The Vikings are HERE! Be afraid. *possible spoilers* *definite pillaging *

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    RichN95. said:

andyp said:

Some interesting background in the comments below this article over on cyclingtips from Danish cycling fans about how the team approach the team pursuit;

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/02/denmark-smashes-mens-team-pursuit-world-record-for-third-time-in-two-days/

Essentially, the model now is to minimise changeovers and get ultra long stints from the lead off rider, who does 3 laps for the Danes, and the final rider, who does 4 laps.

Essentially everyone does two turns. The kilo style rider leads off with a big turn (and drops out after his second), then two sprinter/lead out types do theirs followed by the Ganna style monster who does the last kilo on his own as the others hang on. It used to be just the four best pursuit riders. A team with both Wiggins and Thomas wouldn't make sense anymore.

I reckon Italy could really push them.
    Presumably the idea is riders spend less time going slower; every time a rider pulls off the team loses a bike length; so it's about optimising that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    Paris-Nice TT (15km) sees Søren Kragh win and Asgreen 3rd.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Mads Pedersen takes his first win in the rainbow jersey, in Poland. Lead out in a bunch sprint. Looking good for the autumn spring classics
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Obviously the older vikings have been spurred into action by the youngsters. Fuglsang takes a second monument :smiley:
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Andreas Leknessund who won the U23 European ITT title would have been 4th in the Men's elite category. So another potential workhorse for the upcoming next generation Ineos mountain train to gobble up. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Decent August for Tobias Lund Andresen.... Just turned 18 a few days before this lot
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

Decent August for Tobias Lund Andresen.... Just turned 18 a few days before this lot

Impressive. Another 18 year old Dane (Kasper Andersen) won the European junior road race.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    DeadCalm said:

Impressive. Another 18 year old Dane (Kasper Andersen) won the European junior road race.
    Yep. The production line is still rolling!
  • Søren Kragh feels almost middle aged at 26 in comparison to some of these kids, but nice stage win today in the TdF. More to come from him, I reckon.
  • Søren Kragh feels almost middle aged at 26 in comparison to some of these kids, but nice stage win today in the TdF. More to come from him, I reckon.

Prophetic. Nice second stage there.

Meanwhile, Andreas Kron takes a stage in Luxembourg. He's riding WT next year with Lotto Soudal.
  • DeadCalm

Søren Kragh feels almost middle aged at 26 in comparison to some of these kids, but nice stage win today in the TdF. More to come from him, I reckon.

Meanwhile, Andreas Kron takes a stage in Luxembourg. He's riding WT next year with Lotto Soudal.
    Not heard of Kron before but he looked like a proper racer.

Moved up to 5th overall in GC too, which is not to be sniffed at.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm

Søren Kragh feels almost middle aged at 26 in comparison to some of these kids, but nice stage win today in the TdF. More to come from him, I reckon.

Surprised you haven't made anything of the input Mikkel Berg apparently had on Pogacar's TT. Went on a recon with Pogacar and provided invaluable advice on how to ride it apparently.
    Team My Man 2022:

• m.r.m.
    Oh could you link that? Sounds very interesting! :)
  • DeadCalm
    m.r.m. said:

It's in an interview with Allan Peiper on cyclingnews. Not everyone's favourite media outlet, but here's the link.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/dreaming-big-and-keeping-faith-allan-peiper-on-uaes-tour-de-france-win/
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm said:

Surprised you haven't made anything of the input Mikkel Berg apparently had on Pogacar's TT. Went on a recon with Pogacar and provided invaluable advice on how to ride it apparently.
    I didn't have a source to link, but he was interviewed on DK TV the day of the TT. Thought it might be stretching it a bit to credit him with the win though :blush:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    DeadCalm said:

m.r.m. said:

It's in an interview with Allan Peiper on cyclingnews. Not everyone's favourite media outlet, but here's the link.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/dreaming-big-and-keeping-faith-allan-peiper-on-uaes-tour-de-france-win/
    Allan Peiper is one of cycling's good guys. He's curious about everything, completely genuine and has an infectious enthusiasm that makes you believe in what he's proposing. He was part of the group that I did my first ever 200 km ride with and he spent all day checking in with everyone, ensuring we were refuelling consistently and telling us we could do it. And we did (even if I did get hit by a car about 3 kms before the end).
  • m.r.m.
    Seems like an inefficient way of getting out of riding. :wink:

Glad you're okay to tell the tale!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    A driver was passing our line of riders, drifted in and the wing mirror clipped my elbow. The car sped off, and I had a high speed wobble that I somehow managed to keep upright and not taken anyone out in the group. After gathering my thoughts I completed the last 3 kms, with a slightly out of true front wheel.
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

I didn't have a source to link, but he was interviewed on DK TV the day of the TT. Thought it might be stretching it a bit to credit him with the win though :blush:
    If I could prove he'd had croissants for breakfast I'd be claiming it as a victory for France.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Denmark one of the most winning countries in the world since 2010
    Gold medal table:

https://m.feltet.dk/nyheder/danskerne_naestbedst_i_10erne_vil_guldhoesten_fortsaette/
  • rick_chasey
    Tyskland?
  • Germany. My best guess would have been Poland due to Tyskie beer,
  • Germany. My best guess would have been Poland due to Tyskie beer,

I’d agree. Think it’s both road and TT which would make sense as Tony Martin must of win 3 or 4 golds

• Dammit, I completely forgot the labels were all in Danish, sorry.

Tyskland is indeed Germany. It's full of Tyskere that speak Tysk.
  • And yes, covers TT as well.
  • rick_chasey

Dammit, I completely forgot the labels were all in Danish, sorry.

All the others made sense but Tysk was way out for me.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited September 2020

All the others made sense but Tysk was way out for me.
    I'm disappointed in you Rick, and so are your ancestors.

West Frisian: Tsjutsk (“German”) (obsolete)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    So Tyskie, the Polish beer, is basically called "german"?
  • So Tyskie, the Polish beer, is basically called "german"?

Not in Polish.
  • m.r.m.

tsk tsk tsk... :wink: