TDF 2020: Stage 6: Le Teil > Mont Aigoual 191 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited September 2020 in Pro race
Stage 6: Le Teil > Mont Aigoual Length 191 km

The 6th stage on the Tour de France dips its toe in the Massif Central. The race from Le Teil to Mont Aigoual amounts to 191 kilometres. The last 26 kilometres run mostly uphill.
The finish at the Mont Aigoual will be situated on a vast “plateau” on the borders of the Gard and Lozère departments

The peloton sets off to enter the highly picturesque Ardèche region. On lumpy roads the riders head for an uphill finale. To be precise, an uphill in three stages. Expect the ascent to thin the peloton of the heavy sprinters and rouleurs. It’s a day for the hard men in the breakaway, and it’s 190 kilometers, which means riders will now have 1,000km in their legs.

Only the first part of the race takes place on the flat, the rest of the route is constantly undulating.

After 165.5 kilometres in the saddle the riders move through Le Vigan. Shortly, they tackle the Col des Mourèzes, which is a 6 kilometres climb with an average gradient of 4.8%.

A few kilometres on the flat usher in the hardest part of the route. After Mandagout the route returns to climbing again, often at double digit gradients. The Col de la Lusette is 11.7 kilometres long and the average gradient sits at 7.3%. The first three riders over the summit gain time bonuses of 8, 5 and 2 seconds.

The riders crest the unprecedented Lusette with 14 kilometres remaining. Following a downhill section the Mont Aigoual appears. The final climb is 8.3 kilometres long and slopes at 4%.

The route is tailor-made for a successful breakaway, albeit after a hard battle to be in it.
A GC battle is also on the cards.
Lusette features an interesting section of 4 kilometres with an average gradient of almost 10%. This section starts with 20 kilometres out and it is safe to say that it is the core of the race. Doubtless, GC riders are going to test each other here.

Favourites 6th stage 2020 Tour de France

*** Thomas De Gendt, Alexey Lutsenko, Primoz Roglic, Egan Bernal
** Tom Dumoulin, Julian Alaphilippe, Richard Carapaz, Miguel Angel Lopez
* Tadej Pogacar, Thibaut Pinot, Emmanuel Buchmann, Greg Van Avermaet

Le Teil
No previous stage

Population: 8,800

Regularly on the map of the women’s Tour de l’Ardèche, Le Teil was once the playground of British riders with victories by Lizzie Armistead in 2010 and Emma Pooley in 2011 and 2012. In the men’s peloton, Germany’s Nikias Arndt won a bunch sprint here in the Criterium du Dauphiné in 2014. The Tour de France had never before visited this lovely little town on the banks of the Rhone, close to Montelimar.

Ardèche maouche
Maouche, or maoche, a culinary specialty typical of the Ardèche plateau, is a pork belly filled with stuffing made from cabbage and sausage meat.
The stuffing can be made with lean pork and bacon, or incorporate other vegetables: carrots, potatoes ... In southern Ardèche, green cabbage and prunes can be replaced with chard leaves or spinach to make “pouytrolle”.

Mont Aigoual

No previous stage
Summit (1,567 m) of the Massif central at the limits of Gard (30) and Lozère (48)
Population: 1,500

The Tour de France had never stopped at the top of this hotspot of Resistance in Cévennes (1,571 m) but it still rode over it in 1987 in the 17th stage between Millau and Avignon. Italy’s Silvano Conti was first at the top, then rated as a 2nd category climb but the stage was not going up the dreadful Col de la Lusette unlike this year.
Dutch sprinter Jean-Paul Van Poppel had won the stage in Avignon while Charly Motte retained the yellow jersey. It is also on col de Perjuret on the hillsides of Mont Aigoual that Frenchman Roger Rivière crashed heavily in the 1960 Tour, an accident that put an end to his career.

Le Vigan apples
Renowned since the 18th century, the Reinette du Vigan apple has managed to survive the appearance of new, more profitable varieties, thanks to the passion and loyalty of the locals for their terroir. The variety is tasty, easy to cook but also gives excellent apple juice. It owes its success to a land where orchards benefit from the sunshine of the Mediterranean and the pure waters rising on Mont-Aigoual, making it special and unique. Harvested from September to October, the Le Vigan apple can be kept for the whole winter.

The Apple and Onion Market in Le Vigan.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2020
    The mid-stage weather forecast for Alès

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    edited September 2020
    Mont Aigouil is the scene of Tim Krabbe's book
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It's like the Vuelta course designers were asked to do a stage.
  • Pross
    Does it count as a MTF?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Breakaway day, seeing as they've all been on a coffee ride today?
  • Pross said:

Does it count as a MTF?

It's odd isn't it.
    Total ascent is 1500 metres over 27kms at an average about a 5.5%, but the last 8kms aren't categorised.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Well, Roglic is the bookie's favourite, not much love for the breakaway there (Lutsenko, De Gendt, De Marchi down at ~20:1).

As Inrng points out the break would need powerful riders for the flatter roads but it won't be attractive to them because of the finishing climb, and vice versa for the climbers the flatter roads in the run up to that climb may put them off as well.

I guess a bigger break with multiple riders from each team could work around this but that seems unlikely at this stage in the race.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    That finale is perfectly suited to Yates.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • There's also precious little to tempt the break out, as all the KoM points come near the end
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Main thing is whoever wins should be some upstart who refuses to do any work.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Scott should get in the break to make this interesting
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Eisel reporting a cross tailwind not long after the KM 0. If I remember right Millar said yesterday that is the most dangerous for splitting the peloton, especially on fast roads. After a slow day yesterday, hopefully some chaos today.
  • Pross
    Yep, cross tail with the opportunity to string the bunch out on the approach is what generally works best. It gets telegraphed but basically the pace on the approach is too hard to allow you to move up if you aren't already well positioned. Rowe and DQS seem to be the masters of it in the current peloton.
  • mididoctors
    Tom steels looking gnarly but trim.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2020
    Steels Vs moncason Bottle rage . Google it
  • Pross

Pross said:

Does it count as a MTF?

It's odd isn't it.
    Total ascent is 1500 metres over 27kms at an average about a 5.5%, but the last 8kms aren't categorised.
    Reduces the KoM points on offer then presumably. Any other potential rule impacts as a result?
  • mididoctors
    Creates 2 finish line mentality and early attacking given the time bonus
  • mididoctors
    I like what they are trying to do . Not sure it will pan out . The riders are fickle
  • mididoctors
    If your going for kom your not discouraged by someone sitting in all day leap frogging your all day effort at the finish .
  • mididoctors
    Their off . I feel tired already
  • Main thing is whoever wins should be some upstart who refuses to do any work.

Main thing is, they ride in a straight line.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    Strong break forming GvA Roche harrada
  • mididoctors
    Peloton showing interest
  • mididoctors
    Ebh slides across ... Peloton chasing
  • mididoctors
    Oss and lutchenko
  • mididoctors
    That is s strong group
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

OK fine no-one has read the rider.

I'm wasted on you lot ;)
  • mididoctors
    14 secs
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

OK fine no-one has read the rider.

I'm wasted on you lot ;)
    I get it

(... now)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I thought the peloton looked to be getting ready for a comfort break, but they are strung out again.