TDF 2020 - Stage 7 Millau - Lavaur 168 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Like Sagan can outsprint WvA lol

A bit early to be sniffing Wout's saddle, Rick.
    He may well have to work his socks off this afternoon.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Just shows how often the transition stages are more fun than those that look tasty on paper
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Luke Rowe caught out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    Rowe not in front group which could be a big issue for Bernal later. A lot of Mitchelton missing too.
  • mididoctors
    Even if wva wins it still works for Sagan if he is there about too
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inseine
    Pross said:

Rowe not in front group which could be a big issue for Bernal later. A lot of Mitchelton missing too.

Yep, they need to decide soon if it's worth killing themselves for nothing.
  • Oss is a bit of a monster really.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross said:

What caused it anyway? Was it simply Bora hammering it on the relatively minor hills?

Yeah, they drilled it on the first classified climb (rather sheepishly ushering Cosnefroy, who'd been out sniffing for points on his own, across the line in front of them). The road was quite exposed with a bit of a crosswind, which I think aided the splits, and people were in the wrong places because they weren't expecting it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    It's only really Bora that have a proper echelon going, so presumably everyone in the front group is suffering.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,238

Oss is a bit of a monster really.

A bit?
  • mididoctors
    Bennet group not coming back
  • inseine
    I'm always amazing in the head on shots how Sagan is the guy who looks the least like a pro cyclist.
  • Imagine if Sagan has a puncture in 2 or 3 kms... o:)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean

Bennet group not coming back

They weren't coming back from the moment they got really close and Bora just upped the speed. That was the moment to give everything and they didn't have it.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

Norman Foster design. The towers are hollow, there is a staircase inside. If you fall from the top it is a long way down.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Hitting the climb after the sprint will be interesting.
    Who's just getting a lift to the foot of the climb?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • We have some entertainment!
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited September 2020

Imagine if Sagan has a puncture in 2 or 3 kms... o:)

Ha, I’d just come on to say exactly that :D
  • inseine
    Sagan goes into virtual green
  • LOL Trentin
  • TheBigBean
    The intermediate sprint has revealed the sprinters still present: Coquard, Trentin and Sagan (plus WVA)

Trentin won it.
  • inseine
    Trentin is going to be a legitimate challenger for green in this Tour.
  • Trentin popping up to nab the maximum points is an excellent piece of poo-housery there.
  • So, hold the gap now and hope for more crosswinds?
  • They should if only for the entertainment of those of us watching and in this thread.
  • TheBigBean
    Live green jersey

1   PETER SAGAN 134 PTS
    2   SAM BENNETT 129 PTS
    3   ALEXANDER KRISTOFF 93 PTS
    4   MATTEO TRENTIN 91 PTS
    5   BRYAN COQUARD 85 PTS
    6   JULIAN ALAPHILIPPE 77 PTS
    7   CALEB EWAN 75 PTS
    8   GREG VAN AVERMAET 64 PTS
    9   CEES BOL 62 PTS
    10   GIACOMO NIZZOLO 61 PTS
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Sagan has form this kind of stuff. He encouraged the same thing in the Galibier stage in 2011 in an effort to get Cavendish outside the time limit.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Slightly changing the subject, do we think Valverde is rubbish or saving himself for later on?
  • mididoctors
    No GC guys out of it .perfect peloton politics so far for Bora
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    The one Bora rider looked like a commuter there riding with his backpack on. Rubbing salt in a bit! I'm surprised no-one though "uh oh, Bora are massing at the front. They must be up to something". It's not like they'd have been there for any other reason so presumably riders were genuinely dropped rather than caught out.