Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,693

Schwalbe one pro, Well I have ordered 2 old pairs because I think they take some beating, and one pair of the latest the new ones in 25 mm., I will let you know how they mount, and hopefully tell you all how good they are in a few months

I know what the thread title is called but just to be clear, have you gone for the tubeless or tubed variety?

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/schwalbe-pro-one-tubeless-tyre-released/
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    The New schwalbe ones tyres arrived , I fitted them yesterday easy on , they have held air since yesterday afternoon without any sealant , one problem I cannot go out due to being at risk of this covid 19 ,I received a letter on Tuesday from the nhs telling me to stay in for 12 weeks, so I will let you all know how I get on with them hopefully in July
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    teebs_123 said:

I picked up a new bike a month or so ago which came fitted with Mavic pro Carbon SL UST wheels & Mavic tubeless tyres. It's my first time on Tubeless and i'm pretty impressed. Comfort is improved, no dreaded punctures & rolling resistance appears better than my old set up with tubes & Conti 4000s2. I understand that the Mavic tyres are rebranded Hutchinson Fusion 5? The only thing I would change is that I could only spec the tyres in 25mm - I'll go for 28mm when they need replacing..

Are you sure they are actually running tubeless? I would have thought shops would just stick a tube in any tyre and leave you to convert to tubeless. If they are, do you know if there is sealant in there?
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    arsey said:

teebs_123 said:

I picked up a new bike a month or so ago which came fitted with Mavic pro Carbon SL UST wheels & Mavic tubeless tyres. It's my first time on Tubeless and i'm pretty impressed. Comfort is improved, no dreaded punctures & rolling resistance appears better than my old set up with tubes & Conti 4000s2. I understand that the Mavic tyres are rebranded Hutchinson Fusion 5? The only thing I would change is that I could only spec the tyres in 25mm - I'll go for 28mm when they need replacing..

Are you sure they are actually running tubeless? I would have thought shops would just stick a tube in any tyre and leave you to convert to tubeless. If they are, do you know if there is sealant in there?
    Really?

Yes, they're tubeless.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I'm looking for a suggestion for a 32mm tubeless tyre for my Cervelo c3.
    I have 28mm IRC FORMULA PRO TUBELESS X-GUARDS at the moment. I have a pair of 36mm irc boken on my Canyon Grail but they are too wide for the C3.
    Cervélo say 32mm is the widest for the C3, allowing the min ISO safety clearance of 4mm between fork / frame and tyre
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    moonshine said:

I'm looking for a suggestion for a 32mm tubeless tyre for my Cervelo c3.
    I have 28mm IRC FORMULA PRO TUBELESS X-GUARDS at the moment. I have a pair of 36mm irc boken on my Canyon Grail but they are too wide for the C3.
    Cervélo say 32mm is the widest for the C3, allowing the min ISO safety clearance of 4mm between fork / frame and tyre

GP 5000's come in 32mm and in personal experience are super fast, you'll definitely feel the difference over the IRC X Guards.

However, if puncture protection is more important than speed the Pirelli Cinturato comes in 32mm.
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    I can recommend Gravelkings, they come in a variety of tread patterns and sizes.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

davidof said:

I was a bit disappointing that my Hutchinson Fusions have split after about 1000km (rear). The liquid sealed the split on the right, but not the one on the left. Tire is junk anyway now I think. After a 7 years with tubeless now thinking of going back to tubetype which I have on my winter bike and just work without any major issues for me.

Or try a different tyre.
    I have, ones with inner tubes. What a great idea but I doubt they'll catch on.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    😔
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    What are your thoughts on the "money no object" best fitting tyres for Mavic UST rims from the pretty tiny range at Evans? To further limit it, I was after 25c and at the sturdier winter use end of things rather than racing. Can't really see any good options:

https://www.evanscycles.com/bike-components/bike-tyres_c/road-discipline/tubeless_ready-rim_type?sort=price_inc_vat
  • troj
    troj Posts: 43
    Does anybody know how the conti 28mm and 32mm measure up on 24mm rims??
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    edited May 2020
    troj said:

Inner width or outside rim.?
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    troj said:

GP5000s? I'd expect something not much over ~29mm and ~33.5mm respectively, they size up very similar to 4 Seasons rather than 28mm GP4000S IIs that measure ~31.5mm+.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • troj
    troj Posts: 43
    orlok said:

troj said:

Inner width or outside rim.?
    It will be run on Pacenti Forza rims 24mm outer and just under 20mm inner.
  • orlok
    edited May 2020
    I think that it will be between 28 and 29 mm because on ETRTO the width of tires depends on their corresponding rims like: 23 on 13C, 25 en 15C and 28 on 18C rims. Yours are under 20, so I think 19C. ;)
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    edited June 2020
    Merlin have a good offer on Schwalbe Pro One's at £31.99
    https://merlincycles.com/schwalbe-pro-one-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-tyre-700c-89170.html?loggedIn=1

Any other good offers?
  • orlok
    Too expensive for the old Pro One's. You can/must find cheaper on the internet.!
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    They've got 25 mm Schwalbe Ones (without the Pro) at £19.99 each. I bought a set out of curiosity, but they're too big to fit under the mudguards on my winter bike (measure 28mm) so I probably won't use them as I prefer more supple tyres on the good bike. They seem quite heavy and rigid and were pretty hard to get on the rim, but easy to inflate.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Ooooh..... gumwall tubeless Veloflex!

https://www.veloflex.it/en/tubeless-ready
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Ooooh..... gumwall tubeless Veloflex!

https://www.veloflex.it/en/tubeless-ready
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Am looking for fast rolling tyres for the gravel bike I’m about to buy which I’ll be using mainly on the commute but also on gravel rides at weekends. Preferably looking for something around 35mm (could go bigger if needed), with good puncture protection. I have used the X guards in 28mm size with much joy, but they’ll be smaller than I’m wanting on the new bike.

Any suggestions?
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Recommendations please Stans, Dynaplug or other systems road tyre use only.
  • orlok

Am looking for fast rolling tyres for the gravel bike I’m about to buy which I’ll be using mainly on the commute but also on gravel rides at weekends. Preferably looking for something around 35mm (could go bigger if needed), with good puncture protection. I have used the X guards in 28mm size with much joy, but they’ll be smaller than I’m wanting on the new bike.

Any suggestions?

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    orlok said:

Any suggestions?

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews

Thank you
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345
    edited September 2020
    A short review of Pirelli Cinturo (700 x 26) on Ultegra 6800 Wheelset with Cafe Latex Sealant.

Fitting not too difficult, wouldn't mount at first put with sealant they went up fine with my, basically broken, track pump. Wouldn't stay up at first but ok now.

Came off Pirelli P-Zeros which (for tubed tyres) were great in Europe but no good for mucky cornish lanes (although they held up pretty good to be fair...).

The Cinturi (ugo?) feel much better in that respect and now I'm back to tubeless (running at 6bar - will reduce) don't appear to feel much slower - but as I'm coming back from a knee injury and haven't ridden much since last November...everything seems slow right now. Not as schweet feeling as Pro Ones, but they just get shredded round here.

Note - they seem smaller than the 25s, I'd have gone 28c if I'd known. 28c usually are a little too close for comfort on my bike

-----------
    Edit - the instructions say I should add tape to the wheels, even if they don't need it - which I did'nt do. May have helped with the initial mounting.

------------
    Edit Edit - Still up 24 hrs later so giving them a ride found all the gaps twixt rim and tyre bead (hmmm?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wilkij1975
    wilkij1975 Posts: 531
    edited October 2020
    Anyone tried the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons? Seen a good write up on them. I don’t do the summer and winter bike/wheel thing so need a good allrounder. Will be going on Hunt 4 Season Gravel wheels.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The fastest tyre in the world for £34.99 from Merlin.

I rode the older version of these last year, which were on sale for £28.50, and they are rapid. The rears wear out pretty quickly (~1000 mi), but the front goes on and on. They are a very thin tyre so they do pick up punctures (just the rear for me), but most of mine sealed fine, and those that didn't I plugged with a Dynaplug. No dramas and worth it IMO for the ultimate in ride quality and speed.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Anyone seen a good price on Conti GP5000 TL's in 28mm?