TDF 2020 - Stage 5: Gap - Privas 183km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Can Yates keep it tomorrow?
  • He was handing an empty bidon back to the soigneur

Yeah, cos they all do that, all the time.
    No doubt that's excuse they will go to appeal with.
    Not that they need one, when they have the Bardet precedent.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kauto5 said:

Can Yates keep it tomorrow overnight?

Fixed it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    In other news, today's Combativity Award was given to Wout Poels for being the most injured rider to finish (seriously)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m. said:

That rule is stupid.

Not when the peloton is cranking out 60+km/h and the sprint trains are setting up. Could possibly be brought a bit closer to the finish, but it's essentially a safety issue. Besides, everyone knows it's there, you just need to make sure you got someone back to the car at around 25k out and get stocked up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Sure, but it's not like those on the side of the road take the bottle at 60. The others move past them. It's no different really to someone doing their turn and then pulling off to the side.
    This isn't going to be the hill I want to die on defending, but it seems needlessly rulesy. ;)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    It is a bit odd that you have the season destroyed, and luckily they’ve managed to put on the biggest race of them all and they don’t feel the need to make a bit of a spectacle.

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

He was handing an empty bidon back to the soigneur

Yeah, cos they all do that, all the time.
    No doubt that's excuse they will go to appeal with.
    Not that they need one, when they have the Bardet precedent.
    Except, they aren't going to appeal.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Who exactly? When it comes to riders, it just seems like some are lacking form; like Sagan or even Bennett when considering how he has been dropped off regularly, or Ineos so far.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Harry182 said:

WVA!!

(I would have had him for PTP but was convinced JV wouldn't let hem off the leash.)

Yeah, ahem, me too...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I'm assuming QS knew what they were doing and wanted rid of the jersey.
    Half man, Half bike
  • I'm assuming QS knew what they were doing and wanted rid of the jersey.

Errr

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I get a feeling that the teams are largely just going to bugger about during all the stages this year ( barring stage 20) releasing their sprinters as and when appropriate, to keep the finishes mildly interesting, then pin everything on the only TT in this year’s Tour, for the G.C. with all G.C. contenders ( remaining ) on insignificant time gaps at the start of stage 20, then bugger about all the way back to Paris, releasing any remaining sprinters for a ‘grandstand finish’. That’s if Covid allows it to reach Paris.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    gweeds said:

What’s the reason for this rule? Safety?

Basically
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Yates won't be happy getting the jersey like that
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    They should have known better, it's not a new rule. If the rule is there you can't just arbitrarily ignore it because it's the yellow jersey, or because a Frenchman is in yellow. Froome got the same penalty for an illegal feed in 2013 while in yellow (I had to look up the year and the penalty).

Kennaugh on the ITV highlights reckons the soigneur might have parked in the wrong place perhaps.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    I wonder if Yates will actually put on the yellow jersey tomorrow.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Of course he will.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207

He’ll get fined, at least, if he doesn’t
  • mididoctors
    Not feeling this tbh ... Seems harsh but whatever .b
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    edited September 2020
    cq20 said:

Plenty have inherited the jersey in the past due to another's misfortune and not worn it.
    I'll also caveat my comments in that I have been out helping with our club TT so only just seen this news, and hadn't seen that Adam seems to have been given the jersey on the podium.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510

cq20 said:

Plenty have inherited the jersey in the past due to another's misfortune and not worn it.
    I'll also caveat my comments in that I have been out helping with our club TT so only just seen this news, and hadn't seen that Adam seems to have been given the jersey on the podium.
    I think he said in his interview that he would be wearing it.
  • I'm assuming QS knew what they were doing and wanted rid of the jersey.

Errr

When Alaphilippe was interviewed about the incident, he seemed a bit embarrassed, and more so when he was asked if he was aiming at tomorrow's stage – which will now of course be easier as not in yellow and the team not needing to control things.

On the other hand, it was DS Tom Steels birthday today, and maybe the backup team started celebrating with the Champagne a bit early, and then lost track of how far they were already along the route.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

cq20 said:

One of cycling's unwritten rules, but only applies if the previous jersey wearer crashes out of the race.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    The last time Yates was given yellow was also in the kind of circumstances in which you don't want it, when froome went running up that hill. It was then taken off him before he wore it though.

There's no debate here. Everyone knows the rule. They just messed up.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • It was his trainer and cousin Franck ala who gave him the bottle...
  • It was his trainer and cousin Franck ala who gave him the bottle...

Never, ever, offer your family work experience gigs.

(from a purely selfish perspective I am gutted - gutted, I tell you - that his cousin wasn't called Jerome)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    edited September 2020

It was his trainer and cousin Franck ala who gave him the bottle...

Is that the same guy who was linked to a previous indiscretion by a female French rider?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 said:

It was his trainer and cousin Franck ala who gave him the bottle...

Is that the same guy who was linked to a previous indiscretion by a female French rider?
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/julian-alaphilippe-angry-cousin-coach-linked-epo-positive-438227
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Surprised there hasn't been more talk about what might have been in the bottle... :wink::D