TDF 2020 - Stage 14: Clermont-Ferrand - Lyon 194km *Spoilers*

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Sunweb are having a blinder. It's great to see a team executing tactics so well.

Bling who?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    ITV saying Sagan has gain 33 points which I don't think is right. I would have thought it was 24.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Porte getting back.on was unlike him. Maybe we will see something from.him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Yet another stage you could use as a tactic 101 course by sunweb
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Which Sunweb rider said „"What the f..k, we made it" (in English), when they had their little congratulory get-together?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    jimmyjams said:

Which Sunweb rider said „"What the f..k, we made it" (in English), when they had their little congratulory get-together?

Benoot. I should point out that f@ck on the continent does not carry much heat.... tends to be used like you’d use “fiddle sticks”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

It’s the upside of their “we are always a team” vibe. Downside is your top riders leave....
  • Joy for Denmark fans globally :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors

Joy for Denmark fans globally :)

We all win
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Great Tour so far. Looking forward to tomorrow.
  • mididoctors

ITV saying Sagan has gain 33 points which I don't think is right. I would have thought it was 24.

2nd at the bonus sprint? +4th ... Yes?
  • mididoctors

It’s the upside of their “we are always a team” vibe. Downside is your top riders leave....
    Baby Spartacus is special but the rest are good .. I reckon you could do a sunweb with the riders at trek or CCC or ag2r .
  • TheBigBean

They forgot Bennett got 10 points. Net gain 23.
  • ITV saying Sagan has gain 33 points which I don't think is right. I would have thought it was 24.

2nd at the bonus sprint? +4th ... Yes?
    Procycling has him 43 points back. Think they've calculated the gap wrong by over-carrying a ten to have him 33 short, then realised that's half of the 66 he was short before. That's then been given to the crew as "he's gained 33, which is half of the 66 he needed".
  • mididoctors

They forgot Bennett got 10 points. Net gain 23.
    Right ,
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    Awesome Toots What's My Number reference from Imlach. RIP.

https://youtu.be/UhH1Lxv-8sA
  • Ah, makes more sense.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    davidof said:

Sagan 4th

The beggar sat up and I had him on each way. 🤬
    Well played Sunweb, but again, the wrong rider for my pre-race pick.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jimmyjams said:

Which Sunweb rider said „"What the f..k, we made it" (in English), when they had their little congratulory get-together?

Benoot. I should point out that f@ck on the continent does not carry much heat.... tends to be used like you’d use “fiddle sticks”
    Yes, I know how it is used in German. About the same in this case as if Benoot had said 'What the devil; we made it'.
    I wasn't watching the screen at the time, so only heard the words, not who said them, and I was just momentarily surprised to hear English. Although I suppose inevitably the language used by two Danes, a Swiss, a Belgian, and a Dutchman (the little group after the finish) and indeed the whole team based on its make-up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Bloomin' 'eck that was fun.

Credit to Bora. A 100% Sagan would have pulled that off. Be interesting how SamB recovers for tomorrow. (Sagan too)

I wondered how useful Sunweb zonder Dumolin would be, becoming tactical geniuses I did not foresee!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    When Bora eliminate every sprinter on the stage for Sagan he finds to new ones to outsprint him. I wonder if Kamna and co will get fed up sacrificing their own opportunities? That said I think Sagan did well to be in contention at the end of a stage like that but he's just lacking that sprint speed of old.

It was interesting to see Bernal have a go albeit briefly. It was a sharp effort too.
  • TheBigBean
    alan_a said:

The ITV commentary team annoys me.

At least we have choice ... Imagine only having duffers for years on end punctuated with suitcase of courage sherwen and legget .. I think hours of listening to anyone is grating after a while truth be told
    "If WvA is allowed to go for the finish" . He's gone for every other one. Why wouldn't he? Why ask the Bora DS this after the usual five minute introductionary ramble to a question? What about asking about the main threats he sees today - that might elicit an interesting answer.

Send them a strongly worded email ...
    I'm fighting a losing battle. "Expert" pundits have contaminated every sport.

I found it really interesting when Strauss retired and joined the Sky cricket commentary team. He was able to explain the tactics rather than declare them wrong.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting!
    Is this not exactly what David M does, he fortells possible tactics and explains them as they are happening. I love his input, possibly best sports expert broadcasting just now.
    Yes, but I sometimes think he overdoes it and finds tactics where there are none.
  • alan_a said:

The ITV commentary team annoys me.

At least we have choice ... Imagine only having duffers for years on end punctuated with suitcase of courage sherwen and legget .. I think hours of listening to anyone is grating after a while truth be told
    "If WvA is allowed to go for the finish" . He's gone for every other one. Why wouldn't he? Why ask the Bora DS this after the usual five minute introductionary ramble to a question? What about asking about the main threats he sees today - that might elicit an interesting answer.

Send them a strongly worded email ...
    I'm fighting a losing battle. "Expert" pundits have contaminated every sport.

I found it really interesting when Strauss retired and joined the Sky cricket commentary team. He was able to explain the tactics rather than declare them wrong.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting!
    Is this not exactly what David M does, he fortells possible tactics and explains them as they are happening. I love his input, possibly best sports expert broadcasting just now.
    Yes, but I sometimes think he overdoes it and finds tactics where there are none.
    Movistar?
  • Pross said:

When Bora eliminate every sprinter on the stage for Sagan he finds to new ones to outsprint him. I wonder if Kamna and co will get fed up sacrificing their own opportunities? That said I think Sagan did well to be in contention at the end of a stage like that but he's just lacking that sprint speed of old.

He's definitely lacking the top end sprint speed of his old/in form self, but having to bridge a gap himself on a climb in run up (unlike the two guys that beat him) certainly didn't help either.
  • Good to see that Sagan has learned from his relegation in his last sprint not to head other riders out of the way.................
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    jimmyjams said:

jimmyjams said:

Yes, I know how it is used in German. About the same in this case as if Benoot had said 'What the devil; we made it'.
    I wasn't watching the screen at the time, so only heard the words, not who said them, and I was just momentarily surprised to hear English. Although I suppose inevitably the language used by two Danes, a Swiss, a Belgian, and a Dutchman (the little group after the finish) and indeed the whole team based on its make-up.
    I mean that's basically how it is used amongst English speakers who aren't boomers too!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

The pure emotion from the team car after @kraghsoren and the guys smashed it at the #TDF2020 today is giving us all the feels 😍👏🏻#KeepChallenging pic.twitter.com/15PGAq3l15

— Team Sunweb (@TeamSunweb) September 12, 2020
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Anyone spot this dude at the time..?

https://youtu.be/1T-L4FB0HfM
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iantr
    iantr Posts: 31
    He had one job. He went too soon. Editing can’t hide it.

In any case, this is old hat now. And when something goes wrong and (tour) riders get hurt there will be hell to pay...
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Anyone spot this dude at the time..?

https://youtu.be/1T-L4FB0HfM

Do the kids still call it gapping?