New tyres needed

After a flat today I inspected the tyres and decided to retire them. Continental GP4000s 11, 25mm.

Now it seems that these have been superseded by the 5000 verrsion and I've no issue with Contis and would happily replace with 4000s but I've seen a few failures here and there on the 5000s. Now I know that people wont come on and say "wow my tyres are great" but they will say " wow, these are shite"

Has anyone any first hand experience of them and can advise please?
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I've used 4000s for a long time (among others) and been very happy with them.

Been on 5000s (25mm) for 2-3K now and I'm very happy with them - no punctures, wear doesn't seem bad and they "feel fast" although the usual provisos about subjectivity apply.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    TLDR: "Wow my tyres are great"
  • Oh, and in the event of upgrading I have two unused GP4000 ii tyres for sale, one in 25mm and one in 23mm flavor. £20 each + postage.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    I put GP5000s on one of my bikes in early July last year. Used said bike for the etape and the following week in the alps, including descending the Telegraphe in the post TdF stage thunderstorm. Rode that bike through the winter too. Replaced the rear tyre in June, front still going strong after 7,500 kms.
    Grip is excellent, had total faith in that thunderstorm. A couple of flats through the winter, but you have to expect that.

A club mate did nick the side wall on two consecutive club rides recently, but he hit larger stones on both occassions, so I think was just unlucky.

I've used GP4000s for the last 7 or 8 years, but think the 5000s are a slight improvement.
  • I find the 5000 ok. I’m not sure I find them better than the 4000. I really like my Bontrager R4 classics though
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Been on Michelin Pro 4 Endurance for the last 3-4yrs. Can't fault them and can't remember the last time I had a puncture with them.

I think they may have been superseded by the Power Competition iteration but they are still widely available and good value
  • I'd tried the Pro4 Endurance when I had a couple of sidewall cuts with Pro4 SCs. No punctures, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed the tread parting company from the carcass in a couple of places on the rear, so not as endurance as I'd hoped.
  • Bike tyres are so expensive now, I use Conti Ultrasports as they’re cheap as chips and I’ve never had an issue with them.