TDF 2020 - Stage 9: Pau - Laruns 153 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    That was a hell of a sprint by someone who had been solo for half the stage. If he'd left it another second or two I think he could have taken it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Pross said:

They should of gifted that imo

Bonus seconds, innit.
    Wish they'd do away with them. I'm not sure they benefit the race.
    You just watched a stage where they made it more exciting...?
  • Buchmann rolls in over 4 minutes down.
    That aside, Yates and Lopez lost time, but not much change elsewhere.
    Seems bonus seconds were the main focus of the day.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross said:

Bonus seconds, innit.
    I don't think we'd have seen the captains battling one on one over the top today without the bonuses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    phreak said:

Pross said:

phreak said:

This'll be censored if the Tour is decided by who can sprint best on the final 50 metres of a mountain.

The top riders are on their own with 20k to go, you can't ask for more than that really. There's a TT as well.
    Not a fan of time bonuses, least of all at the top of relatively small mountains, and the fact that the Tour could be decided by them seems all kinds of wrong.
    I agree but it's still turning into an excellent race.
  • Top 7 riders within 44"
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Best all round rider... Good they have to sprint
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Not what people expected ...jumbo fought early to limit the break ...from the gun . So I guess it was a plan to get into the bonus secs

Jumbo-V were mainly fighting when Ineos tried to get someone in the break. Everyone wanted in, especially Sunweb. QS wouldn't let Sagan get in and tried to get Alaphilippe away, nobody wanted him either.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Bonus seconds, innit.
    I don't think we'd have seen the captains battling one on one over the top today without the bonuses.
    Maybe, what's helping is Pogacar isn't afraid to attack fairly early on the final climb and the remaining teams melt away. It would be worse if Roglic was just coming off his team mates wheels in the final 50m to get the seconds.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Rarely have I been so disappointed to see someone miss out on a win. Magnificent effort from Hirschi.

I know Roglic is in yellow but I'm still not convinced by Jumbo's tactics.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    With all the talk if teams it still comes down to who are the best riders
  • Rarely have I been so disappointed to see someone miss out on a win. Magnificent effort from Hirschi.

I know Roglic is in yellow but I'm still not convinced by Jumbo's tactics.

Normally we would be saying: "Well done, now enjoy all those extra interviews on your rest day,"
    But I guess it won't be too bad with restrictions.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Bonus seconds, innit.
    You just watched a stage where they made it more exciting...?
    Pogacar made it exciting. If it had just been the bonus seconds we'd have seen J-V reach the top of the final climb with 2 or 3 riders leading out Roglic for the seconds and probably the same at the finish.
  • mididoctors
    The GC could get really wrecked by covid testing
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

Buchmann rolls in over 4 minutes down.

Are you still blaming Bora for Buchmann's lack of form?
  • mididoctors

Not what people expected ...jumbo fought early to limit the break ...from the gun . So I guess it was a plan to get into the bonus secs

Jumbo-V were mainly fighting when Ineos tried to get someone in the break. Everyone wanted in, especially Sunweb. QS wouldn't let Sagan get in and tried to get Alaphilippe away, nobody wanted him either.
    It was a two-for
  • mididoctors
    Well I thought it was good racing ..
    Not convinced by jumbo tactics either but roglic is in yellow so doing something right
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The youngest Tour stage winner for 27 years
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

Not convinced by jumbo tactics either but roglic is in yellow so doing something right

He’s got to fight for it I think. Not as far ahead as I was expecting.
  • Anyone else think Bernal is going to blow the race apart in week 3?
    He was looking decent today, though he's not going to match Roglic in the sprints. He needs a nice long climb in the Alps, I think.
  • Well I thought it was good racing ..

It was a superb stage. Full-on from the gun. Tactically tricky for JV as Ineos finally managed to get a man out front. There wasn't enough race left to be sure the bonus seconds would be gone if Bernal got a chance to use him, so they had to bring him back before he would be useful. That opened the bonus second question for al the GC, so they then had to get the train going.

2 days in a row we've seen the captains all isolated with no domestiques. I love it.
  • Doesn't feel like Bernal has much acceleration on the climbs to try and break the contact, although he does look the more comfortable climber.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190

It was a superb stage. Full-on from the gun. Tactically tricky for JV as Ineos finally managed to get a man out front. There wasn't enough race left to be sure the bonus seconds would be gone if Bernal got a chance to use him, so they had to bring him back before he would be useful. That opened the bonus second question for al the GC, so they then had to get the train going.

2 days in a row we've seen the captains all isolated with no domestiques. I love it.
    Ned Boulting was singing about his sprinting capabilities , i was thinking its a tie between him and Landa for last in that group he was in.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Matti66 said:

Ned Boulting was singing about his sprinting capabilities , i was thinking its a tie between him and Landa for last in that group he was in.
    Landa would struggle to win a one-up sprint, so I think Bernal would have the edge
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Are Bernal/Ineos are hoping/ have planned that he hits form later in the race; and he's in a better position than they maybe expected?

I also wonder whether JV/ Roglic are going for bonus secs as they think it may get close towards the end, with the ITT.

I think it's going to be one of the most open races, provided we get there. In this strangest of seasons I wouldn't yet discount anybody between Roglic and Pogacar for a podium.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac said:

Are Bernal/Ineos are hoping/ have planned that he hits form later in the race; and he's in a better position than they maybe expected?

In most previous tours Ineos have planned for the leader to peak later into Tour and all the indications are that they are doing that this Tour.

If it is going to work it will be via a wearing down of Roglic and exposing him in the final week.

That's one of the reasons this Tour is still so open as Roglic is not as far ahead as his form showed in the Dauphine
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Wow. Great stage. There are some comments early on in this thread that haven't aged well. No criticism though. I don't think anyone could have predicted how it eventually turned out.

Ironically, the fact that everyone was so convinced that a break would take the stage, ensured that it didn't. That and Ineos's determination to get someone in the break and J-V's determination to mark them.

I'm torn between being gutted for my man Hirschi and delighted for my man Pogacar. In an ideal world, Hirschi would have won, Pogacar come second and Landa third.

I watch the Tour in my local bar. Most of the other customers have little to no interest in cycling but, when Hirschi launched that sprint, there was a roar of support. It truly was an inspirational ride.

Finally, I've a sneaky feeling that this Tour is between Pogacar and Bernal.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • I think roglic will keep pinching seconds and that will be that.

Can't wait to be disappointed
  • Buchmann rolls in over 4 minutes down.

Are you still blaming Bora for Buchmann's lack of form?
    I think it's safe to say that he isn't fully recovered from his Dauphine crash.
    Not sure how Yates and Lopez could fit into your conclusion.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

I think roglic will keep pinching seconds and that will be that.

Can't wait to be disappointed

I think Bernal is going to come good in the third week. In the meantime, I think Pogacar is going to give Roglic a ton of grief.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet