Winter mud guards

Hi all looking for some recommendations for mud guards. Never really bothered before as just rode on nicer days in the winter, but really enjoying my riding this year and want to continue on through the winter.

My bike is the older version of my summer bike, and is more race orientated. So it has no mounting points so need to work round that. Looked at the SKS Raceblade Pro, but a lot of reviews seem to say they don't protect the drive train or your feet.

Can any one recommend something for me please?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Can you not stretch to a winter bike ? Clearance for guards wider tyres and fixing points. Doesn't have to be massively expensive but well worth it.

• Ass saver and shoe covers. Job done.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    fenix said:

Can you not stretch to a winter bike ? Clearance for guards wider tyres and fixing points. Doesn't have to be massively expensive but well worth it.

No. I have a great winter bike that takes up to 30mm tyres but it just doesn't have mud guard mounts. Why would I switch to a whole different bike when I can just ride the same bike I rode all summer but 1 model older?

I know there will be a solution out there so just looking for it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • 50x11
    fenix said:

That's what I'd normally do and just avoid the worst days, but looking to keep up longer rides. Also group I rode with in the spring, pre Covid, require full guards to do their winter rides. I'd like to keep going with them, as they were a nice bunch.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've not seen any quick fit guards that do a proper job. Rattly and just doesn't give you the protection you need - it's hard to get a guard in where there's no clearances.

Full mudguards and flaps and you eliminate all the spray so you only need worry about the rain that's actually falling on you.

Riding a summer bike through Winter will take it's toll on the components - so it's actually cheaper to buy the winter bike. That's what I've told myself anyway.

• 50x11
    It's not a summer bike, it's my winter bike. I also have a summer bike. It's just this is the first winter I'll be using it as such.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Have you got the clearance for 30mm tires plus guards?

Portland design works offer a good set up but somewhat pricey, £100 ish for the full set up Inc full.lenght metal guards, or the non mount fitting kit is about £40 iirc
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    SKS raceblade long.

I use them on my winter bike. They are removed with 4 little tabs which pop out, then all you're left with is a couple of metal brackets.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I used race blades for years and I found them to be good - I did try the longs but went back to the regular ones.
  • 50x11
    andyh01 said:

Portland design works offer a good set up but somewhat pricey, £100 ish for the full set up Inc full.lenght metal guards, or the non mount fitting kit is about £40 iirc

On the back wheel yes (chain mounted brake) but not sure it'll get 30 under the front. Where should I be looking to protect from the most, back or front wheel? Or is is much the same.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    50x11 said:

andyh01 said:

On the back wheel yes (chain mounted brake) but not sure it'll get 30 under the front. Where should I be looking to protect from the most, back or front wheel? Or is is much the same.
    I believe you'll want to protect the front more to try and keep the crud/filth off the drive chain. Really the back is protecting your arse and those riders behind you.
    If you can't fit guard on the front, what about one of those flaps that go on the down tube, again to mainly protect the drive chain. You'll still get the spray coming up top of wheel and potentially soaking your front/mud splats
  • 50x11
    I think I'm going to order the crud product ones and see how I get on fitting. Also had the thought of a downtube one to fit.
  • 50x11
    oxoman said:

Downtube ones are ok until you turn. Using full guard's not only keeps your butt dry butt keeps the worst of the wet off your feet.

Good tip, I was thinking of it as an additional guard but will stick without it. Thanks a lot.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Crud roadracer give very good coverage, don't rattle and are light and unobtrusive... but they are very brittle. I tended to get a max of one winter out of them before something cracked. SKS raceblade longs give just as good coverage but are far more robust. But they are more expensive, and uglier and heavier.

I don't think there are any other temporary guards out there that give anything like the coverage those two do.
  • This is something I'm wrestling with presently as I try to adapt my Focus Mares CX into an all seasons commuter. Absolutely no fittings for taking mudguards of any type bar clip ons that won't offer the coverage required, but I think that a pair of Portland Design Works guards, with some liberal modification should be workable. Liberal use of P-clips and zip ties will hopefully achieve the desired result.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    i put some SKS long guards on my hybrid last year and couldn't believe the difference they make even in the wet there was no splashes at all was really impressed
  • 'Hello to Jason Isaacs'