First road bike

First time posting here! I am preparing to buy my first road bike and to eventually join my village cycling club. However, I have questions about the exciting, scary and expensive purchase!

I'm thinking of starting with purchasing a second hand winter bike to start off with. I have a Ribble 7005 winter that's being sold second hand for £350 (I'm 6'4" and the frame is a 62 so seems like a great potential first purchase) and wondered what people's thoughts were on this as a first road bike? My only worry is the lack of tyre clearance as it only fits 23s well and not easy to get away with 25s from my understanding.

What are peoples thoughts on the above and riding a winter bike with 23s?

Thank you so much!

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Are you sure it only takes 23mm tyres? It's a winter trainer, which kind of implies it could take bigger tyres.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I have an old (2008) Bianchi that I use as a winter bike. I have used p-clips to attach full mudguards, PDW. This means that 23mm tyres are the biggest I can fit, but it has not caused me any problems with grip in the winter.

I you get the bike ride it through next summer until you have the experience to know exactly what you want in a summer bike.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    The 7005 was my first road bike and represents good value for that. Ride is fine, not as heavy as some other budget bikes so I'd consider it. I ran 23mm tyres over several Scottish winters. Only lost grip once and that was my fault not the bike's.

It's now my turbo bike and/or garage clothes hanger!