Leeds Castle in Kent I believe
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Look s like someone s back garden

Its the garden at Pebble Mill.
  • The ITV studios in Maidstone Kent.
    I claim my £5
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Are the comms at the stage finish or is that remote too?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

The ITV studios in Maidstone Kent.
    I claim my £5

That would make sense. I know some of them are staying at Leeds Castle which is nearby.
  • RichN95.
    Matti66 said:

Are the comms at the stage finish or is that remote too?

No they're in Kent or at home. And Eurosport are all at their homes I believe. In different countries.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Thanks @RichN95.
  • Ned mentioned that (for quarantine reasons) David was commentating from his sister's house in Manchester "for some time" before joining Ned in person later in the race. Boardman (at least) is staying at Leeds Castle, so Maidstone makes sense.

Wherever it is, it's not close enough to a hairdresser for Pete Kennaugh
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Kennaugh is quite a good addition to the team and it's nice to see him looking / sounding so relaxed. It's a shame he had to retire without perhaps having the chance to fulfill his potential though.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I thought they were at the race dammit ...spoilt it for me now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242

I thought they were at the race dammit ...spoilt it for me now

Neither the Belgian nor the Dutch commentators are at the race.

They're loving it.

They say nowadays most teams won't talk to you in the hotel anyway, so why sit in a tiny cabin where you can't see anything anyway and schlep around France when you can cycle in and out of the office and sleep in your own bed.
  • RichN95.

They say nowadays most teams won't talk to you in the hotel anyway, so why sit in a tiny cabin where you can't see anything anyway and schlep around France when you can cycle in and out of the office and sleep in your own bed.

Maybe not true of commentators but for the other journalists it's always seemed to me like a middle-aged 'lads on tour' trip with more interest in eating and drinking on expense accounts than watching cycling.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    RichN95. said:

Maybe not true of commentators but for the other journalists it's always seemed to me like a middle-aged 'lads on tour' trip with more interest in eating and drinking on expense accounts than watching cycling.
    Surely that's half the point of a grand tour. Getting journalists to experience the "colour" and write about it, thus advertising the region/wine/food etc.
  • There was much chortling on the ITV podcast about - I think - the French punditry team following the race in the gondola of a CGI airship. I have no idea whether a) my leg is being pulled or b) I wasn't actually dreaming, but I desperately desperately want it to be true.

I mean seriously - imagine if all cycling coverage looked like this?

(and boy does he look like a Movistar DS surveying the smouldering wreckage of yet another three-leader policy)
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020
    dish_dash said:

Surely that's half the point of a grand tour. Getting journalists to experience the "colour" and write about it, thus advertising the region/wine/food etc.

Yes and no. The problem is now they are reporting on a race to people who have often watched more of the race than them, have the use of a live rewind feature and have been discussing online. There's less and less reason for many of them to be there and I'm surprised editors (of general media) haven't worked this out yet. Race reports written at the race are indistinguishable from those written at home.
  • mididoctors
    It's the sense the commentators are suffering this insane pain fest in some way too. They are on the tour as well I miss that. .. The fatigue is transmitted through them somewhat
    Not to be dismissed .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Plus what about the yearly race they have up the toughest mountain .
  • mididoctors
    World's gone soft ..
  • mididoctors
    The cycling podcast are still dinning out across France I see .
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

The cycling podcast are still dinning out across France I see .

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So long as they're following the rules. Two of the three of them presenting for the Tour live in France anyway.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yes the French commentary is pretending to be from an airship over the route. I think they showed it on the ITV highlights ?