TDF 2020 - Stage 5: Gap - Privas 183km *Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    edited September 2020
    So it was a private arrangement with his cousin, rather than an official QS drinks station...? No wonder he took his penalty with just a metaphorical shrug of the shoulders.

Wonder what was in the bottle...some sort of special QS finishing pot?
    Half man, Half bike
  • No, his cousin works for DQS, in a nepotism kind of way.

IIRC his brothers rides for DQS or their development team, too.

I assume his Mum is Press Officer, although I might have made that up
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Seems a very odd mistake to make. I can understand doing it on a day in the mountains where you're at the pointy end and starting to dehydrate but yesterday they had a perfect day for the domestiques to keep him topped up as much as possible and I can't see why a late bottle would have even be needed.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Just an epic brain fart all round innit...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Rather kind of Lefevere to defend the "mishap" publicly under those circumstances. :#
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Turns out that the lead car at yesterday's stage was a Skoda EV (based on the new VW EV platform). First time a electric car has been used in that role. Though they are only using it at some stages this year...

Apparently, 30 of the 250 Skodas being used at the Tour this year are electric.

• dish_dash said:

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about what might have been in the bottle... :wink::D

For that to happen he would have had to sign for Ineos overnight.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited September 2020

dish_dash said:

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about what might have been in the bottle... :wink::D

I actually think he was handing it back. I suspected he was doping ( although ketone esters were legal ) last year, that would go a large way to explaining his ‘strategy’. Play the ‘nice guy’ everyone loves him, but he’s actually on the Ketone esters ( at least ) and hands the contaminated bidons back before the finish line.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    So he got a 20 second penalty for handing back a bottle? Genius.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

dish_dash said:

I actually think he was handing it back. I suspected he was doping ( although ketone esters were legal ) last year, that would go a large way to explaining his ‘strategy’. Play the ‘nice guy’ everyone loves him, but he’s actually on the Ketone esters ( at least ) and hands the contaminated bidons back before the finish line.
    He's in the yellow jersey and is therefore 100% going to be tested at the end of the stage. And you think he's doping mid-race? You'd find a nice home at the Clinic.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

He's in the yellow jersey and is therefore 100% going to be tested at the end of the stage. And you think he's doping mid-race? You'd find a nice home at the Clinic.
    There’s no test for K.E. I might have known someone who pushed it as a solution for team G.B. at London 2012. It might have worked well, it might have been employed in some sort of ‘jiffy bag’ at a later event. If it works for the elite British military, it could ( presumably ) work for a national Olympic team, and beyond.

• Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190

DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

There’s no test for K.E. I might have known someone who pushed it as a solution for team G.B. at London 2012. It might have worked well, it might have been employed in some sort of ‘jiffy bag’ at a later event. If it works for the elite British military, it could ( presumably ) work for a national Olympic team, and beyond.

Why not just become keto adapted , MCT oil will provide ketones . Lots of endurance athletes are on a Fat as fuel diet ,- no carbs grains sugars
  • Matti66 said:

DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

Why not just become keto adapted , MCT oil will provide ketones . Lots of endurance athletes are on a Fat as fuel diet ,- no carbs grains sugars
    ‘Time and space constraints’ allegedly. No time to do it naturally, no space to get it wrong ( completely allegedly ).

• Matti66
    Two weeks in the ‘hinterland ‘ for most a month to be adapted
  • Matti66 said:

Two weeks in the ‘hinterland ‘ for most a month to be adapted

Yep, agreed, but that strategy has no guarantees. Chugging a load of K.E. is a safer bet.
  • DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

There’s no test for K.E.

That's because there doesn't need to be.
    Now, kindly b*gger off to somewhere that appreciates this sort of thing during long awaited racing.
    Or alternatively, you can take over making these threads and then you can't spout all the sh8t you want.

• Matti66
    I was going to ask why it was a safer bet ,? / i don’ t think it is as if you're not adapted it wont help a lot /. Fair enough Blazing - I’m out - and for the record its not cheating any way as any fool knows. And I am definitely a fool!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

DeadCalm said:

dish_dash said:

Ketones aren't banned, so there would be no need for any of this secrecy. I don't believe for a second that's what was in the jiffy bag nor that you haven't made all this up...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited September 2020
    andyp said:

So he got a 20 second penalty for handing back a bottle? Genius.

If you (not you personally, the troll mainly) actually watch the bottle handup, it's very obvious he is taking a bottle not handing it back. It couldn't be much clearer: https://www.facebook.com/globalcyclingnetwork/videos/364766468245938/

And on Twitter, with slowed down and zoomed in replays (not that it was needed):

To suggest otherwise is stupid.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    And here was me thinking he deserved recognition for keeping France tidy, not a 20 second penalty for an illegal feed.
  • Matti66 said:

I was going to ask why it was a safer bet ,? / i don’ t think it is as if you're not adapted it wont help a lot /. Fair enough Blazing - I’m out - and for the record its not cheating any way as any fool knows. And I am definitely a fool!

Not blaming you in any way for responding.
    If he wants to talk conspiracy theories about what is essentially non doping doping, all he has to do is set up a thread on it.
    It's not hard to do after all.
    Then he can troll up whoever replies, rather than send racing threads off on a tangent to nowhere.