Camera footage appears really slow

Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to put this so stuck it here in general.

A few weeks back I bought an Akaso V50X action cam from Amazon with various mounts etc.

The problem is that the footage its capturing appears to be really slow when played back. It appears that Im travelling far slower than it felt in real life. I don't see the same effect when Im watching other people's videos.

I don't think its a settings problem though. Im running it on its maximum FOV setting at 1080p 60fps. When played back the sound is normal, so its not actually playing at a slower rate, it just looks like my riding speed is far slower than it actually was in practice.

Ive tried it with and without image stabilisation active and its still the same.

Anyone help?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Much the same as when I saw footage of a car track day I'd assume your perception is meeting reality. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • So you're saying Im actually travelling slow?

I don't think that is the case as Ive been able to cross check against Strava on some sections where Im travelling at over 30mph yet the video looks nowhere near that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    edited August 2020
    I've not seen the video so can't comment with 100% accuracy.
    How 30mph feels and how 30mph looks are two different things. IMO.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Sure so how do I get the video to resemble how it actually looks in real life? That seems to be how everyone else's mountain bike videos seem to look?
  • Here is a segment of one of my recent videos. It looks really slow.

https://youtu.be/S0MZ0Sm0d74

The other issue is that is meant to be 170 degree FOV but there is not a chance in hell it is - can barely see the ends of the handlebars.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    Can't see your problem, looks ok to me.
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    edited August 2020
    It actually looks a bit faster when its viewed in a smaller screen oddly. If its viewed full screen it looks slower.

Its def not 170 degree FOV though is it, camera is meant to be 170. It looks like its zoomed in to the trail when its not. Can barely see the surroundings.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    That looks like normal riders to me. When I see people like Danny Hart I always thought it was speeded up! But yes they really do go that fast. They are insane and so skilful that they can do those insane speeds. This is why they are world champions and the rest of us are just bimbling along, despite feeling like we are going at warp speed.

In the same way that your camera never captures how steep a slope really was, video never seems to capture how fast and smooth you really were! :'(
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    edited August 2020
    Its probably partly that and partly the FOV I think. Ive just watched some other videos with much wider FOV and they are loads better. Not only the sense of speed but also what you can see of the surroundings.

For example this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC1fiZwKp0c

Amazon are letting me return it for a refund. Problem is a go pro is 2-3x more expensive.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you talk on camera you'd be able to tell if it was slowed down or not. I don't think it is.

And yes. You have to pay to get a decent camera I'm afraid.
  • Looks ok to me too,is camera on your helmet or your chest.
    I find videos on helmets seem faster and also if you angle it up a bit so it takes in the scenery rather than pointing towards the track it may seem faster.
    I used a go pro in Austria steapped to the handlebars taking in only the track and it was ridiculous slow.
    I've also done a track day in a 320bhp car and the video looked so slow.
  • It looks fine to move but I have also found the cheaper cameras have issues like this, we purchased from Thailand cheap model last year and works fine but sometimes on playback it goes slightly faster.
    So Far!