TDF 2020 - Stage 18: Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron 175 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Funny how Bahrain Merida get a load of stick for working for their opponents, but Sagan constantly shepherding Bennett into the front group so he can slide back on the climbs gets hardly any mention. If Sagan fancies a career as a super-domestique for a sprinter then he's building a pretty good highlight reel...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    B and b struggling
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Come on carapaz go for a ride .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Bilbao in there oufff
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    edited September 2020

Funny how Bahrain Merida get a load of stick for working for their opponents, but Sagan constantly shepherding Bennett into the front group so he can slide back on the climbs gets hardly any mention. If Sagan fancies a career as a super-domestique for a sprinter then he's building a pretty good highlight reel...

Bennett has got a long day ahead of him though. If he did any work in that breakaway, he might pay later.
  • I remember riding down this now - hairpins, rock faces, mountain stream along the road. Lovely.

• The Gorilla steps off. Been fighting an injury since the start.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • So far this has been an absolutely fascinating start. So much going on.

Carapaz chasing the polka dot jersey and Bahrain sending top riders up the road.

Jumbo losing personnel and Gesink is already hanging by a thread.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Hirschi pips Carapaz for the Kom points. Could be a fun battle today between those two
  • Lots of cows at the top of the Cormet de Roselend.

Anyone else think the Tour's been a bit cow deficient so far this year? Can't remember having seen that many.
  • The Gorilla steps off. Been fighting an injury since the start.

Sad to see that he won’t finish. He’s a real class act, he must have been really trashed
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Got the race on in the background with no sound while I am working. Every time I looked there seems to be a different group on screen. Seems to have been chaos.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    edited September 2020
    Kirby and Brian Smith laying into the jury for not giving the combativity award to Carapaz, yesterday. Kirby saying they gave it to Alahpillipe to keep having a random Frenchman on the podium each day.

Just sayin'.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454

Kirby and Brian Smith laying into the jury for not giving the combativity award to Carapaz, yesterday. Kirby saying they gave it to Alahpillipe to keep having a random Frenchman on the podium each day.

Just sayin'.

Not like Kirby to get something right!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Naaaaw, used to be my stomping ground for a summer, and a very nice place to stomp it was too...

Waiting for the guests to ride down in the patisserie in Beaufort... 😍
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,926
    edited September 2020
    Not sure how up to date it is - - but I quite like the race summary from the official TDF website

https://racecenter.letour.fr/en/

Good recap of the race postion

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ok
    Just refreshed it - now there's gaps and question marks
    They must be riding through a tunnel
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    So the aggressive GC start did not really materialise.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553

When was the last one of those?
  • mididoctors
    Bit active as s stage . So glad to see carapaz didn't think he had a second ride in him
  • mididoctors
    Riders every where today looks like a sportive
  • mididoctors

Been a stiff start thou
  • mididoctors
    How old is gesink ?
  • Carapaz getting sneaky
  • rick_chasey
    Hirschi low side crash.
  • rick_chasey

How old is gesink ?

• Hirschi crashes!
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    Hirschii out rused
  • Time for kwiat and Carapaz to put the hammer down
  • Ooft, that road rash looks sore!