Low BMI

Would you worry if one of your relatives had a low BMI? I just wondered what the health implications are?

My mum was saying to my eldest she shouldn't lose more weight - she's in the healthy weight BMI - but my daughters then got my mum on the scales and her BMI us 16.7 (that's including clothes and a pair of shoes!). Now I knew she didn't weigh much but 16.7!!! They were laughing about it but I'm thinking is that actually something to be concerned about - not that there is much I could do about it.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    BMI=BS - it's a very rough guide for the "average" person. However, if I were at all concerned, I'd consult a medical professional.
  • You only get worried if there is an eating disorder, or if there has been a significant and unexplained weight loss
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yes probably right - don't think either apply. I wasn't particularly worried I just wondered if being that low carried longer term health risks. She is fairly active given she is in her 80s.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm no health professional, but I think there's an increased risk of osteoporosis in people who are "underweight". Though if she's active, that should offset it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Yes probably right - don't think either apply. I wasn't particularly worried I just wondered if being that low carried longer term health risks. She is fairly active given she is in her 80s.

Muscle wastage is not unusual in the elderly... the gut struggles to absorb nutrients. They say it's important to keep up the protein intake, apparently animal protein is absorbed easier in the elderly... keep up the chicken dinner
    left the forum March 2023