A matter of taste fish and chips

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited April 2019 in The hub
Fish and chips the national dish.

I always find them too greasy or the chips stodgy and have not found a fryer that offers a good combo of the two in my town.

Hence I would have them one time in 6 months, go to brid etc and good quality.

So as a bi monthly treat I am doing homemade fish and chips, got the chips and curry sauce just right (and curry sauce made not bought) same with the batter.

But the fish I keep trying different until now, SMOKED HADDOCK an epiphany.

Any one else make there own and what fish do you use?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shark. Preferably with frikkin lasers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why the frikkin Hub? I need to tell you what to do with the fish
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I have a decent chippy just down the road. I've noticed the quality of fish and chips decreases the further south you go. There are plenty cr@p chip shops in the north as well, one to stay well away from is behind the Crows Nest pub at Seaham.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • I've been meaning to try John Dory( ? ) for a while as I reccon it would work well in batter , doubt I will ever get round to it though, Good chippies are hard to find and worth walking the extra mile when you do.
  • Why the frikkin Hub? I need to tell you what to do with the fish

Is the hub not a place of general chat?

Or would it be better suited in the buying advice section?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try Ocean Blue in Chapeltown - very nice.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Fish and chips tastes better when eaten within sight of the sea, preferably actually on the beach. Mushy peas are nice but the only compulsory thing to have with fish and chips is a mug of tea.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207

I think the point he is making is, he would prefer if you'd posted this in the crudcatcher where the banter is not so strictly moderated ;-)
  • Why the frikkin Hub? I need to tell you what to do with the fish

I think the point he is making is, he would prefer if you'd posted this in the crudcatcher where the banter is not so strictly moderated ;-)

Yes my own and what is the difference between crud and hub? I thought hub was anything none MB related.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406

Yes my own and what is the difference between crud and hub? I thought hub was anything none MB related.

I think he answered that already, or you could read the forum descriptions. Nobody said it was in the wrong place but they would prefer it in the crud
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    I have a decent chippy just down the road. I've noticed the quality of fish and chips decreases the further south you go. There are plenty cr@p chip shops in the north as well, one to stay well away from is behind the Crows Nest pub at Seaham.

I live in Fenham (Newcastle), now I know everyone claims to live next to the best chippy but I really do live next to the best chippy. Gorman's/Fenham Fish Bar. On any given night, the queue is coming out the door and along the path, they've even had their own car park recently installed to relieve congestion on the road outside. Their food is just restaurant quality, seasoned to perfection.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Yes, Gormans are good, been there for lunch a few times, they have a few shops and the quality is consistent as well. Unlike mcguires, the Rowlands Gill shop used to be good but their Swalwell shop was rubbish.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    A busy chip shop is not a sign of a good chip shop. The local one to me is always busy, but that is because is the nearest one to the local estate. The chips there are awful. If I want fish and chips, I take a detour home from work and go to one called The Cod's Scallops.

It's good and it is up for chip shop of the year. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-top-10-fish-chip-6581471
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    they have a few shops and the quality is consistent as well.

That's a common misconception. There are many chippies called Gorman's but only 1 Fenham Fish Bar, the owners now have a sign up inside to say that it's the only chip show they own.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • I use river fish, because I live in the city by the river and you can find always fresh fish: catfish, pike, carp, perch and sometimes my favorite trout.. And the chips is regular boiled potatoes with onions.. :D
  • Hodgsons in Lancaster is a good chippy there's also Bowerham chippy down the road too. The packet bridge Bolton le sands has young fryer of the year finalist is there. Arnside has a good chippy too. Settle centre has IMHO a good chippy, IIRC it uses animal fats. The chippy down the hill near the petrol station is not as good but fries in vegetable oil.

IMHO you get good chip shops in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Northern England generally better.than southern England. Scotland is a.weird country for chips IME. Good and bad. There's one.in Callander I like but others I'm not impressed with. One chippy in Scotland I visited had dire chips but the only time I've ever tried a corned beef fritter was there and it was actually kind of nice if a little too big. Harry Ramsdens was a big.deal when I was.young. I think in those.days it was a few shops only in Yorkshire and the hq was a restaurant in with take away shop attached. It was quite nice.

Of course some chippies should be shut down they're so poor. There's a.combined.chippy and Chinese.takeaway I know where they do a lot of half and half with their Chinese dishes. Half chips half rice. Their fried.rice was overcooked by about the.length of time.it takes to make rice pudding. The.chips were overcooked and limp and greasy. The Chinese dish I tried was sweet and sour which was like pure treacle with a nasty taste. Their fish and chips.combined were inedible.
  • Best fish I’ve had in many places, although a one I remember was deep fried whitebait in some generic local pub near Maldon, Essex. Best chips by far were a takeaway from Indian restaurant in Blackpool, Lancs. Cooked in ghee. Oh my word!
    Last weekend I tried oven ready battered fillets from Iceland. Oven chips & mushy peas. That worked.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    I was in London yesterday with the gf and we had F&C at Tower Bridge. Really cheap at £9 and the bater actualy had a small bit of rancid crp fish in it.

Was in Grimsby once last year - think it wasa punishment. Went to Steels F&C. Fantastic. A good shop is very different.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    If ever anyone is in Scarborough and you fancy fish n chips go to North Bay fisheries wins the local award for best chippy,yes they do have that here,and then nip round and sit and eat them on the Marine Drive,most fish is now imported to us so will rarely be fresh caught,back to the OP Coley or Pollock are good substitute to cod or haddock,Catfish is also nice sometimes called Woof for some reason,if I'm to have fish at home I like lemon sole skinned with breadcrumbs baked on the bone
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    The best fish and chips hands down is from Sharky's F&C in St Ives, Cornwall.....a long way to come for most of you but if you're down this way then definitely worth sampling, they do their chips in batter too....which is just delicious!
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    When we visit the In Laws.Usually to do some jobs,both are elderly,mind you i am 70 next.We are taken out to SENIORS in Poulton Le Fylde.These fish and chips are superb.
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    Whitby fish and chips only one in my 'umble opinion that is Quayside,they knock the spots off another well know chippy very very near to them.
  • The best fishes are the trout fishes and I always hunting this from the lightweight canoe for sale at amazon.And if you have this then it will be easy for catching fishes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Nobody will be taking that bait! 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Maybe you shouldn’t mock, after all Conv is using the mafia plural for fish. As in “Sleeping with the fishes”
  • Curry sauce with fish and chips marks you as a culinary heathen!

Suggest you try pike!
  • A mixture of 50% chilly sauce and 50% garlic mayonnaise is best for chips!

You're welcome.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • Lowestoft - Not a great place but fantastic chippies, you can still get skate and chips for a tenner there.

I grew up in the South West and the standard was pretty high, the fish was generally fresher than other chip shops I've been to in other parts of the country.

Living in London now, the local is actually really good which is a proper rarity for the big smoke.
  • iFratelli in E London is a decent chippie by the usual merde standards.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    One of my suppliers' family ran a fish and chip shop many years ago. He told me they used to fry in peanut oil, you could fry at a much higher temperature and the batter didn't expand as much and absorb so much oil. Then with increased competition, he blamed the Greeks, people started using vegetable oil as it was much cheaper. Because the batter expanded more the portions looked bigger, but quality went down.
    Nowadays with all the nut allergies this may cause problems of course.