TDF 2020 - Stage 7 Millau - Lavaur 168 km *Spoilers*

1789101113»

Comments

• m.r.m. said:

That Tour stage 18 I think where he took the roundabout super fast and beat the sprinters to the punch? Must have been 2018?!

That was 2017...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hPMnJtAE0g
  • Possibly a controversial opinion, but for my money riders that have one great win that makes you really pleased you saw it happen are worth any amount of riders that win five times as many races in a vaguely dull way. That EBH roundabout heist is still great to watch on the replay, so imagine watching it live...

The same goes for arguments about the "greatest" riders. People keep dragging out their palmares as if it's the answer to everything. Forget that. How did they make you feel.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Possibly a controversial opinion, but for my money riders that have one great win that makes you really pleased you saw it happen are worth any amount of riders that win five times as many races in a vaguely dull way. That EBH roundabout heist is still great to watch on the replay, so imagine watching it live...

The same goes for arguments about the "greatest" riders. People keep dragging out their palmares as if it's the answer to everything. Forget that. How did they make you feel.

Hayman's Roubaix.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Possibly a controversial opinion, but for my money riders that have one great win that makes you really pleased you saw it happen are worth any amount of riders that win five times as many races in a vaguely dull way. That EBH roundabout heist is still great to watch on the replay, so imagine watching it live...

Hayman's Roubaix.
    Stannard's second Het Volk win against QS. He's only ever won five races. Two at Het Volk.
    Hayman only won four.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I forget the details but Cav in 2012, was it Stage 18?, When he caught the break in the last few hundred metres.

Mostly because of the slow motion of ?Luis Leon Sanchez's W...T...F... face as he went past.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

I forget the details but Cav in 2012, was it Stage 18?, When he caught the break in the last few hundred metres.

Mostly because of the slow motion of ?Luis Leon Sanchez's W...T...F... face as he went past.

And then the realisation that he could still sprint for second, IIRC.

Stannard vs QS is the definitive version of what I'm talking about though. I wasn't even going to be watching that race but one of the kids was poorly. In my mind Stannard's won loads. He hasn't, I've just thought of it far more often.
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020
    ddraver said:

Sanchez and Roche sat up at the end. If they'd realised how far ahead he was they could have got second and third. You can see on the replay Sanchez looking across and seeing no-one else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQedKbxiuBA&ab&ab

I think maybe his greatest sprint win was in Bordeaux in 2010. Renshaw had been sent home for headbutting Julian Dean. Cav was on his own. Rivals sensed weakness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNawpXALAWU&ab

Wow, he was good in his prime. Looking back at these and maybe Kittel has been similar.
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020
    The greatest emotional rare win was Joel Pelier in 1989. A 150km solo breakaway. Watch from 7.16. Listen to what the early commentary says.

https://youtu.be/u6tddPuXK-c?t=438
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited September 2020
    webboo said:

Get in. On the ‘heavy’ bike too. Woo bloody hoo.

4 year old heavy frame. Having to ride rim brakes and non sponsored wheels to give it a competitive edge. I pity any one who’s bought one thinking they are this years cutting edge.
    Think you’ll find ineos are also on rim brakes for the mountain stages too.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    webboo said:

4 year old heavy frame. Having to ride rim brakes and non sponsored wheels to give it a competitive edge. I pity any one who’s bought one thinking they are this years cutting edge.
    They're still a great bike. Despite what Cycling Plus told you, a top end bike doesn't need to be a TT frame, with mountain bike brakes and shopper tyres.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    webboo said:

Non sponsored wheels = Dura Ace. Not sure that'll hold them back
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    inseine said:

webboo said:

Non sponsored wheels = Dura Ace. Not sure that'll hold them back
    They are supposed to use Dura Ace but are using Corima wheels.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

DeadCalm said:

Oh, and for those doubting the sense of Bora's tactics from the point of view of Buchmann, he moved up 5 places on GC. He's overtaken Pogacar, Chaves, Mollema, Landa and Porte. I'm reasonably sure he will be quite content with that.

That would be me.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    If what happened to Carapaz had happened to him, I am sure a few others on here would then be doubting Bora's tactics in terms of the GC.
    And what happened to Carapaz was the reason I questioned Bora's tactics in the first place.
    Presumably, Bora are prioritising a jersey they ought to win over a long shot at a podium spot.

Incidentally, Bruyneel thinks Castroviejo was dropped from the front group rather than sent back for Carapaz.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

Oh, and for those doubting the sense of Bora's tactics from the point of view of Buchmann, he moved up 5 places on GC. He's overtaken Pogacar, Chaves, Mollema, Landa and Porte. I'm reasonably sure he will be quite content with that.

That would be me.
    If what happened to Carapaz had happened to him, I am sure a few others on here would then be doubting Bora's tactics in terms of the GC.
    And what happened to Carapaz was the reason I questioned Bora's tactics in the first place.
    Presumably, Bora are prioritising a jersey they ought to win over a long shot at a podium spot.

Incidentally, Bruyneel thinks Castroviejo was dropped from the front group rather than sent back for Carapaz.
    Didn't look that way the effort he was putting in. May have just lost a wheel though and at that speed closing a gap was near impossible no matter how well you were riding.
  • Watched the sprint again.
    Still no idea where Sagan was going.

I don't know if its recoverable, but he no longer has the legs to cover for mistakes
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

Watched the sprint again.
    Still no idea where Sagan was going.

I don't know if its recoverable, but he no longer has the legs to cover for mistakes

He lost his chain.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • In this instance he's already half way round the world for a short cut when his chain drops. He's gone round EBHs lead out man, who's drifting left and slowing, on his left.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

DeadCalm said:

That would be me.

Didn't look that way the effort he was putting in. May have just lost a wheel though and at that speed closing a gap was near impossible no matter how well you were riding.
    Don't think that was the case. He would not have had to do that much sitting in the group. Looked very strong and while he did a lot of work and grimaced a lot I think he was the Carapaz chaperone with Kwiatkowski in charge of Bernal.

Looked very deliberate to me.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Great shot of Sagan at the end of the stage...

And this one is just weird...

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    edited September 2020
    Wrong thread sorry!