TDF 2020 - Stage 17 Grenoble - Méribel Col de la Loze 170 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    edited September 2020
    Polka pops

Mike Snow abandons
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Poor old Benoit.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    de Cauwer making the point that, unlike in other Tours, for one day riders, their races are still to come, so there is less desperation for stage wins than you would get in this Tour.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020
    JA in the break again, he's always in it isn't he?

Renaat "he's presumably also working to polish up the final few percent of his form ahead of the world's"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    Nieve out, bad news for Yates who is isolated.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Nieve abandoned.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    Pross said:

Bahrain doing serious damage. I really hope this results in people attacking Roglic early. Can't see the break lasting to the summit at this rate.

That or jumbo the the only team left. It's good Bahrain have taken this up thou
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383

ddraver said:

Time to switch to ITV4...

2 hours after they started today's coverage. :D
    I'm hoping to create a ratings cliff when Kirby comes on. Plus the no adverts thing is definitely better, just not better enough
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Pross said:

Nieve out, bad news for Yates who is isolated.

First time in his pro-career :(
    - @ddraver
  • Not going to be that many left for the JV domestiques to drop on the final climb.
  • All Bahrain have achieved is to spell Super Jumbo's remaining 5 domestiques.
  • Pogacar releaves the Tour's of it's worst ever Polka Dot wearer.
  • rick_chasey

Pogacar releaves the Tour's of it's worst ever Polka Dot wearer.

Alan Piper was banging on about Pog being well placed for the descent too, so two birds and all that.
  • Dan Martin's descending nowhere near as good as his ascending.
    Already distanced.
  • rick_chasey
    Does polka take precedence over white jersey if the rider has both? I think so?
  • ddraver said:

Having the same dilemma as yesterday where I think I should probably go and ride my own bike but I really want to watch today...

There won't be many more days like today to go on lovely summer-esque rides this year in England, go ride if you aren't fatigued and watch the highlights of this stage when you get home.

I'm recovering from my highlight ride of the year (if not of the last ~3.5 years) yesterday, after getting an unplanned recent power best 20mins up Cheddar Gorge; down and then up Burrington Combe before crawling over the 100Km mark when I saw I was going to be close due to Three mobile reception loss and consequent navigation errors.

Carpe Diem.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ddraver
    He's another that's had a complete shocker this year, eh?
    - @ddraver
  • Well I tensed up when Carapaz's wheel slipped....
  • ddraver

Inspirational stuff.

Man, if only you'd been a few hours earlier.

Decided to go after now. Hopefully Yodel may be half decent and deliver a shiny new jersey by then too 😶
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Dan getting sucked back into the bunch like a shooting star
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    Oh my god, Roglic.

"How do you think you do on the really steep stuff?"

"Well it's obviously got a higher percentage so you all tend to rider more slowly up, but it is the same for everyone"

Ugh.
  • mididoctors
    Astana I hope does something
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    What are Bahrain doing here.

It's not fast enough to ride anyone off, but it is fast enough to control the pace.

What is this, have Jumbo bought their services for today?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I hope anybody does something
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pogacar releaves the Tour's of it's worst ever Polka Dot wearer.

Oh I'm sure there have been worse.
    You've got to admire Cosnefroy's determination though. After having been dropped on the Madeleine, many another would have waited for the next group, and saved energy for tomorrow. but he made it back on the descent, well at least for now.
    Might well work against him not just on this final ascent (likely) but again tomorrow (possible).
  • rick_chasey
    jimmyjams said:

Pogacar releaves the Tour's of it's worst ever Polka Dot wearer.

Oh I'm sure there have been worse.
    You've got to admire Cosnefroy's determination though. After having been dropped on the Madeleine, many another would have waited for the next group, and saved energy for tomorrow. but he made it back on the descent, well at least for now.
    Might well work against him not just on this final ascent (likely) but again tomorrow (possible).
    More room to take it easy on the final 21km no?
  • ddraver
    Macron and Prudhomme with a beautiful hand sanitizer set up for the cameras...
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

What are Bahrain doing here.

It's not fast enough to ride anyone off, but it is fast enough to control the pace.

What is this, have Jumbo bought their services for today?

I suspect they're not thinking of Yellow, just a few steps up the classification
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    ddraver said:

Macron and Prudhomme with a beautiful hand sanitizer set up for the cameras...

that's lube :o
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    This isn't working I fear