TDF 2020 - Stage 9: Pau - Laruns 153 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245

WvA was in the break and talk of a clear stage win but now dropped back to join the mountain train

Cheers
  • Aru abandons. No surprise
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Aru climbs off
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Reichenbach not great at descending either. Gets stick for it .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Aru has climbed off
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

It's a tricky one to improve too as it's probably a self-preservation instinct rather than a failure to work on technique. The same with sprinters who have a bad crash and lose the nerve to take the risks needed to win even though they still have the speed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    The road surface on those climbs is quite good in the wet, relatively speaking.
  • Reichenbach not great at descending either. Gets stick for it .

Are you suggesting his final problem is that (yes, I'm going there) Reichenbach falls?
  • Get out
  • Pross
    Pinot group holding the yellow jersey group at 1 minute while the chase group has reopened the gap to the peloton.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

It's a tricky one to improve too as it's probably a self-preservation instinct rather than a failure to work on technique. The same with sprinters who have a bad crash and lose the nerve to take the risks needed to win even though they still have the speed.
    I have off days .. the skill I tell youngsters is learn mini drills to relax if you tighten up and get in the drops ( unless you have some stupid slammed stem ) . Consider myself a average descender which is elite status compared with what I see out there in rapha land .
  • Pross
    Yellow jersey group much bigger too so definitely taking it fairly easy.
  • I hope Wout van Aert rips the legs off his climbing team mates again as it makes the race much more open and exciting.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross said:

I have off days .. the skill I tell youngsters is learn mini drills to relax if you tighten up and get in the drops ( unless you have some stupid slammed stem ) . Consider myself a average descender which is elite status compared with what I see out there in rapha land .
    Rapha land?
  • Gaudu goes off road into a spectator
  • The good news for Gaudu is that he's getting lots of TV coverage. The bad news...
  • Groupama FDJ's Gaudu with a passable impression of "Death Race".
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Rode off the tarmac
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors

Pross said:

Rapha land?
    It boarders with the cycle republica .
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

Gaudu goes off road into a spectator

French commentators mocking him "he's gone mushroom hunting"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Probably just me but the flags seems very close to hirschi!!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

Never stops being annoying that stage profile graphics indicate KM travelled rather than KM to go.

One of things that you can't ignore once you've seen it.

Similarly, in football, the way the extra referee stands on the same side as the linesman. Makes no sense, and I can't unsee it now.
  • Lovely weather.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • That descent looks horrible
  • Pross
    Are we sure Yates is joining Ineos and not Jumbo next season? He seems to already be using Jumbo as his domestiques.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I just don't get that Volvo Advert...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I see Reichenbach still descends like a discombobulated lobster.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited September 2020

I see Reichenbach still descends like a discombobulated lobster.

Is that worse than descending like a goat? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

I just don't get that Volvo Advert...

Yet another advert using a female singer performing a slowed down acoustic version of a classic song. There really seems to be a lack of originality in the advertising industry.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Boardman just echoing my own experience, as soon as you start thinking about the consequences you lose the ability to descend fast.