thursday with jelly

'ning

usual usual, more webexes than last few days, maybe add a catnap later, more tdf
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Ning

WFH, webexes, gym today.

Got to pop out later this morning to go and measure some things, however I suspect it will be a wasted trip.
  • Morning, a bit cooler today, dog walked , a trip to the local diy first thing, shopping , cycling ,tdf
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Walk hounds, small run then work stuff. Later may just fit a bike ride in as it looks like a perfect summer bike night
  • Just stuff to do, sunny but cool out. Nice day for a ride but that has 0% probability.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,155
    Nice ride into town this morning apart from the odd roadworks/road closures slowing stuff up. Will be even nicer on the way home as it's sunny/20 degrees in The Big Smoke. Will spend lunchtime stuffing my face and looking at new bikes (following the sage advice from the LBS that my communter is slightly fubarred).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • F - 1 Day. Home tomorrow, the only saving grace for the week. Been contemplating N = 11, can't decide whether to buy the geared only or optional single speed version.

Had high hopes for a lottery win this evening, 60 million bux. *Someone* won it, just not me.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_

F - 1 Day. Home tomorrow, the only saving grace for the week. Been contemplating N = 11, can't decide whether to buy the geared only or optional single speed version.

Just get both. If you're already at n=10 then the difference between n+1 and n+2 starts getting small.
  • F - 1 Day. Home tomorrow, the only saving grace for the week. Been contemplating N = 11, can't decide whether to buy the geared only or optional single speed version.

Just get both. If you're already at n=10 then the difference between n+1 and n+2 starts getting small.
    It is an option, but I'd likely only ride even one of them (very) occasionally, so getting a pair would make that Ride freq: = (Very Occasionally) / 2...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1

F - 1 Day. Home tomorrow, the only saving grace for the week. Been contemplating N = 11, can't decide whether to buy the geared only or optional single speed version.

It is an option, but I'd likely only ride even one of them (very) occasionally, so getting a pair would make that Ride freq: = (Very Occasionally) / 2...
    I don’t understand the issue here
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

Nice ride into town this morning apart from the odd roadworks/road closures slowing stuff up. Will be even nicer on the way home as it's sunny/20 degrees in The Big Smoke. Will spend lunchtime stuffing my face and looking at new bikes (following the sage advice from the LBS that my communter is slightly fubarred).

What are you getting? Please tell me it’s not got straight bars again!
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2020
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not sure yet. Looking at something made of Ti so likely that girly curly bars are compulsory.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not sure yet. Looking at something made of Ti so likely that girly curly bars are compulsory.
    Extra curly like them gravel bike contraptions?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like Hoppy's bike?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like Hoppy's bike?
    Possibly. He's got a PX, right? Definitely good value.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Extra curly like them gravel bike contraptions?
    With pink tassels on.
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like Hoppy's bike?
    Yes, PX cross bike can't remember the name of it. Came out just before gravel was a thing.
    I hardly ever saw a curly barred bike on the trail in Richmond Park a few years ago, I'd do it on my cross bike sometimes with slicks and it was fine as it's just hard pack. Nowadays you see loads of gravel bikes on it which makes me chuckle. It's so tame you can ride it on anything, the lad even did it on his unicycle.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like Hoppy's bike?
    Yes, PX cross bike can't remember the name of it. Came out just before gravel was a thing.
    I hardly ever saw a curly barred bike on the trail in Richmond Park a few years ago, I'd do it on my cross bike sometimes with slicks and it was fine as it's just hard pack. Nowadays you see loads of gravel bikes on it which makes me chuckle. It's so tame you can ride it on anything, the lad even did it on his unicycle.
    It'll probably be a roadie bike rather than a CX. Not much gravel on my commute into The Smoke :smile:
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like Hoppy's bike?
    It'll probably be a roadie bike rather than a CX. Not much gravel on my commute into The Smoke :smile:
    This is true, when I bought mine it was the only way to get a drop barred bike with discs. Now you can get a road bike with discs that will take 32mm rubber which will probably offend purists like Piña :D
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Pickenflick, that's what I have. Back in winter 2013/14 I bought it, so the frame must have >35k kilometres in it. I think the frame, fork, brake callipers, brake hoses, shifters and handlebars are original. Hopefully I'll get another 35k kilometres out of the frame. I see no reason to change it.

Now I'd be tempted by the Hurricane, which is the disc road frame it seems.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like Hoppy's bike?
    This is true, when I bought mine it was the only way to get a drop barred bike with discs. Now you can get a road bike with discs that will take 32mm rubber which will probably offend purists like Piña :D
    wider than 23mm is a fat bike
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Pickenflick, that's what I have. Back in winter 2013/14 I bought it, so the frame must have >35k kilometres in it. I think the frame, fork, brake callipers, brake hoses, shifters and handlebars are original. Hopefully I'll get another 35k kilometres out of the frame. I see no reason to change it.

Yep, the Hurricane was what I was looking at in the PX range. Cracking value and I like SRAM (flame suit on). Only slight niggle is external cables, but given the price...
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like Hoppy's bike?
    wider than 23mm is a fat bike
    Whether the rider is fat or not is more important :smile:
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Yep, the Hurricane was what I was looking at in the PX range. Cracking value and I like SRAM (flame suit on). Only slight niggle is external cables, but given the price...
    Easy for you to say as you get someone else to do your fettling, I'd rather have external. I think it has a threaded bottom bracket but that's another thing I'd insist on for ease of tinkering.
    I've not had a bike with SRAM yet, but have a set up lined up to go on the bamboo frame if I ever finish it.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Easy for you to say as you get someone else to do your fettling, I'd rather have external. I think it has a threaded bottom bracket but that's another thing I'd insist on for ease of tinkering.
    I've not had a bike with SRAM yet, but have a set up lined up to go on the bamboo frame if I ever finish it.
    Well true :smile: I like SRAM mainly because the double tap just works well and you don't have to think about which lever to push depending on whether you want to change up or down. Plus the Rival kit on my Boardman has been pretty bomb proof over 11 years of hacking it into town and back.
  • hopkinb
    Sram for the win.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Sram for the win.

A man of good taste Mr. H :smile:

Do you reckon its worth dropping an extra £200 to get Force rather than Rival? Or is this just something I won't notice until I get the bill for replacement parts? The new bike will be used for the commute though the year as well as a spot of weekend riding and the Boardman will come in handy as a spare/pub bike.
  • hopkinb
    Get force. The only bits that should need replacement are the cassette, chain and brake pads. You don't need to replace these with force components. I use the rival level or kmc chains, 105 cassettes, and gorilla brake pads.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Get force. The only bits that should need replacement are the cassette, chain and brake pads. You don't need to replace these with force components. I use the rival level or kmc chains, 105 cassettes, and gorilla brake pads.

Cheers - would also avoid buyers remorse :smile:
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Cheers - would also avoid buyers remorse :smile:
    If you don't like it, just get another bike with Shimano kit on it :wink: