TDF 2020 - Stage 11 Châtelaillon-Plage - Poitiers 167.5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Buchmann lost another 5 mins today.
  • Sagan lurch was at a barrier kick.out ... WVA may let it go.

It wasn't - it was where there are a couple of adverts, but the barriers are straight.

This is the gap he was going for.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Slight bit I think there is a kick out - not much admittedly.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

Hmmm, the relegation I think is fair, losing the extra points makes the green jersey competition a bit more dull though...

Once you decide he was in the wrong you have to work with the rules though.

ddraver said:

Hmmm, the relegation I think is fair, losing the extra points makes the green jersey competition a bit more dull though...

Cav had the same in 2009 and that royally screwed up the points jersey comp.
    Are you suggesting that I base my judgement on some Rules, no doubt from some scroungers at the EU, rather than what is best for my own entertainment???

That's not the Brexit Britain way, sirs!!

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Show me on the doll where the man leaned into you.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    When Cav finished with a two finger salute he got in trouble. Presumably WvA is fine as he was a bit more subtle.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Looked to me like he was going for a gap, that he then realised wasn't there and had to do something to avoid crashing. Entirely his own fault, but no malice in it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 said:

Looked to me like he was going for a gap, that he then realised wasn't there and had to do something to avoid crashing. Entirely his own fault, but no malice in it.

Nah. Could have stopped pedalling, possibly brushed van Aert instead of barged him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited September 2020
    Was as bad as his barge in 2017
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

When Cav finished with a two finger salute he got in trouble. Presumably WvA is fine as he was a bit more subtle.

Only half as bad. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    gsk82 said:

First time maybe but he then repeated it and pushed Van Aert another metre or two across the road. They're in the bus lane or whatever it is on the photo above and ended up over near the centre line where Bennett and Ewan had been minding their own business.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I reckon from the overhead he could have squeezed through and dam near won if he hadn't barged WVA
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Certainly ruined the green jersey competition. He did over do the push though.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Watched this on my phone in the office - didn't spot the Sagan controversy till now!

Clearly deserved a relegation for that IMO. You can't just do it when there is a crash or it is meaningless.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Ugh Ewan.

WvA should be more concerned with trying to win starting his sprint 300m out. He’s really good...but not that good!!
  • rick_chasey
    Would also like to put the otherwise immaculate tv director on the naughty step for not running the helishot from 2km out enough.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited September 2020
    Apparently they've got a new director this year. The loving slow motion replays of nothing happening I could do without, but there's noticeably more aerial shots these days. Usually they're well chosen, too - appreciate the complaint of not seeing it from further out, but when echelons have threatened the aerial shots of riders circulating through have really helped show what's happening.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    big Sagan fan but even I can see that was bad. Im amazed at all the fans saying he was moving to avoid a selfie stick , barriers etc.

Right call in the end, he chose the wrong side and the gap disappeared, he should have eased up rather than force a gap for himself.

Going to be in interesting few days now and IF he does claim green will be well deserved. Nice to see him have to fight for it rather than have it sown up after the first week
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Ugh Ewan.

WvA should be more concerned with trying to win starting his sprint 300m out. He’s really good...but not that good!!

I don't know, had it not been for the contact from Sagan he may well have held on. He probably has a better chance with a long sprint than relying on pure speed.
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    edited September 2020

I don't know, had it not been for the contact from Sagan he may well have held on.
    I think that's not far off. WvA pulled the pin too early but if Sagan hadn't barged past he may well have held on. Good job WvA isn't Groenewegen...
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • rick_chasey
    Roglic & Martin aside, I am really falling for the Jumbo team.

Always had a soft spot for obvious reasons, but I'm really enjoying them this Tour.

Even if I see some of the same old faces I've seen for the last decade and roll my eyes...
  • There might be a certain poetic justice in the fact that Sagan may well have shot himself in the foot and handed the Green Jersey to Bennett, given that Bora (and perhaps Sagan himself) refused to allow Bennett ride the Tour for the last two years.

DD.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

Always had a soft spot for obvious reasons, but I'm really enjoying them this Tour.

Even if I see some of the same old faces I've seen for the last decade and roll my eyes...

Shocker as Dutchie falls in love with a Dutch team that's winning at the TdF!
  • pblakeney said:

Only half as bad. 😉
    Van Aert got given a 200 Swiss Franc fine.
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash said:

Shocker as Dutchie falls in love with a Dutch team that's winning at the TdF!
    I AM SHOCKED.

They used to be so budget though, and I don't mean in terms of actual money, but stuff like Mollema getting cramp in the final Tour TT when going for top 5 because he decided to ride the new TT bike for the first time.

Or their tactics, holy moly they used to be appalling.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Those official ratings quoted in OP - what has Cees Bol done to deserve equal star ranking with the other two?? Or was it done before the race...

Since the race hasn't been raced yet, it was done before the race. :D

Allegedly he much prefers an uphill sprint and given Sunweb have been producing by far the best lead out, but not necessarily at the right time.....

It would be nice if somebody posted their alternative list occasionally, if they have any particular thoughts.
    Especially in the stages to follow, which are much more open.
    I'm only guessing here.

So... Where did Bol come? Somewhere miles back. Not really sure what happened, I was only watching on my phone but don't remember seeing the Sunweb sprinting train getting swamped too early like usual.

I assume if they weren't in contention at all then there must have been some mechanical or crash issue earlier in the stage that I missed.

INRNG's preview for yesterday, went to check if he had anything to say in the Stage 11 summary: "Cees Bol keeps looking good until the finishing straight when he and his Sunweb leadout get swamped like a boat on Austin’s Lake Travis. Worse for him today is the uphill finish, it’s not ruinous but just a touch harder for him." - so not sure about the uphill thingy...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

So... Where did Bol come? Somewhere miles back. Not really sure what happened, I was only watching on my phone but don't remember seeing the Sunweb sprinting train getting swamped too early like usual.

Sunweb played their strategy perfectly.
    Until 20kms out, then vanished. 🤬
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hey! Eurosport!

This is what race analysis looks like!!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2020
    edit
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.