Lever on frame below the stem - any ideas?

Can anyone tell me what this lever does please?
It’s on a 2016 Cube Aim SL 27.5 if that helps

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited September 2020
    I have never seen that before. Every bike I have ever seen just has a gaping hole there which is just the entry to the inside of the fork steerer. I tend to plug that hole with something plastic to stop if filling with mud. The best thing I found was what anglers use to protect the ends of their fibre glass fishing rods during transit, like this:

And fits like this:

I drilled a small hole in the plug to let air in to avoid condensation forming.

As you can see,yours looks like a easily removable version of mine (mine was glued in). Just move the lever and it should fall out or at least be easily pulled out.

Let us know if I was right.

But of course it could be a new tension device to preload the headset bearings by exactly the correct amount. (I don't know I'm guessing). :)
  • I'll hazard a total guess too as, like Steve never seen anything like that before.

A fitting for a removable mud guard perhaps?🤔
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    tool storage? ie something like a fork cork
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Take it out and see what's inside.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    What happens if you push, pull or turn it?
  • I too haven't seen the like
    Being curious I had a look around and could not find another of your model/year with the same device...

I wonder what a Cube dealer would have to say?
  • Lots of good ideas here... will have a more detailed look tomorrow and report back!
  • It looks a bit like a camera quick mount. It’s similar to the mount I used to use for my VIRB camera, but I never mounted it there.
  • perhaps it's a secret storage space used to import heroin into Germany from the far east.
  • I think darkhairedlord is on the money! Sounds so obvious now you mention it!🤣
  • Not showing up on the stock photo.

• It's a protective plug left in from the manufacturing process. ?
  • Well done reaperactual, it's the quick release part for a Topeka defender mudguard