Trainer causing damage to frame

Hi!

I am having an issue in that my trainer is making contact with my frame and is causing damage. My bike is a Giant Defy Advanced 2015 and the trainer is a Jet-black Z1. In the photos below you can see where it is rubbing.

I am confident the bike is being supported by the QR and not the frame and the damage appears to be superficial only. I have put a frame protector patch at the contact point but I do not think this is an ideal solution.

Does anyone else have the same bike with the same trainer? If yes, I would like to have your opinion. How can I fix this? Maybe convert to a thru axle? Use a wider QR with spacers?

Thanks

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    That turbo would appear to have a part missing. It doesn't look right.
    I may be wrong.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Does it not have a turbo specific q/r skewer. Mine came with one.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    edited September 2020
    You appear not to have a specific turbo trainer quick release skewer such as this picture?

The end should keep the turbo clamp further away from your frame.

Edit: It might be the design of this specific clamp. It does seem very close to the frame and there is little you can do about it except use an old frame specifically for the turbo or accept the rubbing you are getting :-(

See this pic.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Jet-Black-Z1-right-side-centering-knob.jpg

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• kesa
    kesa Posts: 35
    I just checked this and I confirm the skewer is different.

I just damaged my frame and now I feel sick inside. I love my bike and now I just ruined it. I bought the trainer on ebay and the seller gave me the wrong skewer. I can't decide if he is an idiot or a selfish jerk.

Thanks everyone for your help.
  • kesa

You appear not to have a specific turbo trainer quick release skewer such as this picture?

The end should keep the turbo clamp further away from your frame.

Edit: It might be the design of this specific clamp. It does seem very close to the frame and there is little you can do about it except use an old frame specifically for the turbo or accept the rubbing you are getting :-(

See this pic.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Jet-Black-Z1-right-side-centering-knob.jpg

Thanks. I am thinking I should buy a new trainer. This trainer has left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited September 2020
    I don’t think you have ruined your frame, the paint is chipped that’s all. A bit of touch up paint or nail varnish and you won’t even be able to see it. As getting a new trainer all you need is the right skewer.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    All you have there is a standard road skewer, not a turbo one. If you can't find a Jet Black one separately then check the manufacturer's site for a picture of what it should look like and try to match an alternative for the likes of Elite and Tacx.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    The vendor is not a jerk, you and they made the same mistake, no?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited September 2020
    The bike is fine. That’s a very strong area on a frame. As others have said, it’s a few paint chips and a very common place for them regardless of turbo use.

A turbo specific skewer is standard across all wheel-on turbos, so you can buy one of these and carry on:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-turbo-trainer-qr-skewer

• kesa
    edited September 2020
    Today I went out and bought the correct skewer. It has definitely made a difference but there is still contact. What does everyone think? Is it safe to use?

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Ideally you want a cone shaped shim/spacer on the outside of the nut on the qr but I don't know if they exist.

Can you stick a washer under the nut in the qr to move it slightly further out?

A 'grooved' washer would be ideal so it's similar to the face of the qr so it doesn't slip but a plain one might still work.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    One or two M10 washers between the conical nut and the frame should give you enough clearance and are cheap from a local hardware store. Only use these when on the trainer. For road use I'd put the original plastic nut with the grooved face back on.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    I would buy a new trainer personally. Mine has 0% contact with my frame
  • kesa
    @photonic69 & thistle_(mbnw). I put some rubber washes in-between the cone nut and the frame and I managed to create some space but found I couldn't attach the cone nut because the axle is not long enough to go all the way through the nut. This isn't going to work.

@zest28. Do you have the same trainer and bike as me?

• Buy a £50 beater off gumtree and use that on the trainer.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

Buy a £50 beater off gumtree and use that on the trainer.

And a new trainer. I think n+1 applies to all bike related purchases.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    kesa said:

@photonic69 & thistle_(mbnw). I put some rubber washes in-between the cone nut and the frame and I managed to create some space but found I couldn't attach the cone nut because the axle is not long enough to go all the way through the nut. This isn't going to work.

@zest28. Do you have the same trainer and bike as me?

No, I use the Wahoo Kickr. That trainer doesn’t have that strange attachment like yours.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I know Webster's cycles sell the jetblack trainer. Might be worth dropping them an email and seeing if they have any ideas?