Comments

• Looking forward to seeing new GC
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

I preferred the book...

Story of cycling...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lutsenko powering along like a finely tuned Ferrari engine.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    It's like a club run
  • Ironically, if this was a sprint stage, the peloton would be winding it up, not winding it down.

Dropped riders continually getting back and swelling their numbers.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Mitchelton-Scott riding to ensure GVA or Powless take the bonus seconds.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Awkward finish, so look out for another 500 metre burn up.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Classy ride I guess
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586

Classy ride I guess

42kph average speed - not slow.
  • Herrada 55 seconds down only
  • mididoctors
    JA KNICKS A SECOND !
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    Baise toi, Adam!!!
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    GC battle
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Really early finish today.
  • mididoctors
    Well that was underwhelming . Loved the route
  • Really early finish today.

They are going to be back at the hotel for tea

• mididoctors

Strong breakaway
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Good show from JA
  • That was a lovely looking climb
  • phreak
    Very weird Tour this. Can't remember the last time the first two mountain top finishes have had such big groups coming to the line.
  • I wanted to at this stage when it came out last year. Has anyone done that climb?
  • phreak said:

Very weird Tour this. Can't remember the last time the first two mountain top finishes have had such big groups coming to the line.

Effect of limited race miles?

• Really early finish today.

As scheduled.
    They were well ahead of the fastest schedule until the climbing started, but ended up back on schedule.

JHB on Eurosport basically called the stage a bore.
    Shows it doesn't matter how tasty the ASO design the parcour, you can't make the riders race them.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Still no Movistar top 10 finish.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Excellent ride by Lutsenko. My feeling on the Ineos tactics is that Bernal is still feeling his back problem and they were therefore discouraging anyone putting him under pressure in which case it worked plus, as others have said, allowing the break to stay away meant that no-one important had a shot at the bonus seconds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    phreak said:

We usually wouldn't have had them so early though plus there's usually an opportunity for a favourite to have dropped a few seconds through a TT or mishap before reaching the mountains so more to play for. I don't think the bonus seconds help either, I'm surprised they were brought in as the Vuelta showed that riders would keep everything together in the hope of gaining a bit of time in a sprint for the line.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    DeadCalm said:

inseine said:

not sure it was Gaudu

Must have been somebody else wearing his number then.
    Gaudu may have got back in but the rider they showed rejoining was Madouas.
    That's what I thought, also Gaudu finished 10mins down which was a good effort if he'd got back on so close to the finish.
  • ddraver

JHB on Eurosport
    Julia Hinchley Bratter?
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    Pross said:

phreak said:

We usually wouldn't have had them so early though plus there's usually an opportunity for a favourite to have dropped a few seconds through a TT or mishap before reaching the mountains so more to play for. I don't think the bonus seconds help either, I'm surprised they were brought in as the Vuelta showed that riders would keep everything together in the hope of gaining a bit of time in a sprint for the line.
    Normally with fresh legs you'd expect a bit of action though. Across the two stages, we've had a fairly lacklustre attack from Aru, who isn't really a GC contender these days. That's it. It's been incredibly dull.