TDF 2020 - Stage 7 Millau - Lavaur 168 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Even if Jumbo don't win the Tour it's been an absolutely stellar first week for them.

A stellar first week maybe, but not winning the Tour with this team would be a massive fail.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Oh, and for those doubting the sense of Bora's tactics from the point of view of Buchmann, he moved up 5 places on GC. He's overtaken Pogacar, Chaves, Mollema, Landa and Porte. I'm reasonably sure he will be quite content with that.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

For me, the highlight of what was an excellent stage was Cosnefroy's panic in the last 500 metres of the first climb as he realised that the day was not turning out as he'd expected it would. It was almost slapstick comedy.

What put the absolute cherry on top was the Bora riders realising what they'd done to him and sheepishly waving him through to take the points. Absolutely superb TV.
    What made it even funnier was that he barely had the energy left to accept their invitation. Comedy gold.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

Even if Jumbo don't win the Tour it's been an absolutely stellar first week for them.

roglic is going to win it with one leg?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2020
    DeadCalm said:

Oh, and for those doubting the sense of Bora's tactics from the point of view of Buchmann, he moved up 5 places on GC. He's overtaken Pogacar, Chaves, Mollema, Landa and Porte. I'm reasonably sure he will be quite content with that.

That would be me.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    If what happened to Carapaz had happened to him, I am sure a few others on here would then be doubting Bora's tactics in terms of the GC.
    And what happened to Carapaz was the reason I questioned Bora's tactics in the first place.
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

Pross said:

Peter SAGAN PETER SAGAN 21 BORA - HANSGROHE 138 PTS -
    2 Sam BENNETT SAM BENNETT 43 DECEUNINCK - QUICK - STEP 129 PTS -
    3 Wout VAN AERT WOUT VAN AERT 18 TEAM JUMBO - VISMA 106 PTS

Green jersey competition still looking interesting

Yep, not a massive reward for all the effort. I still think Sagan will win it comfortably as he'll pick up points at the intermediate sprints on mountain stages but given how it looked at half way through the stage I suspect Bennett will be quite happy with that.
    I'm not unconvinced that Bora's initial plan was to take it as far as the sprint and then sit up. They certainly seemed to be on the point of doing so (which incidentally is why I think de Gendt thought it was worth a pop off the front) until BB went to the front to lend a hand.
    De Gendt only went off the front about 500m from the top of the climb - about 16km after the sprint. They already had 6 minutes by then and the Bennett group wasn't coming back.
    Exactly. It wasn't 6 from memory but it was big enough. I think de Gendt was gambling on Bora only wanting to do enough to stay ahead of the Bennett group and not being particularly motivated to chase him. I reckon de Gendt hoped that Sagan knew that he was not going to win the sprint so why would he bother bother chasing down a loan escapee. If the wind wasn't strong enough to provoke echelons then maybe, just maybe it could have worked. As I said at the time though, he was doomed because, even if the wind wasn't strong enough, the race to get into position would up the pace enough to bring him back.
    Team My Man 2022:

• I like how De Gendt decides to knock work on the head for the day and go for a bike ride.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeadCalm
    My pessimism about Groupama FDJ coping with wind appears to have been unjustified. An astonishing 5 FDJ riders arrived in the same time as the winner, beaten only by Astana (who managed to get a remarkable 7 riders in the final group) and equal to Jumbo who also had 5 riders on the same time. No other team managed to bring more than 3 riders in the final group and Ineos ended up with just Bernal on the same time as WVA. One might argue that this is harsh on Ineos who'd have probably had 4 riders in the lead group if it weren't for Carapaz's puncture (and 3 if they hadn't made the bizarre decision to send Castroviejo back for him) but these are exactly the kind of misfortunes that would have befallen FDJ in years gone by.
    It does seem that FDJ have finally been paying attention in class.
    Team My Man 2022:

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Saw the stage as VOD a bit delayed. Marvelous stage Really liked it.

The decision to send Castroviejo to Carapaz was rather asinine even in the moment. The speed the first group were doing 65 km/h made it an impossibility for them to even limit losses let alone catch up again. Groupama was quite passive before, the moment Ineos was reduced to 2 riders they started drilling it.
    If I were Ineos DS, I'd have called Carapaz' race and told him to join the Maillot Blanc group. Was a pointless waste of energy.

Kwiatkowski looking back to semi decent form (for his super high potential). Castroviejo and van Baarle looked good too.

Jumbo in total control.

Bardet doing a great Haimar Zubeldia impression.

This Tour has me very optimistic. I see some fireworks approaching!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    DeadCalm said:

My pessimism about Groupama FDJ coping with wind appears to have been unjustified. An astonishing 5 FDJ riders arrived in the same time as the winner, beaten only by Astana (who managed to get a remarkable 7 riders in the final group) and equal to Jumbo who also had 5 riders on the same time. No other team managed to bring more than 3 riders in the final group and Ineos ended up with just Bernal on the same time as WVA. One might argue that this is harsh on Ineos who'd have probably had 4 riders in the lead group if it weren't for Carapaz's puncture (and 3 if they hadn't made the bizarre decision to send Castroviejo back for him) but these are exactly the kind of misfortunes that would have befallen FDJ in years gone by.

Kwiatkowski was in the front group too wasn't he?
  • m.r.m.
    Was Kwiatkowski and Bernal at the end. Kwiato dropped off in the final 200 m.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Oh yeah, EBH is still in the peloton.

He was the next Eddy Merckx, you know...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Looking at the remaining stages it does look at a lot harder for Sagan this year. Most of the intermediates have been put before any climbs. He is a slight favourite with the bookies.
  • DeadCalm
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

Kwiatkowski was in the front group too wasn't he?
    Strictly not as he lost 15 seconds, but I'll give you him given that his one minute effort caused the split.
    Team My Man 2022:

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ddraver said:

Still 5th on the currently active riders with the most wins list. For all the criticism he gets, he's had a very respectable career.
  • Apologies to all Bennet fans, I switched him in for Sagan in my fantasy team and killed him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    andyp said:

ddraver said:

Still 5th on the currently active riders with the most wins list. For all the criticism he gets, he's had a very respectable career.
    I've nothing against the man Eddy. But... without looking, can you name his last win?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

andyp said:

ddraver said:

I've nothing against the man Eddy. But... without looking, can you name his last win?
    At a guess, something in the Tour of Norway. I've nothing against him either, but I think there's some shit small races padding the palmares
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

Apologies to all Bennet fans, I switched him in for Sagan in my fantasy team and killed him.

Beat you to it by calling it last night. 😉
    pblakeney said:

S7 - Bennett.

That should bring on the cross winds and splits.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    andyp said:

ddraver said:

I'd rate him as the third best Norweigan who has ridden in the last decade
  • andyp said:

ddraver said:

He ruined his prospects when he joined Sky, like when some potentially-great footballers join a big club for the prospect of success and money, but then end up put in a position which doesn't suit them.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ddraver said:

andyp said:

ddraver said:

Dauphine last year. Think it was the opening road stage?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2020
    Someone on the course from another forum reckons it was easily 35C+ today.
    Did somebody (commentators I'm looking at you) call this Autumn?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    6 years since he left Sky. He never was the next Eddy Merckx
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    jimmyjams said:

andyp said:

ddraver said:

He ruined his prospects when he joined Sky, like when some potentially-great footballers join a big club for the prospect of success and money, but then end up put in a position which doesn't suit them.

His first three seasons there were very successful. Maybe the best of his career. But it went wrong somehow over the last two years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Get in. On the ‘heavy’ bike too. Woo bloody hoo.

4 year old heavy frame. Having to ride rim brakes and non sponsored wheels to give it a competitive edge. I pity any one who’s bought one thinking they are this years cutting edge.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    jimmyjams said:

andyp said:

ddraver said:

My memory may be fading but wasn't he a member of Cav's HTC lead out train prior to joining Sky?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    webboo said:

Get in. On the ‘heavy’ bike too. Woo bloody hoo.

4 year old heavy frame. Having to ride rim brakes and non sponsored wheels to give it a competitive edge. I pity any one who’s bought one thinking they are this years cutting edge.
    Ooh... ouch!

Still looks awesome though ;)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2020
    Pross said:

jimmyjams said:

andyp said:

ddraver said:

My memory may be fading but wasn't he a member of Cav's HTC lead out train prior to joining Sky?

They did the 2009 Giro and Tirreno together but nothing else stage race wise.
    Both did Milan San Remo and 2008 Scheldejpris which Cavendish both won and Gent-Wevelgem which EBH won

(Not from memory. CQ Ranking)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    ddraver said:

andyp said:

ddraver said:

That Tour stage 18 I think where he took the roundabout super fast and beat the sprinters to the punch? Must have been 2018?!