TDF 2020: Sept 7th. Rest Day Rumours and Rumblings

The Charente Maritime hosts the first Covid crunch day as the riders all get tested.

Meanwhile, the support staff get the chance to sample some of the local gastronomy.

éclade:

chaudrée:

farci charentais:

galette charentaise:

pineau des Charentes:

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• News reaches me of a huge abandon:

Antoine Vayer (festinaboy), the jumped up PE teacher of pointy-fingered power-data hysterics and snidey insinuation fame, has deleted his Twitter account. Seems to have been caught on the wrong side of a controversy regarding an extremely sexist cartoon of Marion Rousse. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Mmmm éclade des moules looks great... Would make a nice change from the white wine, butter and garlic sauce I've been stuffing myself with in Scotland the past couple of weekends.

News reaches me of a huge abandon:

Antoine Vayer (festinaboy), the jumped up PE teacher of pointy-fingered power-data hysterics and snidey insinuation fame, has deleted his Twitter account. Seems to have been caught on the wrong side of a controversy regarding an extremely sexist cartoon of Marion Rousse. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Oops...
  • Turns out (thanks Rich) that the cartoon accompanied an article of his and he collaborated on it. What a piece of merde.
  • Turns out (thanks Rich) that the cartoon accompanied an article of his and he collaborated on it. What a piece of censored .

I've just found out you can't swear in French :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It was a pretty bad cartoon. Like Charlie Hebdo on a bad day it was just purely offensive...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Just seen the cartoon . It's super purile . Women likes having sex with man shocker stories . People are weird
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

It was a pretty bad cartoon. Like Charlie Hebdo on a bad day it was just purely offensive...

Had to give it a google to see what the fuss was about, it's not an especially clever cartoon is it - it's just being rude for the sake of it.
  • Kruijswijk also questioning Dumoulin's decision to go full domestique on stage 8.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kruijswijk-dumoulins-tour-de-france-sacrifice-was-unnecessary/
  • bobmcstuff
    Also Google doing a really good job with the automatic translation, now reading Nieuwsblad's TdF stories and their general news... Interesting different perspective to UK news sites.
  • ddraver
    Am I the only one that thought Tommy didn't really have the legs to go anything other than 'full domestique'..?
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Thing is he only lost a couple of minutes so I can't help thing that if he hadn't gone full gas for those few moments (which did nothing in the end) he could have limited his loss to much less. When real domestiques have finished their job they finish way back.
  • ddraver
    edited September 2020
    S'a good point...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Antonie Vayer has been sacked by his newspaper. LOL.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    inseine said:

Thing is he only lost a couple of minutes so I can't help thing that if he hadn't gone full gas for those few moments (which did nothing in the end) he could have limited his loss to much less. When real domestiques have finished their job they finish way back.

Yeah in the end he didn't do much to the race with that turn, and I think it would have been better for the team for him to stay high on GC for now. Even if he knows he doesn't truly have the legs, the fact that he is high up on GC could still be useful later on. Dumoulin's a big name and the other teams would have watched him. He could have used that dig to cover a move for example.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

inseine said:

Yeah in the end he didn't do much to the race with that turn, and I think it would have been better for the team for him to stay high on GC for now. Even if he knows he doesn't truly have the legs, the fact that he is high up on GC could still be useful later on. Dumoulin's a big name and the other teams would have watched him. He could have used that dig to cover a move for example.
    Like Pogacar's for example.

This is obviously all about him protecting his own ego. It's like putting a ride on Strava and using the title to list all the reasons your average is only 19mph.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    Heh I've never done that

<.<

>.>

<.<
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    gsk82 said:

inseine said:

This is obviously all about him protecting his own ego. It's like putting a ride on Strava and using the title to list all the reasons your average is only 19mph.
    If you listen to the interviews, it's really not about ego.

He honestly doesn't think he has race winning legs, so why bother faking it, when he can be useful elsewhere?

He seems really happy at jumbo and I think he likes being the team player.
  • bobmcstuff
    Where do we go for rest day COVID watch then?
  • Where do we go for rest day COVID watch then?

Results aren't going to be announced until tomorrow morning.
  • bobmcstuff
    Ah rubbish.

They should have announced through the day as they come in to give us something to speculate about on the rest day. At least one team, maybe it was Matt White who I heard (?) had been tested Sunday morning.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    I think I read that the staff etc were tested Sunday, and the riders Monday?
  • Ah rubbish.

They should have announced through the day as they come in to give us something to speculate about on the rest day. At least one team, maybe it was Matt White who I heard (?) had been tested Sunday morning.

Ineos too.

This is pathetic.
    No doping scandal or covid KO so far on the rest day.
    What is the world coming to?
  • gsk82 said:

inseine said:

He honestly doesn't think he has race winning legs, so why bother faking it, when he can be useful elsewhere?

I think most of us can think of several reasons to carry on "faking it", but it's too late now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    edited September 2020

gsk82 said:

inseine said:

I think most of us can think of several reasons to carry on "faking it", but it's too late now.
    Sure but let's face it, we also see lots of reasons to not signpost your tactics or if you've had a good or bad day, but he's happy to tell us all of that too.

It's quite funny. He'll chat to reporters about a conversation he had with Roglic mid race. He'll give all the deets. The journos ask Roglic about the same topic "yeah I don't remember".
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

gsk82 said:

inseine said:

Sure but let's face it, we also see lots of reasons to not signpost your tactics or if you've had a good or bad day, but he's happy to tell us all of that too.

It's quite funny. He'll chat to reporters about a conversation he had with Roglic mid race. He'll give all the deets. The journos ask Roglic about the same topic "yeah I don't remember".
    It sounds like Roglic is his hero, but Roglic doesn't even know his name. Poor guy.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Sorry to report that festinaboy is still there on Twitter. Shame. Awful behaviour.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ITV highlights saying that there have been Covid positives in the Tour organisation and in teams. They may of course be false positives. They also repeated that Astana and Ineos are completely clear.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    ITV highlights reported Ineos & Astana are all clear of Covid, but there have been positives on other teams, but no details of whether staff or riders, or which teams. Presumably awaiting the second test to see if they are false positives.......

Sorry to report that festinaboy is still there on Twitter. Shame. Awful behaviour.
    Damn. He was gone this morning.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not good news at all. Hopefully its a false positive and also isnt two members of the same team