Pump

Hey, I'm after pump recommendations please.
Ideally want floor pump power in a mini pump, frame mount, able to seat tubeless tires and/or c02 cartridge compatible, not sure if bothered about a gauge. Both Schroeder and presta . Mainly for my 700cx35 tubeless gravel bike but also for the kids mountain bikes too. I'm learning more towards high volume then pressure, though mine go up to 70psi and I may drop down to 28mm tires next summer.
I do have access to an industrial air compressor at a relative's house but after a portable pump for when out and about as well as around my house. Weight not too much of concern as my bike has rack/guards etc so not exactly racing and looking to do more indoor training too...
So any recommendations?
Thanks Andy

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    My suggestion is to forget about “floor pump power in a mini pump”.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    Track pump at home to get up to pressure.
    Hand pump to get you home.

I'd recommend one with a hose connection, not direct mount.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited August 2020
    You can't go wrong with a Zefal hpx. They come in four sizes. No problem mounting them to a carbon fibre frame with sloping crossbar. Attach a zip tie around the headtube and cut off the excess, therefore forming a pump peg.
    [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49842422147_2dc81871de_m.jpg[/img]
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You can't change the laws of physics.

Decent track pump is worth its weight in gold. Get a Joe Blow or similar. Having the correct pressure before you ride sorts out most problems.

Take a mini pump or co2 on the road and hopefully you won't need it.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    My main concern as running tubeless, is if the tyre unseats itself whilst I'm out. The 35mm G ones on Hunt rims, from memory, aren't that tight albeit needed the compressor to seat them.
    I carry tubeless repair kit Inc small bottle of sealent, so I can replace on the go which would help to reseal/resit the tyre if needed.
    I'm also not sure whether I'm best off with high volume pump, although current tires take up.to 70psi iirc whereas some MTB pumps only rated to 35psi. I'm also contemplating going to 28mm tires which go up to 100psi.
    I think.hose be easier although again be worried about the valve cores coming lose (I do carry spare valves and core removal tool)
    I'm not sure whether Dual function HV & hp pumps are any good?
    Also tempted with c02 as well as hand pump or combined c02/manual pump as the c02 cartridge maybe sufficient to reseat tubeless tires?
    Finally need dual head as can be out with family with their bikes having both fitting tyres.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Wouldn't putting a tube in be the easier solution ?
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    fenix said:

Wouldn't putting a tube in be the easier solution ?

Not really... TBF I've only had 2 issues within the last couple of years since moving over to tubeless. The first I ran over half a metal can of spam which put about 1 inch rip in the tyre, even with a tube would've still being an issue.
    The second one a learning curve wouldn't seal and my pump wasn't up to the task and had to borrow a members pump,.... For me I've had far less issues since going tubeless then I had running tubes. It may be different with less volume ie if I did go to 28mm and higher pressure but esp over winter with 35mm@ max 70psi I've not had any issues and half think nothing wrong with what I have (found a cheap Halfords mini pump) the only issue with it is a faff to change the fitting and the slight worry if tyre unseats which hasn't happened yet.
    I wouldn't want to carry a big tube to fit 35mn tyre or try and fit one road side.