• richard_t._biscuit
    richard_t._biscuit Posts: 246
    edited September 2020
    Gary Imlach: "[Sagan] broke the law in a specific and limited way"

:D
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    RichN95. said:

I'm not sure he'll get DQed for that. It looked more accidental contact to me.

And that opinion will seal Sagan's fate.

Watch this video, it's not accidental he pushes Wout out of the way, knows exactly what he is doing.

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Ladagnous gets the combativity award. Controversial, lol.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    50x11 said:

RichN95. said:

I'm not sure he'll get DQed for that. It looked more accidental contact to me.

And that opinion will seal Sagan's fate.

I agree now I've had a better look
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sagan lurch was at a barrier kick.out ... WVA may let it go.

He might, but the race jury won't.
    Not after Poland.
    Otherwise this sport is farked up.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    The leadership of PTP hinges on the Sagan decision
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Recommend watching the last 20 km or so of T-A for those that have that option.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Sagan lurch was at a barrier kick.out ... WVA may let it go.

It wasn't - it was where there are a couple of adverts, but the barriers are straight.

This is the gap he was going for.

• I still think it's possible - if a little unlikely - he was going for a gap found it narrowed and had to use WVA to steady himself rather than just thought I can make that gap bigger by sticking my shoulder into him.

I don't agree it affected the result - except to allow himself through for second of course ! I don't see it affecting anyone's sprint.

How good must their bike handling be to do that and not even break their sprint though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • 50x11
    Strange amount of people on twitter defending Sagan, on the hypothetical that if WVA had closed him into the barriers it'd have been more dangerous.
  • 50x11
    Sagan relegated to last place in the group.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Dunno if it's just the flandrians I've met, but I do like their understated attitude to life....

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Bora management in the UCI truck, never a good sign.
  • 50x11

I still think it's possible - if a little unlikely - he was going for a gap found it narrowed and had to use WVA to steady himself rather than just thought I can make that gap bigger by sticking my shoulder into him.

I don't agree it affected the result - except to allow himself through for second of course ! I don't see it affecting anyone's sprint.

How good must their bike handling be to do that and not even break their sprint though.

I assume then you've not watched it? Look at the video I posted above Bennet and WVA have to adjust and stop pedalling.

Any way he's been sanctioned.
  • I still think it's possible - if a little unlikely - he was going for a gap found it narrowed and had to use WVA to steady himself rather than just thought I can make that gap bigger by sticking my shoulder into him.

I think he went for a gap that wasn't there yet, expecting Van Aert to move away from the barrier, and he didn't.

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    edited September 2020
    TdF app showing Sagan on 175 points (regs say 25% points penalty). Has he been penalised points or is that just without points for 2nd?
  • Looks like he should lose 25% of his points as well according to the regulations, if not DQ.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hmmm, the relegation I think is fair, losing the extra points makes the green jersey competition a bit more dull though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    First time I think he would have got away with, Wout veers slightly to the right and there was a bit of a bump but after that Sagan deliberately rides left and pushes him over into the path of Bennett who in turn almost went into Ewan. I think he's lucky to get away with the punishment he seems to have got based on that second movement.

Millar in commentary suggest WVA wouldn't go for the sprint as it was likely to be a bit dangerous and as his main job is to support Roglic it would be irresponsible to take the risk. That sprint very nearly proved him right.
  • TdF app showing Sagan on 175 points (regs say 25% points penalty). Has he been penalised points or is that just without points for 2nd?

He was on 175 points yesterday - not sure if he has been deducted points or just lost all of those from the today's intermediate.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    ddraver said:

Hmmm, the relegation I think is fair, losing the extra points makes the green jersey competition a bit more dull though...

Once you decide he was in the wrong you have to work with the rules though.
  • ddraver said:

Cav had the same in 2009 and that royally screwed up the points jersey comp.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

Looks like he should lose 25% of his points as well according to the regulations, if not DQ.

I think it's not 25% of his points, but 25% of the points available to the stage winner - in this case 50. So it will be a 12.5 point deduction I think. Which will keep him in second.
  • When Sagan goes to the barriers he actually shuts the door on a rider coming through on his right as well.

Relegation definitely deserved, and a points penalty should follow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I see the decision is going down about as well as expected on totally normally adjusted social media...

• 50x11 said:

I still think it's possible - if a little unlikely - he was going for a gap found it narrowed and had to use WVA to steady himself rather than just thought I can make that gap bigger by sticking my shoulder into him.

I assume then you've not watched it? Look at the video I posted above Bennet and WVA have to adjust and stop pedalling.

Any way he's been sanctioned.
    I watched it and have just rewatched and don't see Bennett stop pedaling.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • richard_t._biscuit
    richard_t._biscuit Posts: 246
    edited September 2020
    ddraver said:

Maybe, but in the process of getting himself DQed Sagan did finally seem to have some legs in the sprint. He might not let green go without a fight. Could definitely see him and Bora fighting for some breakaways and spicing up the first part of stages, especially since Buchmann isn't really in contention in GC.