To say hello....or not?

A road riding point of ettiqute. I've been road riding for 10 years, mainly in the central Bedfordshire region. When I started out, I would estimate 9/10 riders would say hello or good morning, or at least wave. It was polite and friendly and engendered a feeling of togetherness which surprised me but was welcome. Out on my ride yesterday, after I was completely ignored even after calling out "Morning" enthusiastically to the first three riders - including one who was passing me! - I gave up. Which is a shame. I live in an area of the county that has had a massive influx of new folk many of whom have moved out from London and surrounds, which means there are more bikes on the road (good) but ridden by folk a whole lot less friendly than used to be case (bad). I commute 18 miles a day by bike as well as doing Sat or Sunday morning rides, (commuting is a whole lot tougher btw) and have never understood the aloof or snotty attitude of some of the folk out on a Sunday morning. What's the general opinion here? Should I "just get over myself" about something that doesn't really matter, or is friendliness and etiquette among cyclists on the road still important?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Do you say hello to everybody when you're walking or wave to everyone in a car if you're driving? Just don't worry about it. I generally do raise a couple of fingers or nod to other cyclists in acknowledgement, but if it's not returned I don't think any more of it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

I live in an area of the county that has had a massive influx of new folk many of whom have moved out from London and surrounds,...

Carry on your normal behaviour.
    They'd adapt, or sod 'em.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,523
    it's déjà vu all over again
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Try the middle finger, see if that gets a response!
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Really? This question comes up again and again on these forums. Surely it’s not worth losing sleep over? Do what you want and let other people do what they want. Simple.

PP
  • I’m not sure its etiquette exactly, Robin. The initial wave, hello or good morning is more to do with rarity of the beast, cyclist in this case. [Ahoy a fellow cyclist, amazing!] but cycling is not alone.
    In the case of motorcycling, I have noted that when I ride in the UK and across Europe there is a hand gesture or nod from fellow motorcyclists. However when I visit the IOM TT on my motorcycle this all stops. There are simply too many to acknowledge. When I visit the TT on my bicycle however other cyclists do acknowledge with a wave or nod etc.

Perhaps cyclists have become too common an occurrence to acknowledge? The same sort of thing happens when walking the fells, it’s the volume or perceived volume of similar ‘traffic’

Just carry on saying hello, it certainly doesn’t do any harm and cheerfulness is contagious you know
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

Perhaps cyclists have become too common an occurrence to acknowledge? The same sort of thing happens when walking the fells, it’s the volume or perceived volume of similar ‘traffic’

This is undoubtably the case.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod said:

it's déjà vu all over again

I've only just twigged
    what you are talking about :/

I'm slow on hills too
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Keep waving, but don’t worry if someone doesn’t respond. They may be going over some rough ground, getting something out of their pocket. Or might just be deep in thought.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I had a cyclist give me the "w*nker" sign the other day.

Haven't got a clue what I had done to raise his ire.

All I'd said was "Ayup".

Some strange people out there :lol:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Cargobike said:

I had a cyclist give me the "w*nker" sign the other day.

All I'd said was "Ayup".

Perhaps you did nothing and it's just that he knows you?
  • Cargobike said:

All I'd said was "Ayup".

Quite possible, with hindsight :lol:
    Perhaps being a loud-mouthed, opinionated, dickhead isn't everything it's cracked up to be.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Cargobike said:

Cargobike said:

All I'd said was "Ayup".

Quite possible, with hindsight :lol:
    Perhaps being a loud-mouthed, opinionated, dickhead isn't everything it's cracked up to be.
    I dunno. I quite like it.
  • If I were somewhere busy with loads of cyclists around, I would wave to none of them.
    If I were somewhere quiet with a cyclist every 20 mins, I would nod/wave to all of them.
    I'm still not sure exactly where the balance is.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    In London, not a chance, if I see the same rider regularly on my commute I might nod/good morning eventually.

Local park = No good mornings

Local common = Good mornings to everyone.

Humans are weird!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I always ,nod, speak , lift my hand , the majority acknowledge
    if they don’t well it’s not the end of the world