S-Works Tarmac SL2 (2009) super commuter project

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Made a start sanding the frame last night.
    Couple oh hours got me about half way

Dropped s little bit of weight off. Not massive but there's not actually a whole lot of paint on this frame, most is clear over raw carbon

• dannbodge
    Frame completely sanded and ready for painting

Knocked 80g off through paint removal and could have gone further.

• dannbodge
    All primed up, sanded flat then decal colour done, followed by the decal masks.
    Was going to do the first colour tonight but I'll wait till tomorrow now as I'm in no rush and would rather the paint was 100% dry.

Bqck

• dannbodge
    Finished painting this yesterday, so will be doing an update tomorrow or Sunday after I've polished it up.
    Also got some carbon goodies for the build.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Excellent work so far, can’t wait to see how it all turned out.
  • dannbodge
    Had a bit of an issue the last couple of days. Everyone I hold the frame for any length of time or any pressure, the paint just moveds and breaks through.

Apparently the paint I used (Montana Black) never goes hard and is even worse if it's cleared over too.

So either, I strip it down and get some proper cellulose mixed paints or just deal with the finish as is (not happy with it really) as it's just a winter/commuter.

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Looks absolutely stunning!!

When you say "not happy with it really" you mean the paint's durability/permanence rather than the paint job's looks, right? Because, it looks absolutely amazing!!
  • dannbodge
    Harry182 said:

Looks absolutely stunning!!

When you say "not happy with it really" you mean the paint's durability/permanence rather than the paint job's looks, right? Because, it looks absolutely amazing!!

Bit of both. Mainly the durability but the paint job up close isn't the greatest, some of the masking tape bled etc.

I'm planning on polishing it on Tuesday and see what it's like then. It's still hung up in my shed with a dehumidifier blowing over it.
  • dannbodge
    Some more photos

Also reweighed them both. The forks are lighter than originally but the frame has gained about 80g

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Looks great.
    Did you get special socks to match the paint job?
  • dannbodge
    I do actually have some that are quite close.
    Not that it matters, most of the time on this bike I'll be in tights and overshoes.
  • dannbodge
    Just picked up the frame from being clear coated.

It's an average job at best, but it was just a pokey little garage so I'm not surprised.
    They've missed a bit and there are some runs on it underneath but i'm hoping it polishes up alright.

Pics tonight once I've polished it.
  • dannbodge
    Spoilers
    Build will be finished tomorrow night (bar wheels)

• Awesome work.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    dannbodge said:

Spoilers
    Build will be finished tomorrow night (bar wheels)

That looks great. I am looking forward to seeing the finished bike.
  • Thats some awesome work.
    So Far!
  • Nice!
    left the forum March 2023
  • I've said it before - its amazing how a paint scheme can transform a bike.
    Looking simply superb - can't wait to see the finished article!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Loving your work. That looks great!
  • dannbodge
    Got it finished today. Just waiting for my Cero AR30s to turn up.
    At the moment it weighs 7.7kg but I'll save 300g with the wheels.
    Add the mudguards back on (SKS raceblade long) and it'll be back up to the 7.7kg

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Like!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I dont know what you do for a day job but if it looks as good in the flesh ,people would pay good money for work like that.
    I have worked in the car trade and have some expertise so I know I could do a good job but I would never have the imagination to put those colours together as you have. Well done.
  • dannbodge
    lesfirth said:

I dont know what you do for a day job but if it looks as good in the flesh ,people would pay good money for work like that.
    I have worked in the car trade and have some expertise so I know I could do a good job but I would never have the imagination to put those colours together as you have. Well done.

I'm a design engineer in new product development for a very large biopharmaceutical company. Basically I sit on CAD all day coming up with designs for new products.
  • Well done @dannbodge, what a gorgeous bike and the Ceros are a nice finishing touch.
    Surely the fanciest commuter bike on here?!!!

Has me seriously considering picking up an old Tarmac as a winter project to use for the days I really don’t want to get the SL6 covered in crap.
    Maybe wait till the crazy prices and demand calm a little....!

I wish you many happy miles ahead on that beauty.
  • bsharp77 said:

Has me seriously considering picking up an old Tarmac as a winter project to use for the days I really don’t want to get the SL6 covered in censored .

I can help you there. 😉
  • Clearly the bike looks amazing and everyone's riding position is personal but that saddle angle does not look comfy.
  • dannbodge

Clearly the bike looks amazing and everyone's riding position is personal but that saddle angle does not look comfy.

I've not had a chance to sort the position yet, I need to measure up my SL6 so I can transfer it across, but I normally run it nose down a little bit. Which for me is comfortable.
  • bsharp77 said:

Has me seriously considering picking up an old Tarmac as a winter project to use for the days I really don’t want to get the SL6 covered in censored .

I can help you there. 😉
    Dare I ask....?!!
  • bsharp77 said:

bsharp77 said:

I can help you there. 😉
    Dare I ask....?!!
    I have one.