monday in winter

'ning

cold cold cold, rebuild bike, may fit wheels for turbo

brrrrrr
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Bank Holiday scorchio. Boat trip later. Probably some bickering about packing. Last dinner by the beach.

Returning home tomorrow. Afternoon flight, no driving at the UK end, so may as well crack on a la sungod. Mrs H³ will cast her basilisk stare my way, but fcuk it. :)

Will miss this place.

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Last day of mini break in camper van. No run today as resting tired legs, pub later obviously
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Certainly is chilly, 7 degrees according to weather app and cold enough that my breath was condensing.

Did some guerrilla gardening on the path to the supermarket this morning :naughty: I could do with some agent orange if anyone has some as glyphosate is too slow.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Grey. Baskets those weather people.

Was chilly here too - 5 deg this a.m.

Why the bike rebuild SG? All that Saharan Sirocco sand by any chance.

Bank Holiday means girls are at school and some things are open and some ain't. I'm about to find out wots ain't.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • 21 degrees down here, just packing the wife and kids off to the optician then go for a roll out on the bike.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    pinno said:

not a full rebuild, just the bits that need to come off to fit in the bike box, but also definitely need to clean the dust off a few bits

still need to fit new hoods, the internal retaining lump on one has torn away so the thing tends to slip a couple of mm, the etap hoods seem to wear much faster than old sram red
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    tdf 3 uninterrupted on eurosport, that's the rest of the day sorted
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Lazy day, had porridge and coffee and will head out shortly with the hounds on their supervised squirrel and bird hunting expedition. Later may be exercise.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    edited August 2020
    sungod said:

pinno said:

not a full rebuild, just the bits that need to come off to fit in the bike box, but also definitely need to clean the dust off a few bits
    I find cleaning dust off a bike (from riding, not lack of use) quite satisfying because it's a sign of all those nice dry rides you've been on.

Much better than cleaning crystallised sweat out of your headset/headtube :grimace:
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Meh day of work, offset by a lovely walk at dusk along the beachfront. Afternoon shift the rest of the week so hope the weather holds up and I get a morning ride for coffee in.

Need to start shopping for old MTB parts to fix up last bike I bought.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Lunch done, marmite on toasted bagel.
    Bike ride done, ran out of breath rather than fatigue, all segments well down as well. May commandeer the sofa while I recover before half price DHL family meal out at the curry house, cheers rishi.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, must remember to turn the alarm on for tomorrow.
    Ears lowered by the Mrs, should make me more aero so I can hobble faster. Just popped into Kingston to get some food, it was rammed so I got what I needed and fled.
    Feeling a touch sniffly, I blame DHL. Maybe it's his revenge for me outing him as a vampire.
    Might go and potter in the garage. Bike the lad fished out of the river might have to go back in there, can't get the bottom bracket out. Needs a very strange tool and the hammer and punch technique failed. More likely it will be given to a passing scrap metal wagon.
  • Afternoon folks
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, must remember to turn the alarm on for tomorrow.
    Ears lowered by the Mrs, should make me more aero so I can hobble faster. Just popped into Kingston to get some food, it was rammed so I got what I needed and fled.
    Feeling a touch sniffly, I blame DHL. Maybe it's his revenge for me outing him as a vampire.
    Might go and potter in the garage. Bike the lad fished out of the river might have to go back in there, can't get the bottom bracket out. Needs a very strange tool and the hammer and punch technique failed. More likely it will be given to a passing scrap metal wagon.

Yep, I snuck in overnight and had a nibble.
  • thistle_

Bike the lad fished out of the river might have to go back in there, can't get the bottom bracket out. Needs a very strange tool and the hammer and punch technique failed

I could make you a plastic tool for it, but if Tethys was the previous owner then steel might struggle to get it free.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    Coughs and sneezes spread diseases, as do vampires. Good luck with the isolations. Strange days.

Another good road ride today, happy that got in rides Sat, Sun and today. Even a glimmer of sunshine at times. Saddle creak all the way though, annoying as; just the bolt had slackened off somehow, way down on torque setting when I checked it at home. Why? Who knows.

Now feet up and stage 3 on the catch up, 100km to go. No spoilers perlease. Unlike noddyboy yesterday.

Just got a call that new gravel bike is in and ready. Whoop. Collect tomorrow hopefully.
  • oxoman said:

Cheers. Testing done so just wait for the results. Im not the most popular in the house at the moment.

For the benefit of bracketeers I can assure you I haven't drunk oxo's blood.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

oxoman said:

Cheers. Testing done so just wait for the results. Im not the most popular in the house at the moment.

For the benefit of bracketeers I can assure you I haven't drunk oxo's blood.
    Should be nice and meaty though, best not try it until he gets the all clear. Good luck with test results Oxo, if you enjoy the peace and quiet tell the family it's positive whatever the outcome.
    Got the other cup out of river bike, weirdest set up I've ever seen. Lock ring on both sides, NDS only has a thread for the lock ring. Thread stops and the rest of the cup is fixed, so why have a lock ring? Shone a torch in from the other side and no thread visible. Got the drive side off and no balls in there at all. Do I bother fixing it? If it's still outside the garage tomorrow I might have a go.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    edited August 2020
    oxoman said:

Currently hoping it's not covid.

Get on the fritters, pancakes, waffles, biscuits and toast diet - 'cos they fit under the door.

Joking aside, Shorty got the sniffles and passed it on to me and it hit me full whack so got tested. Negative. Now many have got this cold going almost. 5 months of isolation and everybody's vulnerable to the normal bug merry go round. Ironic really. Good luck.

Soak that thing in diesel overnight VN.

I have some cup spanners that might be different to your cup spanners. I had one that had an arc that fitted most cups but as I never used it, I turned it onto a cassette chain whip.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Oxo, just add a letter 'p' to the start of your username if you test positive. Job done.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Curry house was surreal. Waiters bothering with wearing masks over mouths only then pulling them down to talk to you. No longer selling alcohol, bring your own but did me some gin and tonics. Place was packed and looked they had squeezed in extra tables.
    Glad I live in cv19 free zone.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Cheers Stevo, just put the bejesus up the neighbours by telling them. One side only just returned from holiday and we had all their deliveries. The old couple adjoined to us,
    bless-em have said they will get any shopping if we need them to. Roll on the results.

Let us know the result Oxo, then we can buy the pitchforks and burning torches.