Pocketgate Remco

david37
david37 Posts: 1,313
The controversy begins what was taken from his pocket, will the tdf doping authorities find out? Will anyone forget what it was? Will we ever know?

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,610
    The Clinic is -----> way
  • david37
    See no evil hear no evil :)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What would you keep in a pocket that could help and you could administer without anyone noticing ?

I'm.filing this with the electric bike theories.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Not this bullsh1t, please
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    fenix said:

What would you keep in a pocket that could help and you could administer without anyone noticing ?

I posted the vid in one of the spoiler threads when it actually happened.

Apparently we are to believe he would take whatever it is out of his back pocket and take it, while riding along with cameras around him, as he was riding to the finish.

I saw some speculation it was a "finishing bottle" or something perhaps.

I prefer the more logical explanation that he was taking stuff out of Remcos pocket in case he needed to be put on a stretcher and in case of back injuries.
  • Mini pump and fairy repair kit. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Lefevere tweeted about this the other day... can't be arsed searching for tweet
  • david37
    I agree its kit quite the smoking gun or jiffy bag is it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited August 2020
    The UCI president has been under fire for terrible safety in races and he has no intention of addressing it - he's too busy sucking up to dictators. So to deflect attention he amplifies a half baked conspiracy from a twitter troll. As a bonus the team which has suffered the most from the lack of safety is the centre of it.

This is how bad politicians operate. Trump and Johnson do it all the time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • UCI president David Lappartient confirmed the investigation on Friday and questioned a statement Bramati gave shortly after the crash, in which the Italian mentioned knowing beforehand that Evenepoel had crashed as his "data had stopped."

"The directeur sportif said he thought Evenepoel had fallen as no more data was being sent," said Lappartient. "What data are we talking about then? After all, it is forbidden to send certain data. So, we are also looking at that point. If it is only about geographical position then it's something else, but sharing other data is not allowed."

UCI regulations allow the use of onboard technology but prohibit the transmission of data to third parties unless UCI approval is given, as per Velon or other data collection devices.

Meh.
    Not even jiffy bag conspiracy theory level.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The poor bastard could have died coming off that bridge and Lappartient is talking about something being taken out of his pocket before being poured onto stretcher. 4FS
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Glad the forum is treating this with the respect it deserves...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

fenix said:

I posted the vid in one of the spoiler threads when it actually happened.

Apparently we are to believe he would take whatever it is out of his back pocket and take it, while riding along with cameras around him, as he was riding to the finish.

I saw some speculation it was a "finishing bottle" or something perhaps.

I prefer the more logical explanation that he was taking stuff out of Remcos pocket in case he needed to be put on a stretcher and in case of back injuries.
    He drank out of a white carton a few km before, then put the carton in his pocket. The chances are it was a finishing bottle and he was asked by paramedics to empty his pockets.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • david37
    ah well if its a finishing bottle the tramadol will have come in handy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    edited August 2020
    david37 said:

The controversy begins what was taken from his pocket, will the tdf doping authorities find out? Will anyone forget what it was? Will we ever know?

What are the tdf doping authorities and why would they be involved as he isn't at the TdF?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    What are the magical contents of this finishing bottle - and more importantly, where can I get some?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Plus how the hell do they get through doping control having taken something during the race? It's just another conspiracy theory for the batshit brigade to obsess over. If there was anything dodgy in the pocket then the more likely scenario is it would be tech related but the most obvious answer is they cleared his pockets so nothing would dig into his back on the stretcher. The first aid courses I've done have always said to check back pockets before treating a casualty.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    A mobile phone for selfies, obviously.
    If you don't take selfies then you're not really doing it. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross said:

Plus how the hell do they get through doping control having taken something during the race? It's just another conspiracy theory for the batshit brigade to obsess over. If there was anything dodgy in the pocket then the more likely scenario is it would be tech related but the most obvious answer is they cleared his pockets so nothing would dig into his back on the stretcher. The first aid courses I've done have always said to check back pockets before treating a casualty.

It's the way the guy looks shifty when taking it out I think. It doesn't look like he is systematically taking stuff out to get him on a stretcher. But that still seems the most likely to me.

Re: what's in a finishing bottle and doping control - it wouldn't have anything banned, obviously, just possibly a bit grey. Apparently tramadol and caffeine is fairly normal but other medications can be included. Obviously there's been some stuff about tramadol recently. Finishing bottles are pretty normal (seems pretty normal to me to want a bottle with caffeine at the end of a stage). If it had a load of tramadol in it you could maybe see why they would want to take it out, even if it's technically allowed it isn't a great look.
  • More on both tramadol and finishing bottles via Inrng: https://inrng.com/2014/04/tramadol/
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020

More on both tramadol and finishing bottles via Inrng: https://inrng.com/2014/04/tramadol/

2014. Bang up to date.
  • I was prescribed tramadol after my hand reconstruction surgery. Great painkiller but lethal in the long run. I think any rider taking tramadol is seriously off their rocker.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020

It's the way the guy looks shifty when taking it out I think. It doesn't look like he is systematically taking stuff out to get him on a stretcher. But that still seems the most likely to me.

It's a six second clip. Any cropped clip can be made to look suspicious to those who want suspicion. My guess is the long unedited cut shows him hanging around doing nothing until told to by the paramedic.

A finishing bottle is a high carb content with maybe a bit of caffeine.
  • RichN95. said:

More on both tramadol and finishing bottles via Inrng: https://inrng.com/2014/04/tramadol/

2014. Bang up to date.
    Much changed as to what (allegedly) goes into them?
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020

RichN95. said:

2014. Bang up to date.
    Much changed as to what (allegedly) goes into them?

Well tramadol is banned for a start and very out of favour anyway. It's just an energy drink, like one of those mini Red Bull drinks.
  • FAir enough. Explains the jokes about tramadol though...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited September 2020
    Lefevre has denied any and all Tramadol use in his team.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • david37
    Pross said:

The first aid courses I've done have always said to check back pockets before treating a casualty.

Well you need to get a drink out of it at least.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    hope this is a one off. Dont want the UCI to start searching twiiter for crazy theories and opening investigations.

• RichN95.
    edited September 2020
    sherer said:

hope this is a one off. Dont want the UCI to start searching twiiter for crazy theories and opening investigations.

No, we wouldn't want an investigation into why the UCI awarded next year's track Worlds to a dictatorship that rivals North Korea that has never previously sent a rider to the Worlds and where Lappartient's main backer Igor Makarov (a native of the country) has substantial business interests. Or why the UCI awarded said dictator the UCI's highest honour* 'not awarded to anyone since 2007'. But that's not on twitter, it's not sportswashing like a Land Rover knock off.

*The two previous President's don't know what this honour is.