Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I'm in the market for electric when I next change my car (although would still like to see the range increase as I semi-regularly drive up to 400 miles in a day). I don't particularly like the interior styling of a Tesla but feel the fact they aren't a traditional car manufacturer is their benefit as they've worked on how to create an electric car rather than how to adapt a traditional ICE car to run on electric. Unfortunately for them some of the bigger traditional manufacturers are now realising that is the direction to go so it may eat into that advantage but a lot of the big players are still very much in catch up mode e.g. finally starting to get into PHEV technology when they need to be going full electric to attract the company car market.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

Whilst I expect batteries to win the small car market, it is worth noting that Toyota has a hydrogen car, and hydrogen is coming soon.

10 years ago, Hydrogen 'cells' were estimated to cost in the £20k mark - that's before you add the chassis to put it in. So they are obviously improving the economy of the technology. Whether they could compete given the bias in electric car R&D on the long term remains to be seen.
    Do the electricity producers have vested interest in the electric wave*?

*Trend, not an AC current.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    pinno said:

Whilst I expect batteries to win the small car market, it is worth noting that Toyota has a hydrogen car, and hydrogen is coming soon.

10 years ago, Hydrogen 'cells' were estimated to cost in the £20k mark - that's before you add the chassis to put it in. So they are obviously improving the economy of the technology. Whether they could compete given the bias in electric car R&D on the long term remains to be seen.
    Do the electricity producers have vested interest in the electric wave*?

*Trend, not an AC current.

There's quite a lot in common between a fuel cell and a battery. And a car would use the same motors etc. And both need copious amounts of electricity to start with.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Not so much learnt, as reminded.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    In cases of bad scurvy, your old wounds open up and anything that is formed of scar-tissue re opens or falls apart.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

You have clearly not had to hold a relationship with someone with narcissistic personality disorder, who use slights and offence as a weapon.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    What has any of this got to do with hydrogen fuel cells?
  • rick_chasey
    Things i learned recently.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249

In cases of bad scurvy, your old wounds open up and anything that is formed of scar-tissue re opens or falls apart.

I'd better eat a tomato with lunch then
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    That must have been a nightmare in the days of bygone shipping when scurvy was a problem.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

You have clearly not had to hold a relationship with someone with narcissistic personality disorder, who use slights and offence as a weapon.
    To quote the mystic master...
    🎼Let it go, let it go...🎼 😉🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

If only. Alas they are a relative of my wife.
  • Pross

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Beat them up and assert your authority.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

A lesson for all prospective husbands and wives.
    You are not only marrying your partner but all their relatives and friends.
    Nobody gave me that little nugget beforehand either.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    Just put it down to their own insecurity. I know it's easier said than done.
  • rick_chasey

Just put it down to their own insecurity. I know it's easier said than done.

No it’s down to their personality disorder.

Rule #1 of having to deal with narcissists. Set your own boundaries
    Rule #2 accept you will never change them so stick to rule #1
  • focuszing723
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0l44GOYLk

Motor racing is still dangerous.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0l44GOYLk

Motor racing is still dangerous.

Did you see the massive crash in Moto2 on the same day where that guy hit a crashed bike at full tilt and got thrown over the bars and into orbit? Proper scary!
  • focuszing723
    No, I missed that, I stumbled on it. I haven't followed Moto GP for a while. I tend to just stick to the TT now (when there isn't a pandemic on:)

Damn, if it was me I would strongly think about resting on my well deserved millions.
  • rick_chasey
    Various things in this chart

• focuszing723

Various things in this chart

That is good way visually show it.
  • focuszing723
    Anise seed comes from a bush that is grown specifically for the seed; no other part of the plant is eaten. So, the difference between anise and fennel is actually pretty major. ... Fennel, with its milder licorice flavor, also has a slightly woody flavor and, thus, works well in marinara sauce and other savory dishes.

So there you go. Gawd the interwebs is lush.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    edited September 2020

Stevo 666 wrote:

orraloon wrote:

robert88 wrote:

That excess profits duty could be reduced by investing the profits in the business.

My dear chap, the taxable profit number is what you want it to be. Don't even need taxdodger666 to tell you that. Cash however is a real number.

Maybe it's not so recent, but how little most people know about tax :wink:

At least Robert88 is trying to educate himself about what tax was like in the last century.

I would agree with this - the amount of people I have spoken to who seem to be relatively well educated otherwise who are adamant that if they get a small pay rise that puts them into the next tax bracket their net pay will actually be lower is quite amazing!

You mean the number of people!

Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pottssteve
    I learned how to adjust my front derailleur to stop chain rub. Thanks, Park Tool video! :)
  • Pross
    That there are people who will respond quoting a post around a year after it was made ;)
  • pottssteve
    Pross said:

That there are people who will respond quoting a post around a year after it was made ;)

I'm a really slow reader... :)

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    That (an) Arab Strap, the Scottish band with the shall I say down to basics lyrics, is also a sexual device, indeed a C ring. Who knew? Not me obvs.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    orraloon said:

That (an) Arab Strap, the Scottish band with the shall I say down to basics lyrics, is also a sexual device, indeed a C ring. Who knew? Not me obvs.

I'd always just assumed they were Dundee United fans.

Still, in the music world nothing would surprise me: I'm a bit of a closet ZZ top fan and I long ago just started assuming that more or less every lyric was a double entendre.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Hey, don't be closet. Last week I had a YouTube binge of 80s ZZTop videos - Sharp Dressed Man, Legs et al. 'kin A. Took me back to those times... 👍
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Floella Benjamin is 71 today.

You're welcome.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition