TDF 2020: Sept 7th. Rest Day Rumours and Rumblings

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Only 2 teams have made it clear !? FFS they must be rife with it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2020

Only 2 teams have made it clear !? FFS they must be rife with it

Those teams got Ferrari and Leinders in to tell them how to pass the tests. Every rider has it apart from the French ones who have set up the MPCC (Mouvement Pour Contra Covid) and awarded themselves clean tests because they promised to wear a mask
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Seriously what are they going to do ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020

Seriously what are they going to do ?

The others may be clear too. Astana and Ineos just got tested early and seemingly made their results public
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    edited September 2020

News reaches me of a huge abandon:

Antoine Vayer (festinaboy), the jumped up PE teacher of pointy-fingered power-data hysterics and snidey insinuation fame, has deleted his Twitter account. Seems to have been caught on the wrong side of a controversy regarding an extremely sexist cartoon of Marion Rousse. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

The cartoon is clearly wrong. In general French women are comfortable with their sexuality so it is important not to judge these things from a repressed uptight anglo-saxon viewpoint but the image is purile and as said above is pretty disrespectful of Alaphilippe too.

Marion has posed in some fairly titillating clothing for photo shoots in the past so is clearly happy using her looks, but obviously on her terms.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • An hour and a half until the shit hits the fan (potentially). Must be some very, very nervous teams out there right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    Marion joined us for a bit in the lead car at Glasgow Euro Champs 2018. Utterly utterly charming and knowledgable. How you would want to take the piss out of her, or piss her off, I have no idea.

... except she inadvertently sat on my Oakley Jawbones and broke them :'(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Some justified concerns in Holland that jumbo have spent too much in the first 9 days, given from stage 14 onwards it’s always tough
  • Some justified concerns in Holland that jumbo have spent too much in the first 9 days, given from stage 14 onwards it’s always tough

Fancy that, I am shocked.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • An hour and a half until the censored hits the fan (potentially). Must be some very, very nervous teams out there right now.

So it seems:

"Team doctors will be able to access test results at 9am (BST) on Tuesday"

Pinot desperately hoping his excuse is in the mail?
  • Is this going to be the first time a rider with a positive test says "I have no idea how it got into my system" and we believe them?

Really hoping this doesn't turn into a farce.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

Is this going to be the first time a rider with a positive test says "I have no idea how it got into my system" and we believe them?

Well we know that the Gasquet excuse would not work in this context...
  • dish_dash said:

Is this going to be the first time a rider with a positive test says "I have no idea how it got into my system" and we believe them?

Well we know that the Gasquet excuse would not work in this context...
    If the punchline to this isn't "he must have blown a Gasquet" I don't want to know.
  • mididoctors
    All clear I hear on covid ? More or less
  • Isère
    14/09/2020 - Rest Day 2

Cycling: 338km of greenways, 254km of bike lanes developed by the CD38, a network of nearly 1,000km of signposted routes and 21 cycle tourist circuits, 13 dedicated and signposted routes for electric bikes, 18 climbs and passes including the ascent of Alpe d’Huez.
    Sport and culture: 3,000 sports clubs including Grenoble Métropole Hockey 38 (ice hockey, Magnus League), Grenoble Foot 38 (Ligue 2), FC Grenoble Rugby (Pro D2), CS Bourgoin Jallieu (rugby, Fédérale 1), Rugby Sassenage Isère (women’s rugby). Facilities: Stade des Alpes, Palais des Sports in Grenoble, 22 ski resorts, Alpe d’Huez Grand Ski Domain. Athletes: René Arnoux (motor racing, Formula 1), Brahim Asloum (boxing, Olympic champion in 2000), Raphaël Poirée (biathlon, multiple world champion). Events*: Alpe d’Huez Festival (comedy films), Vienne Jazz Festival,

Vercors Music Festival in Autrans, Berlioz Festival in La Côte Saint André, Vercors Music Festival, Rencontres Ciné Montagne de Grenoble (mountain film), Mountain film festival in Autrans , Vélo Vert Festival in Villard de Lans,

La Marmotte at Alpe d’Huez (cyclosportive), Ut4M (Ultratour of four massifs), Passerelles du Monteynard Trail Race, Échappée Belle (ultra-crossing of the Belledonne massif), Foulée Blanche at Autrans (ski marathon), EuroNordicWalk Vercors, Coupe Icare in Chartreuse (unpowered flight)

Gastronomy: Ravioli, gratin dauphinoise (sliced potatoes in milk or cream),

murçon (cured sausage), Vercors trout, Saint Marcellin and Bleu du Vercors Sassenage (cheeses), Grenoble nuts, Bourgoin brioche,

Antésite (liquorice liqueur), wine (Coteaux du Grésivaudan, Balmes Dauphinoises, Collines Rhodaniennes, Vitis Vienna) Chartreuse liqueur.

• Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Will Bernal withdraw now as out of it and maybe injured or just beaten up to recoup / has a previous winner won the tour again after being defeated on the road /
  • RichN95.
    Matti66 said:

Will Bernal withdraw now as out of it and maybe injured or just beaten up to recoup / has a previous winner won the tour again after being defeated on the road /

I think Hinault would have been the last in 1985
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Oh okay thanks
    RichN95. said:

Matti66 said:

I think Hinault would have been the last in 1985
    Oh Okay thanks, , thats a different beast though!
  • To be fair, not many riders have won it when they're scarcely out of the jnr ranks. He has a LOT of time on his side.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Yeah, the idea that he's somehow a busted flush for the rest of his career seems distinctly premature.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020

To be fair, not many riders have won it when they're scarcely out of the jnr ranks. He has a LOT of time on his side.

We all thought that about Ullrich, IIRC ;-)
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020

Yeah, the idea that he's somehow a busted flush for the rest of his career seems distinctly premature.

No, for sure. At the same time, the Belgians were saying the other day that just because they win early doesn't mean necessarily they will continue to do so.

They highlighted (in good parochial fashion) how Boonen almost didn't got to the Madrid worlds in 2005 for various reasons but also that, after all, he'll have plenty of opportunities in the future.

He ended up only getting on the World's podium once more and that was right at the back end of his career in the desert.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

To be fair, not many riders have won it when they're scarcely out of the jnr ranks. He has a LOT of time on his side.

I'm putting this one down to probable illness until I hear otherwise. But someone (RichN95 I believe) once posited a theory that Colombians peak and then decline earlier than European riders, possibly due to having an advantage growing up at altitude that diminishes the longer they spend riding in Europe. I do think that theory has merit, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bernal was a one-time winner of the Tour.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    DeadCalm said:

I'm putting this one down to probable illness until I hear otherwise. But someone (RichN95 I believe) once posited a theory that Colombians peak and then decline earlier than European riders, possibly due to having an advantage growing up at altitude that diminishes the longer they spend riding in Europe. I do think that theory has merit, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bernal was a one-time winner of the Tour.
    It looked to me like he just bonked or ran out of food or something.
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

Bonking is a possibility but would be downright amateur. Surely a team like Ineos (remember all the guff about their feeding strategy on the Froome wonder stage in the Giro) would never let that happen?

Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020
    DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Bonking is a possibility but would be downright amateur. Surely a team like Ineos (remember all the guff about their feeding strategy on the Froome wonder stage in the Giro) would never let that happen?

Ah it happens. You can also just properly crack and have a shocker.

I know we've not seen it in a long time from the top top riders, but it can definitely happen.
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

I know we've not seen it in a long time from the top top riders, but it can definitely happen.
    I know. Sorry, I was being facetious.

I would question your terminology though. I've bonked once. I was literally on my hands and knees contemplating the energy I could get from the dandelions on the grass verge. Thankfully I was in France and a passing lady on her way back from a shopping trip understood my predicament and stopped and gave me dried fruit and a can of Coke. Otherwise I don't know how I'd have made it home. If Bernal had a feeding issue, I'd describe it as a possible hunger knock.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Froome bonked / nearly bonked on that stage where Porte?? got fined for going back to the car after the latest feed didn't he?
  • DeadCalm
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Froome bonked / nearly bonked on that stage where Porte?? got fined for going back to the car after the latest feed didn't he?
    I was being facetious, making a little bit of fun out of the Ineos claim that they had so scientifically calculated Froome's calorific intake on that stage in the Giro.
    Team My Man 2022:

• rick_chasey
    DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

I know. Sorry, I was being facetious.

I would question your terminology though. I've bonked once. I was literally on my hands and knees contemplating the energy I could get from the dandelions on the grass verge. Thankfully I was in France and a passing lady on her way back from a shopping trip understood my predicament and stopped and gave me dried fruit and a can of Coke. Otherwise I don't know how I'd have made it home. If Bernal had a feeding issue, I'd describe it as a possible hunger knock.
    Yeah I too have had a proper bonk where I was in a very very bad way.

But then these riders are not mere mortals like you and me. Armstrong even had a bonk when he won his second Tour (on the Col du Joux-Plane no less)