TDF 2020 - Stage 9: Pau - Laruns 153 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Really hope Hirschi takes this. Great ride so far.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Reichenbach not great at descending either. Gets stick for it .

It's a tricky one to improve too as it's probably a self-preservation instinct rather than a failure to work on technique. The same with sprinters who have a bad crash and lose the nerve to take the risks needed to win even though they still have the speed.
    I have off days .. the skill I tell youngsters is learn mini drills to relax if you tighten up and get in the drops ( unless you have some stupid slammed stem ) . Consider myself a average descender which is elite status compared with what I see out there in rapha land .
    Boardman just echoing my own experience, as soon as you start thinking about the consequences you lose the ability to descend fast.
    C'est le lol
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503

I see Reichenbach still descends like a discombobulated lobster.

Is that worse than descending like a goat? :D
    Goats are better in the mountains than lobsters.
  • mididoctors
    Boardman followed the wrong wheel and shot offthe side of the soulor. I guess if you follow you need knowledge of who.you follow
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    Boardman is seriously under rated on his influence of the whole sport IMO . Descending not so much but many of us fit the nervous category so advice from that perspective counts
  • Pross
    Hirschi looking like he's on a time trial bike on the flat, his position is superb.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Pross said:

Hirschi looking like he's on a time trial bike on the flat, his position is superb.

Has he got narrow shoulders?
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    Is he holding them.off on the flat
  • 3.08 gap for hirschi Vs breakaway 52 k to go
  • mididoctors
    EF will push for team gc and persist I guess
  • mididoctors

3.08 gap for hirschi Vs breakaway 52 k to go

Not eating him up
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It's weird to be Swiss and a bad descender eh..?

Hirschi needs to win for cycling fans globally
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    edited September 2020

Opened it up I think. Looks the real deal to me.
  • Pross
    Best part of 20mph on a 7% climb having been solo for what, 50km plus?
  • Gap to peloton steady at 4.25
  • Pross
    Amador really looking like a wasted place at the moment unless he's playing the old Poels role and saving himself as 3rd week support.
  • Amador out the back
  • Pross
    Very British scenery at the moment, they could be in the Peak District on the ToB.
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    Pross said:

Opened it up I think. Looks for the real deal to me.
    Nice sticky Bottle . Looks strong still
  • mididoctors
    He ain't coming back thou have to go get him
  • Pross
    edited September 2020
    Are there bonus seconds at the top of the Marie Blanc? If so it looks like Roglic might be in yellow at the end of the day.
  • Pross
    The Jumbo train manage to pull back 15 seconds on Hirschi on that 3rd cat climb and they didn't look like they were taking it easy.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Are the bonus seconds at the top of the Marie Blanc? If so it looks like Roglic might be in yellow at the end of the day.

There are . Pogacar may nick it too thou
  • Time now shipping. Sub 4
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited September 2020
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

I just don't get that Volvo Advert...

Yet another advert using a female singer performing a slowed down acoustic version of a classic song. There really seems to be a lack of originality in the advertising industry.
    Have to say I'd not seen the price comparison website Ad with the calm bull.

The way his tail flies up in the air when he drops off the building did rather tickle me...

COME ON HIRSCHI!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I'm pretty sure Hirschi will be caught but for a rider Ive never heard of this is an incredible ride.
  • Peloton hit the bottom of the climb at 3 mins. Hirschi will be caught :-(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo
  • Pross said:

Are there bonus seconds at the top of the Marie Blanc? If so it looks like Roglic might be in yellow at the end of the day.

I've been wondering whether this is what it's all been about.
    Second place would give him the jersey by 1 second, but what an objective, if it is.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Sub 3