Youngsters in the Tour

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786

Been a great addition for the youngsers. Pogacar, Hirschi, Powless and Bernal obviously but would love to see Higuita do something and maybe Sivakov will come good after the rest day.

1 Chevalier Maxime B&B Hotels - Vital Concept p/b KTM 21y + 106d
2 Burgaudeau Mathieu Team Total Direct Energie 21y + 286d
3 Pogačar Tadej UAE-Team Emirates 21y + 343d
4 Hirschi Marc Team Sunweb 22y + 6d
5 Higuita Sergio EF Pro Cycling 23y + 28d
6 Sivakov Pavel INEOS Grenadiers 23y + 49d
7 Tejada Harold Astana Pro Team 23y + 124d
8 Bernal Egan INEOS Grenadiers 23y + 228d
9 Gaudu David Groupama - FDJ 23y + 323d
10 Kämna Lennard BORA - hansgrohe 23y + 354d
11 Powless Neilson EF Pro Cycling 23y + 360d

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    An u23 World Champion, 3 former winners of the Tour de l'Avenir and a wiiner of the Baby Giro in that list.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • A few others that aren't in the overall white jersey, but are still young enough:

Asgreen - working his nuts off all day every day
    M. Pedersen - WC, got a second place in a sprint, not had many opportunities as fellow young'un Cees Bol is their main sprinter
    Cosnefroy - currently rocking the polkadots
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pogacar was the youngest stage winner since 1993
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

A few others that aren't in the overall white jersey, but are still young enough:

Asgreen - working his nuts off all day every day
    M. Pedersen - WC, got a second place in a sprint, not had many opportunities as fellow young'un Cees Bol is their main sprinter
    Cosnefroy - currently rocking the polkadots

Pedersen and Bol are on different teams.

I've never really thought of Pedersen as a sprinter, but he seems to be trying this tour. I know he won a sprint stage somewhere recently?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    mixing your Pedersens
  • inseine said:

mixing your Pedersens

Dammit.

Not so much mixing my Pedersens as forgetting who the less than stellar sprinters on their teams are. It's Theuns Mads P. was supposed to be helping.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    RichN95. said:

Armstrong back when people liked him.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    RichN95. said:

Trying to think who that was .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

I thought he got out sprinted by utt-she-kov (spelling no idea)... Different year
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    RichN95. said:

Was that Valverde?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

Was that Valverde?
    Lol

I am guessing that's a joke he would be 13
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

I thought he got out sprinted by utt-she-kov (spelling no idea)... Different year

That was .... *looks at wikipedia* .... 1995
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

That was .... *looks at wikipedia* .... 1995
    All those indurain tours blur into one . 95 was quite good I guess .
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I quite like the idea from the ITV4 pod that the white jersey should be reclassified and turns into the Oldies Jersey.

Give Valverde & Froome something to aim for...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    edited September 2020

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Stage 8 into Verdun, youngest ever stage winner (i thought it must have been him so did a check). It was pouring down from memory.

Edit - think I got that wrong from a quick look at the photos, was thinking of his Worlds win the same year.
  • ddraver said:

I quite like the idea from the ITV4 pod that the white jersey should be reclassified and turns into the Oldies Jersey.

Give Valverde & Froome something to aim for...

What about a vets handicap? For every year over 35 you get a minute on GC ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I've never been a fan of the young rider competition. I feel like it's almost patronising. If a rider's good enough to be in the Tour his age is irrelevant. I'd rather see it replaced by bringing back the Combination Jersey (also one of the coolest jerseys of all time).

I don't expect much agreement on this, mind...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited September 2020
    Is it me or are there more genuine U25 contenders recently as well

I like the sound of an over 35s jersey... although it might be seen as slightly patronising for ex GT winners.
  • gsk82
    Young riders are doing well. Old riders are doing well. It's just the clean generation in the middle that's suffering.
  • RichN95.

There was an interesting recent episode of the Thomas/Rowe podcast with the agent Andrew McQuaid and he was saying that nowadays there are teenagers training as though they are pros. Also a lot of the young talent come procycling families - Van der Poel, Evenepoel, Sivakov all sons of pros.
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    Ignore mis posted

• mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

Young riders are doing well. Old riders are doing well. It's just the clean generation in the middle that's suffering.

Lol you jaded jaded man
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

There was an interesting recent episode of the Thomas/Rowe podcast with the agent Andrew McQuaid and he was saying that nowadays there are teenagers training as though they are pros. Also a lot of the young talent come procycling families - Van der Poel, Evenepoel, Sivakov all sons of pros.
    CCH is pretty on it
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Stage 8 into Verdun, youngest ever stage winner (i thought it must have been him so did a check). It was pouring down from memory.

Edit - think I got that wrong from a quick look at the photos, was thinking of his Worlds win the same year.
    The rain was the world's .. stage 8 Verdun was romane pensec opening up the sprint too earlier and riss sulking cos he didn't win ...funny what you remember if you get a few hints ...
  • RichN95.

I've never been a fan of the young rider competition. I feel like it's almost patronising. If a rider's good enough to be in the Tour his age is irrelevant. I'd rather see it replaced by bringing back the Combination Jersey (also one of the coolest jerseys of all time).

The Vuelta did that until last year, then swapped it for the young rider jersey. I guess no-one races for the combined jersey. How can you really?
  • I like the young rider jersey, but when we're seeing stages and gc won by young riders, maybe 25 is too old to really qualify?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

I like the sound of an over 35s jersey... although it might be seen as slightly patronising for ex GT winners.

(to be clear they were tongue in cheek...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95. said:

The Vuelta did that until last year, then swapped it for the young rider jersey. I guess no-one races for the combined jersey. How can you really?
    That's a good point.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • I've never been a fan of the young rider competition. I feel like it's almost patronising. If a rider's good enough to be in the Tour his age is irrelevant. I'd rather see it replaced by bringing back the Combination Jersey (also one of the coolest jerseys of all time).

I agree about the Combination Jersey – I suggested it on 4 Sept in the Unpopular Pro Race Opinions thread.
  • I'd scrap the young riders jersey and not bring back the combination jersey.

For young riders it does seem to stretch the definition of young and most aren't actually competing for it anyway so it's usually really a competition between a couple of riders who aren't old, can climb a bit and happen to find themselves in a situation where their team don't require them to sacrifice themselves totally for a GC leader .

Bit of a Victor Meldrew attitude I know but they don't have a young sprinters jersey or young climbers jersey or if we had a combination jersey would we also have a young riders combination jersey?

If we must have something I'd have a veterans comp with a time handicap based on age purely for a bit of fun - perhaps any sponsorship could go to a charity for the aged.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]