Norco's '360 lock technology'

Hi all, any Norco experts here? I have a 2015 Sight carbon and I want to service the bearings on my seat tube pivot but can't access the left side one. The shaft/bolt is undone from the right side with an alen key, but the nut on the left side which holds it is also threaded in somehow. It's branded '360 lock technology'. Any help would be much appreciated, as neither Norco nor Evan's Cycles have responded to me.

Comments

• Is You Tube of no help? It's usually my first port of call.
  • Is You Tube of no help? It's usually my first port of call.

I can find nothing.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2020
    Had a Google too. Yeah nothing and sounds like Norco are 'unhelpful or unreachable.' Your not the first person to have this problem, other forums provided no answers on how to remove either?

Does the whole axle inside spin when you try and undo the non driveside nut? If so there could be a special tool needed or possibly a standard Allen key needs inserting on driveside to stop the axle rotating before undoing the NDS nut?

Worth shining a torch inside the axle from driveside and maybe you could spot how the 360 lock works or at least give you a clue to what's going on?

Update: This says how the 360 lock works but not how to remove. Scroll down to '360 lock pivots.' Seems like the driveside end of the axle has an expanding collette that grips to the inner race of the driveside bearing.

http://www.downhillnews.com/reviews/tag/norco-bikes

Worth trying to insert something all the way in through the axle from the driveside and tap the lock nut from the back and maybe the whole axle and nut will just push out together as one unit.
  • Had a Google too. Yeah nothing and sounds like Norco are 'unhelpful or unreachable.' Your not the first person to have this problem, other forums provided no answers on how to remove either?

Does the whole axle inside spin when you try and undo the non driveside nut? If so there could be a special tool needed or possibly a standard Allen key needs inserting on driveside to stop the axle rotating before undoing the NDS nut?

Worth shining a torch inside the axle from driveside and maybe you could spot how the 360 lock works or at least give you a clue to what's going on?

Update: This says how the 360 lock works but not how to remove. Scroll down to '360 lock pivots.' Seems like the driveside end of the axle has an expanding collette that grips to the inner race of the driveside bearing.

http://www.downhillnews.com/reviews/tag/norco-bikes

Worth trying to insert something all the way in through the axle from the driveside and tap the lock nut from the back and maybe the whole axle and nut will just push out together as one unit.

Thanks very much. Like in your link above nothing tells you how to dismantle one of these, only how they work. I've tried looking in at the driveside with a torch and can still make no sense of it. I'll take a picture and upload, but as for the nut pushing out, it's threaded in independently from the axle, which threads into it. Eugh, sorry, I'm no good at mechanical talk!
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    It's a strange one Pal. Obviously there must be a way but nothing to the internet or someone with a Norco that's managed to do it?

All points to asking Norco direct but no one has any luck with contact, pretty poor customer service and lack of technical info to sort it out.

The end of the axle on third pic looks like there is one or two slots in it which makes me think a good (but careful) hit in the right place would make it pop towards the non driveside and slide out was my best guess.

I'm interested to know now so will have another look on internet and your new pic, fingers crossed Mate!
  • It's a strange one Pal. Obviously there must be a way but nothing to the internet or someone with a Norco that's managed to do it?

All points to asking Norco direct but no one has any luck with contact, pretty poor customer service and lack of technical info to sort it out.

The end of the axle on third pic looks like there is one or two slots in it which makes me think a good (but careful hit in the right place would make it pop towards the non driveside and slide out was my best guess.

I'm interested to know now so will have another look on internet and your new pic, fingers crossed Mate!

That's very kind but you've done enough Googling for me already. I'll have another bash later today and let you know if successful, and I may even make a YouTube video if so. There's no way to contact Norco through their website, which only leaves Facebook. I'll try again but not feeling hopeful.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I googled and searched youtube last night for this and couldn't find anything that indicates how to remove that fastener. Lots of forum posts though with people asking the same as you, @Norco_Peterborough.
    If you thread the bolt you have removed in to the end of the nut can you then pull it out?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA said:

I googled and searched youtube last night for this and couldn't find anything that indicates how to remove that fastener. Lots of forum posts though with people asking the same as you, @Norco_Peterborough.
    If you thread the bolt you have removed in to the end of the nut can you then pull it out?

Good suggestion! I'll have a go and let you know.
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    Good plan. A solution, a You Tube video and you could be solving a big mystery for a lot of people. I for one am looking forward to hopefully finding out Mate. Good luck! 🤞
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I think the marketing department has probably gone a bit over the top making it sound complicated. i reckon that little tube through the centre has a slot in both ends and theres a tiny taper on the end caps that opens up that tube creating the" 360 lock "

ie in other words it will tap out with a suitable drift from the other side.
  • Right, I'm trying to get this collet thing out. The one on the other side (pictured) popped out easily, from outwards in, with a push of a screwdriver tip. The nut has a thread which extends into the bearing aperture, and the collet around the nut seems to be clamping it in place. I've tried using reasonable force to push the nut out but it doesn't want to budge. Seems like I just need to push harder, but I'm not feeling cavalier enough. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Urgh!

• mully79
    is the second picture down the one you still need to remove ?
  • mully79
    if so then the collet comes out towards the inside and that "nut" comes out to the outside.
    that makes it tricky to engage with the nut.
    i would screw the original axle into the thread from the outside so that all the threads are engaged then tap it out by hitting the axle from the inside.
    hope that makes sense !
  • It sure does. Think I just have to give it some welly. I'll see how it goes.
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020

Right, I'm trying to get this collet thing out. The one on the other side (pictured) popped out easily, from outwards in, with a push of a screwdriver tip. The nut has a thread which extends into the bearing aperture, and the collet around the nut seems to be clamping it in place. I've tried using reasonable force to push the nut out but it doesn't want to budge. Seems like I just need to push harder, but I'm not feeling cavalier enough. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Urgh!

I'm assuming the second pic is the same kind of collet that's you've already got out except it's locked by the end of the thread of the 360 lock bolt behind?

Still guessing here but worth trying to stop the collet rotating by gripping with pliers or a screwdriver in the notch whilst unscrewing the 360 lock bolt?
  • Right, I'm trying to get this collet thing out. The one on the other side (pictured) popped out easily, from outwards in, with a push of a screwdriver tip. The nut has a thread which extends into the bearing aperture, and the collet around the nut seems to be clamping it in place. I've tried using reasonable force to push the nut out but it doesn't want to budge. Seems like I just need to push harder, but I'm not feeling cavalier enough. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Urgh!

I'm assuming the second pic is the same kind of collet that's you've already got out except it's locked by the end of the thread of the 360 lock bolt behind?

Still guessing here but worth trying to stop the collet rotating by gripping with pliers or a screwdriver in the notch whilst unscrewing the 360 lock bolt?
    Yeah, that seems to be the way. I just can't get any purchase on the notch in the collet. I'll keep at it.
  • Hi everyone. The collet does indeed just pop out inwards towards the frame, and then the nut falls out the other side. I'm still unable to do it, but I've just serviced the identical, albeit much larger, lower seat tube link and was able to pop the collet out with my thumb. I just need a long, needle-like bit of metal that won't bend to pick out the collet on the upper link.

Thanks for your help, everyone. Up yours, Norco. One day I'll make a video for Youtube.
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    Lol, @Norco_Peterborough! 🤣😂🤣 Nice work Pal, congrats!👏👏

🖕Norco🖕 Good for you, looking forward to a seeing a new You Tube tutorial! 👍👍