Shimano XT M8000 brakes

I have a set of these fitted to my Scott Scale710 and when they work properly they are great, however they have proved quite troublesome with regard to lever movement, bleeding, variable performance etc - all well known and well documented problems with these brakes.
The rear brake lever has just thrown another hissy fit, and this will be its last. My question is, have Shimano resolved these issues with the latest M8120s (or the M8100s)? Or should I just throw on a set of SRAM Guides?
TIA
Stu

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Sram Guides are ace! I have had two sets on two different bikes and I never had a moment's bother with either of them. I had the Guide RS on both as standard equipment.

Who would have thought that when they were first launched, as they were universally derided as merely re-badged Avids.

My current bike is 18 months old and came with Shimano BR M520. I have had one replacement rear caliper (pistons cracked), one front caliper that has sticking pistons on one side, seemingly as a recurring feature. Both front and rear need to be bled at regular intervals, about 5-6 months. I have never had problems with Shimano brakes before these.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Contrary to Steve's experience I have been running XT M8000 brakes on my Trance for 4 years without a single problem. They get bled once a year and that's it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • avalanche_expert
    avalanche_expert Posts: 177
    edited August 2020
    I’ve been running the XT M8000 that came on my GT Zaskar for almost three years. All I’ve done is replace brake pads.

They are the most consistent and best feeling brakes I’ve ever had.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

I’ve been running the XT M8000 that came on my GT Zaskar for almost three years. All I’ve done is replace brake pads.

They are the most consistent and best feeling brakes I’ve ever had.

Likewise
    left the forum March 2023
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I recognise all your good experience with XT brakes, it is what I used to have. But I don't have Shimano XT right now, I have Shimano BR M520. They are decent looking 4-pot brakes running on 200mm discs and they have good modulation and stopping power. Just not flawless fit-and-forget performance like the old XT's used to give. The Shimnao BR M520 are just good enough not to be outed and sold.

I had similarly excellent performance and maintenance free results with Sram Guide RS.