New hardtail for short rider - suggestions!

Hi all. New to the forums so bear with me. I am looking for a new MTB to replace my ancient specialized hardrock. Up until now I have mostly ridden fire track/landrover track type stuff and blue trails at centres. I am tentatively looking at doing more technical single track stuff - but probably nothing too hardcore for now. I can do cycle to work and thinking up to £1500.

My big issue is my height - I'm 4'10" (and I think evenly proportioned). I presume I'm looking at 27.5" wheel. I'm talking to LBSs but would welcome any suggestions of make/model.

PS I realise there are no bikes out there at the moment but I want to get something ordered ASAP.

Comments

• andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Consider second hand?

Downhill or enduro?

Full sus or hard tail?

A friend is selling a decent downhill full sus bike for -£900, can get you info if you like?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I've just bought a hardtail for my wife and we struggled with sizing. She's 5'4" but she's got shorter legs and that made it difficult.
    We went for a Trek marlin 7 in the end as the smaller sizes have a lower, curved top tube, but not sure if that's only on their Womens specific bike.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2020
    Generally looking at Hardtail's top tube angle will help to narrow down choices initially. Trek as mentioned above is a good example. Look at sizing in S/XS frames and check out suitable standover heights for you on their Specs.

Recommend taking a look at a Nukeproof Scout, they're also a good example of a low standover height frame, would be a great bike for your riding for now, will still be very capable for more technical stuff in the future and also within budget.