TDF 2020 - Stage 8: Cazères-sur-Garonne - Loudenvielle 141 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    good stage apart from the idiots in the crowd. be interesting if anything official is said. Riders dont need all that added risk
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Harry182 said:

Why was Zakarin relegated to 4th?

He was relegated on account of him descending like a sack of potatoes.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645

Harry182 said:

I think a sack of potatoes would descend better
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Harry182 said:

I think a sack of potatoes would descend better
    It was a wide open road on the way down, so you'd have thought just mashing the pedals would be enough.
  • mididoctors
    Well it's cheap talk from the armchair I guess. 🤭
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Is it just me, or did Jumbo make a cat's arse of that? Burning most of their riders on the penultimate climb, and leaving Roglic on his own for the last one. And with another mountain day tomorrow. They got no real gain from that today.

On the other hand, anyone else fancying Quintana to surprise them all? Would love to see it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Part of me is starting to wonder if Ineos are so far off the boil that we've over-estimated what Jumbo actually had. Plenty of time for the tour to throw up surprises though.
  • mididoctors
    They are all so pretty close pogacar is going to be difficult to control .
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Well it's cheap talk from the armchair I guess. 🤭

He lost that stage on the descents, it's pretty fair criticism.

That first descent, I reckon I could have done better. Or at least, I wouldnt have been on the tops veering all over the place. Although since he would have beaten me to the summit by hours it would have been totally irrelevant.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546

Is it just me, or did Jumbo make a cat's censored of that? Burning most of their riders on the penultimate climb, and leaving Roglic on his own for the last one. And with another mountain day tomorrow. They got no real gain from that today.

On the other hand, anyone else fancying Quintana to surprise them all? Would love to see it.

Maybe because of tomorrow they left Rog to do 2nd half of last climb today, saving their fire for tomorrow. Marie Blanque is a steep narrow wee thing on both sides with a long run to the finish. I expect it to blow up there tomorrow.

From Yates interview it sounds like Tommy D forced the pace rather high at bottom of Pey... almost worked distancing Yates.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,226

I bet Jumbo wish they could turn the clock back to the Dauphine.
    That was a bit of a disaster by their new standards.

Yeah not great
  • Yeah, there are a couple of flys in the JV ointment. Nothing a swift bollocking won’t sort out though.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,129
    edited September 2020
    Harry182 said:

Because he can't descend

Edit: Beaten to the obvious joke !
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Yeah, there are a couple of flys in the JV ointment. Nothing a swift bollocking won’t sort out though.

Who's going to be giving out the bollocking? It was the DS's tactics, not a lack of effort that was the problem IMO
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Yeah, there are a couple of flys in the JV ointment. Nothing a swift bollocking won’t sort out though.

Who's going to be giving out the bollocking? It was the DS's tactics, not a lack of effort that was the problem IMO
    I agree. The D.S. is ‘staff’ at the end of the day though.

The Boeing chief exec will be on the phone to shout at him.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited September 2020

Yeah, there are a couple of flys in the JV ointment. Nothing a swift bollocking won’t sort out though.

The Boeing chief exec will be on the phone to shout at him.
    Many a true word spoken with electrodes on the scrotum.

• Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Roglic still no1 favourite I’d imagine , so far anyway . Its better for the race that TD lost some time atm its More like a Vuelta than a July Tour.
  • I bet Jumbo wish they could turn the clock back to the Dauphine.

Yeah not great

I thought at this point of the race Jumbo would have 3 or even 4 riders threatening the GC, but after today they have just one.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213

Yeah not great

I thought at this point of the race Jumbo would have 3 or even 4 riders threatening the GC, but after today they have just one.
    It's great. No-one with two cards to play, no team really dominant and a big group of riders in contention.
  • Really enjoyed that. Fair play to Yates for that ride.

Also, Quintana... he looked good.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Every time the Tour comes around I seem to acquire an interest in Monster Carp
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2020
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    RichN95. said:

Every time the Tour comes around I seem to acquire an interest in Monster Carp

I like a bit of fishing but don't get much time for it but I'm enjoying Monster Carp today too, can only dream of catching anything that size. The Dean Macey one last week was enjoyable too.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

Meanwhile, new climbing record by some margin for Pogacar.

http://www.climbing-records.com/search?q=PEYRESOURDE

WTF is that site? It's almost indecipherable. Looks like something Antoine Vayer would be involved in.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm said:

Meanwhile, new climbing record by some margin for Pogacar.

http://www.climbing-records.com/search?q=PEYRESOURDE

WTF is that site? It's almost indecipherable. Looks like something Antoine Vayer would be involved in.
    It's been going for years. Full of all the major climbing records but nothing like Vayer, as they don't come with any ? marks.
  • rick_chasey

Yeah not great

They’re missing Kruiswijk
  • rick_chasey
    Ah beaten to it
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Despite the inevitable collapse of my man Pinot, that was an excellent stage very much to my surprise. At 50 km to go I was convinced it was going to be a damp squib.

Fortunately, Jumbo, it seems, are guilty of believing the hype. We also saw that Roglic is strong, but not as dominant as most of us thought.

Ineos seem to be marginally stronger than we were led to believe but aren't looking like they can dominate the race. Bernal doesn't seem able to counter short, sharp attacks but is hanging in there, much as he did last year.

Roglic and Bernal are still the favourites in my eyes but have both shown enough signs of weakness (or at least their teams have) that it wouldn't be a huge surprise if neither of them won.

Im loving it.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet