms long at an average of 8.5%. If the gaps are small coming into the trial, the positions on the podium could dramatically change. - Christian Prudhomme

The climb will be even harder than usual, as it serves at the finish climb of a 36.2 kilometres ITT.
The race opens with approximately 15 kilometres on virtually valley roads. Then the route begins to incline – at shallow gradients, but given the finale this is an interesting section. Save energy or keep on pushing? The riders crest the Col de la Chevestraye at kilometre 25 before a descent of almost 3 kilometres runs onto the last climb of the 2020 Tour de France.

La Planche des Belles Filles was first included in the Tour de France of 2012. Almost overnight it has become a feared and revered climb after its inclusions in the editions of 2014, 2017 and 2019. Last year, the route was pepped up by an unpaved last kilometre, but that section will be skipped.
La Planche des Belles Filles is 5.9 kilometres long with an average gradient of 8.5%. The steepest ramp, at 20%, appears just before the finish line.

The intermediate time checks are located at kilometre 14.4 and at kilometre 30.3, which is at the base of La Planche des Belles Filles.

A clash of team mates Roglic and Dumooulin could be on the cards. The course is similar to the ITT World Championships of 2017 in Bergen when Dumoulin took gold, Roglic silver and Froome bronze. That Bergen ITT was played out an a 31 kilometres route that was slightly undulating until the finish climb appeared. The ascent was not unlike La Planche des Belles Filles, only a little shorter and steeper.

Favourites 20th stage 2020 Tour de France

*** Tom Dumoulin, Primoz Roglic, Tadej Pogacar
** Lennard Kämna, Julian Alaphilippe, Wout van Aert
* Daniel Felipe Martínez, Richie Porte, Rémi Cavagna

Lure

No previous stage

Population: 8,500

The final time trial will look like a real lap of honour for Thibaut Pinot, who will start from his birthplace before riding for 35 km of roads he knows better than the palm of his hands. His hometown of Melisey, whose mayor is his father, lies only 10 km away from Lure.
This is possibly why the Groupama rider is still in the race and has not abandoned yet another Grand Tour.

Specialties: potée comtoise, cancoillotte (melted cheese), Luxeuil ham,

craquelés lurons (biscuits), griottines from Fougerolles, trésor des Ballons (pastry created by chefs from the Ballons des Vosges Regional Nature Park)

La Planche des Belles Filles

Four previous stages

Population some sheep.

The sole ski resort in the Haute-Saone department and the last summit of the Vosges, La Planche des Belles-Filles made a smashing Tour de France debut when it revealed the climbing talent of Chris Froome. The English rider conquered his first Tour de France stage there in 2012 one year before his overall victory on the Champs-Elysees. That day, the man who was then Bradley Wiggins's main support, surged recklessly in the finale to drop Cadel Evans and win in style.
The sole ski resort in the Haute-Saone department and the last summit of the Vosges, La Planche des Belles-Filles made a smashing Tour de France debut when it revealed the climbing talent of Chris Froome. The English rider conquered his first Tour de France stage there in 2012 one year before his overall victory on the Champs-Elysees. That day, the man who was then Bradley Wiggins's main support, surged recklessly in the finale to drop Cadel Evans and win in style.

Specialities: cancoillotte cheese, Charcenne wine and cheese, Fougerolles AOC kirsch,

Villeminfroy water, Grillotines of Fougerolles,

myrtles in Belfahy, Montbozon biscuits, Luxeuil lace, Passavant-la-Tarbes Rochère glass and crystal.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    *Sigh*...

Just not worth watching until the last 10 minutes really, is it...

Be interesting to see how Carapaz Strava Lines the hill I guess...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2020
    Come on Richie, bring this home. £96.25 if he can get that podium.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    That is a fair point, much as I don't want Sup-air-man to come 4th, I would love to see Titchie-Ritchie on the podium. It would be a fair way to round off an honourable GC career
    - @ddraver
  • Think most of the GC will do a bike swap on this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2020

Think most of the GC will do a bike swap on this.

Most likely. It's about a 36-38 minute flat section followed by a 15-16 minute climb.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I think it was Matt White being interview the other day saying Yates would probably use a road bike.

• The final time trial will look like a real lap of honour for Thibaut Pinot, who will start from his birthplace before riding for 35 km of roads he knows better than the palm of his hands. His hometown of Melisey, whose mayor is his father, lies only 10 km away from Lure.

Well fancy that - Pinot comes from Mélisey! I stayed there when I did the Trois Ballons cyclosportive (which started that year at Champagney, nowadays the start is at Luxeuil-les-Bains; it always finishes up the Planche des Belles Filles).
    He must have been the school-kid I saw cycling along past our hotel.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited September 2020
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • What's the consensus on not having a normal TT this year?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited September 2020
    RichN95. said:

Most likely. It's about a 36-38 minute flat section followed by a 15-16 minute climb.
    Should uci put a block on this bike swap halfway nonsense?
  • Top 20 start times:

16:36:00 VAN AERT Wout TJV BEL
    16:38:00 VERONA Carlos MOV ESP
    16:40:00 ROLLAND Pierre BVC FRA
    16:42:00 QUINTANA Nairo ARK COL
    16:44:00 BILBAO Pello TBM ESP
    16:46:00 KUSS Sepp TJV USA
    16:48:00 BARGUIL Warren ARK FRA
    16:50:00 CARAPAZ Richard IGD ECU
    16:52:00 MARTIN Guillaume COF FRA
    16:54:00 CARUSO Damiano TBM ITA
    General classification top-10 start times

16:56:00 VALVERDE Alejandro MOV ESP
    16:58:00 DUMOULIN Tom TJV NED
    17:00:00 URAN Rigoberto EF1 COL
    17:02:00 YATES Adam MTS GBR
    17:04:00 MAS Enric MOV ESP
    17:06:00 LANDA Mikel TBM ESP
    17:08:00 PORTE Richie TFS AUS
    17:10:00 LOPEZ Miguel Angel AST COL
    17:12:00 POGACAR Tadej UAD SLO
    17:14:00 ROGLIC Primož TJV SLO
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Is that French time?
  • Is that French time?

Sorry, yes. CET timings.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

RichN95. said:

They changed the rules a while ago so that the bike couldn't be ahead waiting for the rider. Then they ran a world championship where they rolled out a red carpet for the bike change.
  • Interesting point from Dowsett - the best point to change bike is when you've already slowed down because of the gradient, rather than when you're barrelling along on the flat.

But that's likely to be after the intermediate split for the KOM timings...

Advantage Carapaz?
  • Interesting point from Dowsett - the best point to change bike is when you've already slowed down because of the gradient, rather than when you're barrelling along on the flat.

Advantage Carapaz?

I was thinking about that. You want to hit the split rolling if you're going for the KoM, so you need to change earlier and get up to speed.

Pogacar will have to ride for the stage time, not the KoM, he's at 57" so a puncture for Roglic and he could win the tour. He's only 30" in front of Lopez, so a bad day could see him drop from 2nd to 3rd. Not a lot of room to play with the KoM.

Lar "Sytting" Bak suggested that the better TTers might not swap at all as they would be comfortable climbing on TT bikes, while climbers would want to ditch the TT bike.

Mikkel Bjerg, 3 time world u23 champion (and Pogacar teammate) was convinced that nobody wanted to carry an extra kilo or so up a climb with a 20% ramp on it.

I think Mikkel has the right idea.
  • Pross

Interesting point from Dowsett - the best point to change bike is when you've already slowed down because of the gradient, rather than when you're barrelling along on the flat.

Advantage Carapaz?

Surely Carapaz will just ride the whole course on a road bike?

RichN95. said:

Yes. Let them have a spare for mechanicals etc. but it has to be the same set up as the original.
  • Pross

What's the consensus on not having a normal TT this year?

Dumoulin probably wouldn't have given up his GC chances so soon but other than that I don't think it has really affected the race as Roglic is the best time trialling and none of the climbers have been able to put him under pressure in the mountains.

• Presumably all sorts of sponsorship pressures too regarding bike choice and whether to change bike.
  • Would they let you run clip ons?
  • Yes I've seen it done.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2020
    That makes sense to me - effectively mess with a road setup to match a TT bike so you don't lose much on the flat and can make it up on the hills without a bike swap.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Clip ons would be an advantage if you couldn't bike change but I am not sure they will be quick enough on the flat compared to a TT bike to be better than a bike change.

Given how long the flat section is, a proper TT bike will be by far the fastest across the whole course if bike changes weren't allowed. Obviously with bike changes allowed it is different.

Discussion about when to change is interesting - I guess it hinges on whether saving 1-2 kilos will make back the ~20s the change will cost on the climb. I think the decision for Carapaz is pretty easy, but I still think he will do the flat section on a TT bike because it will be massively faster on that part. For Pogacar it is a lot more difficult decision as any issues with the bike change could potentially cost him the race (although as above Roglic also needs to have some misfortune).
  • I'm quietly hoping Enric Mas - this years wearer of the Zubeldia Jersey of Invisibility - can slide into the top 5 today.
  • I'm pretty sure all the contenders for the GC or the stage will change bikes. It's not just the weight that will make a TT bike slower up the climb .

Carapaz I'd expect to ride the whole thing on on a road bike just because you'd think you'd rather warm up for the climb on the same bike you were going to attack it on. I'm assuming the time cut won't require him to put significantly more into the flat section on a road bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Is there a zone only within which a bike change is permitted?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I'm pretty sure all the contenders for the GC or the stage will change bikes. It's not just the weight that will make a TT bike slower up the climb .

Carapaz I'd expect to ride the whole thing on on a road bike just because you'd think you'd rather warm up for the climb on the same bike you were going to attack it on. I'm assuming the time cut won't require him to put significantly more into the flat section on a road bike.

I guess, I don't know how cutoffs work on stages like this. But the TT bike really will be a lot quicker on the flat section, and it is a long flat section. If you were trying to take it easyish until the climb, I would have thought you would not want to make it unnecessarily hard for yourself. We will see!
  • I'm quietly hoping Enric Mas - this years wearer of the Zubeldia Jersey of Invisibility - can slide into the top 5 today.

The should forget about the team classification.
    Movistar should get the first ever Haimar Zubeldia team award.
    The US Airforce could learn a thing or two about stealth from Valverde's Veiled Visions.
  • Missed out on PTP this year but I'm betting on Tommie D to win this stage without a bike swap. Carapaz to keep the polka and Richie to end up 2 or 3 seconds short of the podium.