TDF 2020 - Stage 7 Millau - Lavaur 168 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I deserve better too
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Lol
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546

Like Sagan can outsprint WvA lol

:D;) well said
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

david37 said:

i think this stage attracts a 22% finishing time cut off bearing in mind the speed

It's about half that.
    only if its rated as coefficiant 1 no particular difficulty, in whic case its only 11% or 23 mins. Still seems like quite a lot
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Bernal was surprisingly far forward in the sprint. EBH rolling back the years a bit over the last couple of days which is nice to see. Disappointing for Coquard.
  • Pross
    david37 said:

david37 said:

i think this stage attracts a 22% finishing time cut off bearing in mind the speed

It's about half that.
    only if its rated as coefficiant 1 no particular difficulty, in whic case its only 11% or 23 mins. Still seems like quite a lot
    It is coefficient 1 today, it was mentioned on ITV earlier.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross said:

More dodgy sprinting in a small group of non-sprinters than there has been in the proper bunch sprints! Was that EBH in second? If so he did well after being the first to go from what seemed way too far out.

Watching from above, Ala comes round and then bumps into Stuyven - who was sprinting in a straight line...

In the interview Alaphilippe said he unclipped I think (assuming the translation is OK) which meant he couldn't sprint properly.

Bernal, Yates and Valverde in 8,9,10. Bernal has a habit of sneaking up there in sprints!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

Wva might as well give it a go . He might be tired though

@rick_chasey thinks he is a shoe in for the win today.
    If he sprints he wins is my guess ..
    Broken clocks and all that ;)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Pross said:

Bernal was surprisingly far forward in the sprint. EBH rolling back the years a bit over the last couple of days which is nice to see. Disappointing for Coquard.

8th against mainly sprinters seems fine, nothing to be gained by doing more
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    That made a boring day at work go by nicely...

There are gonna be a lot of print journos kept in money by writing about the WvA Vs MvdP "duel"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Good stage .plenty of drama
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Pross said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

It's about half that.
    It is coefficient 1 today, it was mentioned on ITV earlier.
    Ah nice one, everyone should get through to receive a proper kicking over the weekend :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    alan_a said:

I can outsprint Sagan if he hasn't got a chain
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • So, Sagan's bomb has blown up the lesser lights in the green jersey competition and moved van Aert into contention.
    Time to start a #freewout campaign
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    inseine said:

Pross said:

8th against mainly sprinters seems fine, nothing to be gained by doing more
    Yep, I was just surprised to see him being the first GC contender in that sort of finish especially as he was working hard when the split first opened. I'd have thought the likes of Yates and Valverde would outsprint him.
  • mididoctors
    Sagan unluck
  • Pross
    Going to be some tired legs at the start of tomorrow's big mountain stage. Hopefully Pogacar's error today will mean he'll try to attack in the coming days.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    I love echelon stages. Every year they provide the most exciting racing.

Any idea which teams were on the rollers before the start... and as a rival DS if you see a team like Bora on the rollers in the paddock why don't you prep or warn your own guys that something is going down from the start?
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

alan_a said:

We both know he wouldn't have won anyway.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    For me, the highlight of what was an excellent stage was Cosnefroy's panic in the last 500 metres of the first climb as he realised that the day was not turning out as he'd expected it would. It was almost slapstick comedy.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Peter SAGAN PETER SAGAN 21 BORA - HANSGROHE 138 PTS -
    2 Sam BENNETT SAM BENNETT 43 DECEUNINCK - QUICK - STEP 129 PTS -
    3 Wout VAN AERT WOUT VAN AERT 18 TEAM JUMBO - VISMA 106 PTS

Green jersey competition still looking interesting
  • DeadCalm said:

For me, the highlight of what was an excellent stage was Cosnefroy's panic in the last 500 metres of the first climb as he realised that the day was not turning out as he'd expected it would. It was almost slapstick comedy.

What put the absolute cherry on top was the Bora riders realising what they'd done to him and sheepishly waving him through to take the points. Absolutely superb TV.
  • RichN95. said:

alan_a said:

He was already well beaten by the time his chain came off.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95. said:

alan_a said:

He was already well beaten by the time his chain came off.
    He was, but presumably had hoped to take rather more points than he did.
  • rick_chasey
    Even if Jumbo don't win the Tour it's been an absolutely stellar first week for them.
  • Pross

Peter SAGAN PETER SAGAN 21 BORA - HANSGROHE 138 PTS -

Yep, not a massive reward for all the effort. I still think Sagan will win it comfortably as he'll pick up points at the intermediate sprints on mountain stages but given how it looked at half way through the stage I suspect Bennett will be quite happy with that.
  • alan_a said:

I love echelon stages. Every year they provide the most exciting racing.

Any idea which teams were on the rollers before the start... and as a rival DS if you see a team like Bora on the rollers in the paddock why don't you prep or warn your own guys that something is going down from the start?

Mother Nature put the shits up them to make it interesting. That’s a poor state of affairs.

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Pross said:

Yep, not a massive reward for all the effort. I still think Sagan will win it comfortably as he'll pick up points at the intermediate sprints on mountain stages but given how it looked at half way through the stage I suspect Bennett will be quite happy with that.
    I'm not unconvinced that Bora's initial plan was to take it as far as the sprint and then sit up. They certainly seemed to be on the point of doing so (which incidentally is why I think de Gendt thought it was worth a pop off the front) until BB went to the front to lend a hand.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • First top 10 of the race for Movistar?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited September 2020
    DeadCalm said:

Pross said:

I'm not unconvinced that Bora's initial plan was to take it as far as the sprint and then sit up. They certainly seemed to be on the point of doing so (which incidentally is why I think de Gendt thought it was worth a pop off the front) until BB went to the front to lend a hand.
    De Gendt only went off the front about 500m from the top of the climb - about 16km after the sprint. They already had 6 minutes by then and the Bennett group wasn't coming back.