55th Tirreno-Adriatico, September 7th to 14th 2020 *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited September 2020 in Pro race
It's going to be a busy week, next week, as there is extensive coverage of Tirreno-Adriatico on both tv and the net.
Eurosport have stage 1 live on all platforms and all stages are live via the player. TV coverage shifts to directly after the finish of the Tour stages.
So, if you fancy spending 8 hours at a stretch watching racing, next week is for you!

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Stage 3:

Stage 4:

Stage 5:

Stage 6:

Stage 7:

Stage 8:

25 teams of 7 riders each are taking part and they are:

UCI WORLDTEAMS – 19

AG2R LA MONDIALE (FRA) – DILLIER, VENDRAME
ASTANA PRO TEAM (KAZ) – FUGLSANG, VLASOV
BAHRAIN – MCLAREN (BRN) – TEUNS, CAVENDISH
BORA – HANSGROHE (GER) – MAJKA, ACKERMANN
CCC TEAM (POL) – BARTA, BEVIN
COFIDIS (FRA) – HERRADA, MATE
DECEUNINCK – QUICK-STEP (BEL) – BALLERINI, KNOX
EF PRO CYCLING (USA) – WOODS, CLARKE
GROUPAMA – FDJ (FRA) – ROUX, BRUNEL
ISRAEL START-UP NATION (ISR) – BRÄNDLE, CIMOLAI
LOTTO SOUDAL (BEL) – HANSEN, GOOSSENS
MITCHELTON – SCOTT (AUS) – YATES S., AFFINI
MOVISTAR TEAM (ESP) – VILLELLA, CARRETERO
NTT PRO CYCLING TEAM (RSA) – MEINTJES, BATTISTELLA
TEAM INEOS (GBR) – FROOME, THOMAS
TEAM JUMBO – VISMA (NED) – TEUNISSEN, VAN EMDEN
TEAM SUNWEB (GER) – MATTHEWS, KELDERMAN
TREK – SEGAFREDO (USA) – NIBALI V., CICCONE?
UAE TEAM EMIRATES (UAE) – GAVIRIA, MCNULTY

PRO CONTI
TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE (FRA) – TERPSTRA, GAUDIN

WILD CARD – 5

ALPECIN – FENIX (BEL) – VAN DER POEL, MERLIER
ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI – SIDERMEC (ITA) – BAGIOLI, RIVERA SERRANO
BARDIANI CSF FAIZANÈ (ITA) – CARBONI, PELUCCHI
GAZPROM – RUSVELO (RUS) – CANOLA, CIMA
VINI ZABÙ KTM (ITA) – VISCONTI, WACKERMANN
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Ineos's B team is lot better than Jumbo's B team
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Ganna taking Thomas safely through 3km and stayed on the front. I thought he was going to just ride off, absolute monster!

Pile up inside the final 2k.
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020
    Ackermann from way back getting through gaps that were barely there
  • Pross
    Gaviria went long and looked like taking it but Ackerman somehow came through in the last few metres from miles back. Petit took advantage of the post crash chaos to ride off the front 1km out and opened a huge gap that I thought would hold everyone off but he died about 400m out.

Ackerman's sprint was superb.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,675
    How on earth did he get through those gaps (or non-gaps)?

I think Gaviria was thinking the exact same thing.
  • Pross
    Everyone seems to have come out of the crash OK, very high speed. One Sunweb rider a bit ripped up.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2020
    RichN95. said:

Ackermann from way back getting through gaps that were barely there

Rick will come calling later.
    Dainese looked to come out of it the worst.
    Nibali had a very minor touchdown.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • But yeah, sprinters should stay in lanes to sprint...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    *whispers*

Ackerman's sprint was possible BECAUSE everyone else held their lines
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Gaviria's sprint was straight, fortunately for Ackerman. Could have been nasty a little way back where the barrier came in
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020

Gaviria's sprint was straight, fortunately for Ackerman. Could have been nasty a little way back where the barrier came in

Indeed. Who signed this off?

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Ack > Gav > Zab
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Caught a glimpse of Froome in the final 10km and he looked to be really struggling to hold the wheel. He's not lost any time yet to the GC contenders, and I know he's there in support of Thomas, but he's finished very near the back of the bunch on both days which is unlike him. I've previously predicted that he would win the Vuelta. I'm not so sure now.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm said:

Caught a glimpse of Froome in the final 10km and he looked to be really struggling to hold the wheel. He's not lost any time yet to the GC contenders, and I know he's there in support of Thomas, but he's finished very near the back of the bunch on both days which is unlike him. I've previously predicted that he would win the Vuelta. I'm not so sure now.

He was riding on the front until about 5km then dropped back
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

He was riding on the front until about 5km then dropped back
    Fair enough. I was watching on my phone due to an internet outage caused by heavy rain (genuinely) and could only make out riders when they went to a close-up. I saw there were three Ineos on the front but none of them looked like Froome. I presumed he was one of the three that were trying unsuccessfully to join them.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Just watched it again. This time on my TV. Froome did indeed put in a brief stint until 5 km to go. I totally missed it.
    Team My Man 2022:

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He was one of the ones in front (Ganna and Dennis being the others I think). The ones moving up were Geoghegan-Hart and Thomas.
  • DeadCalm
    The 3 that I thought were unsuccessful in joining the three at the front clearly had made it and I didn't see Froome struggling in the last 5km. I'm not going to comment based on what I see on my phone in future.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Pross
    He was on bottle duty yesterday too.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    DeadCalm said:

The 3 that I thought were unsuccessful in joining the three at the front clearly had made it and I didn't see Froome struggling in the last 5km. I'm not going to comment based on what I see on my phone in future.

It was a bit chaotic. Matt Stephens spotted Thomas towards the back of the peloton with about 10kms to go and mentioned it on commentary. I'm not sure why he was so far back, but in the end the team did a good job of getting him back up front and then Ganna did one of his monster turns to get him to the 3 km to go mark. Then MVDP did a 2 km turn for the hell of it.

Froome did a decent turn before he peeled off.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Closely contested sprint there... Gav had to barge his way through but not enough to get over the line first...
  • RichN95.
    When Froome had dropped back after this turn he was fighting to stay on the back of the peloton, which is probably Dead Calm saw. The fact that he didn't just drop off the back like a normal domestique may suggest he fancies doing a little GC ride amongst his dom duties.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

When Froome had dropped back after this turn he was fighting to stay on the back of the peloton, which is probably Dead Calm saw. The fact that he didn't just drop off the back like a normal domestique may suggest he fancies doing a little GC ride amongst his dom duties.

Dom duties sounds decidedly dodgy and conjures up images I'd rather forget.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Dom duties sounds decidedly dodgy and conjures up images I'd rather forget.
    Imagine how I feel living in Germany where every other hotel near a church is called Dom Hotel.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Quite strung out with 55km to go, EF have just taken over the front from Ineos.

Ben Thomas solo with a 1'20" lead over a 6 man chasing group with the peloton at around 4'30".
  • Pross
    Thomas caught by the rest of the break and EF have knocked the lead down to 2'30" in no time.
  • DeadCalm
    Who are EF riding for?
    Team My Man 2022:

• Pross
    Don't know, Woods for GC presumably.
  • Pross
    edited September 2020
    1'15" lead with 20km to go. Frapporti has ridden off the front of the break on a descent.
  • Pross
    Touch and go whether the break will get caught according to Stephens, I think they will quite comfortably.