Buying new 29" forks with a 1-1/18 straight steerer

meth_tical
meth_tical Posts: 67
edited July 2020 in MTB buying advice
Hi, purchased a Trek Marlin 5 29" purely out of desperation. Nothing else in stock close to my price range/size.
Im currently sitting at 17 stone and I think i need some forks that will hold up to the abuse and feel solid. What are the best options out there?

Had a look myself and I cant seem to find anything that isnt tapered.
current forks are SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, 100mm QR, 100mm travel.

Thanks

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I reckon you'd struggle to find any new bouncy forks with a straight steerer. It's hard to find any NOS for a 26, and since headset standards had changed by the time 29s took hold the must be a rarity.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2020
    Not many decent forks available with standard quick release and straight steerer tubes but Manitou Markhor air sprung forks will fit your bike and is decent but 3 weeks for new stock to arrive:-

https://www.bike24.com/p2251351.html

Another option could be to change your bottom headset assembly for an external cup version which will allow you to fit a tapered steerer in your straight headtube providing it has a standard 44mm internal diameter.

90% sure it will be 44mm but it is not stated on any spec I looked up so the only way to be definite would be to contact Trek and confirm, someone answers that knows for sure or measure it yourself if you wish to go down that route.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    There are still a few qr 29er forks available with straight steerer.
    Rockshox 30, Judy and Recon, SR Suntour XCM and XCT and Fox 32 Performance all fit the bill.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited July 2020

90% sure it will be 44mm but it is not stated on any spec I looked up

I've got a nasty feeling the Marlin uses a horrible integrated (cheapest possible) headset which rules out using an external cup.

If it has a 44mm headtube a close up photo of the bottom of the headtube will show the lip of the semi integrated cup. Lip can be seen on the RSP one below.

This link does say semi-integrated though...
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/marlin/marlin-5/p/23134/

Given the spec of a Marlin 5 I'd look for a decent used fork anyway, it would be silly spending a fortune on a fork for a bike with a 7 speed freewheel.

These would be perfect as long as the steerer is long enough.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rockshox-reba-29er-Forks-100mm-Travel/233664650628?hash=item36677f9d84:g:U40AAOSw-9lfIbxr

Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2020
    Definitely semi integrated just no details on width to be 100% positive about the true internal head tube diameter measurement unfortunately.

Cane Creek's website does usually provide this information on their 'headset fit finder' except the site didn't seem to be working when I checked.

https://canecreek.com/FAQ/type-headset-will-fit-bike/

• meth_tical
    meth_tical Posts: 67
    Appreciate all the advice. I know the parts of the Trek aren't great, so i will just try and make it better when i can. Forks are really the main thing im concerned about, the rest of it does the job for now.
    If the external cup does fit (great bit of advice) then it does open me up to more options. Second hand would be my preferred option but without previously knowing which ones were non tapered i was coming up against a brick wall.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tapered is easily visible in a photo of the steerer.

If the headset is a ZS44 it's all but certain you can fit tapered forks using an EC44 lower headset.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Try the Suntour Epixon 29 they still come with straight steer and not a bad air fork.
  • I ended up with a Suntour XCR32 air fork. Straight steerer so I didn't need to get a new headset and it was my cheapest option all round. c£45.
    Straight swap over for everything and will give it a ride out this weekend to make sure the set up is fine.
  • reaperactual
    edited August 2020
    I'm sure there will be a noticeable improvement over the original coil forks and stiffer too. An easy, worthwhile upgrade and a good price, I assume £145? Enjoy your plush new ride Pal! 😎👍
  • I'm sure there will be a noticeable improvement over the original coil forks and stiffer too. An easy, worthwhile upgrade and a good price, I assume £145? Enjoy your plush new ride Pal! 😎👍

Cheers, no it was £45 in total. Im hopeful I can sell my coil forks and recoup most of that back as well.
    Might treat myself then to some smaller upgrades/finishing touches.
  • reaperactual
    Wow! Bargain. With a bit of buying and selling it won't cost much for some colour coded bling to add to the looks, bar grips, pedals, valve caps etc.

You probably already have a 180mm fitted on the front so maybe a 180mm rotor on the rear too?

Maybe tyres to suit where or how you ride better would also add to control or maybe a more chunky tread winter set? Lots of options and enjoy upgrading!😎
  • I ended up with a Suntour XCR32 air fork. Straight steerer so I didn't need to get a new headset and it was my cheapest option all round. c£45.
    Straight swap over for everything and will give it a ride out this weekend to make sure the set up is fine.

Is that new?
    I'm looking for a fork upgrade from my XCM's.
    Looking between RS Judy or Suntour Epixon.
  • They were bought used but appear to be in really good condition.

180 rotors up front so could go 180 at the back, would it be a noticeable upgrade with the Tektro HD brakes?
  • reaperactual
    edited August 2020
    Not really noticeable in terms of stopping power more for extra rear end control on a descent with improved ability to lock up and skid the back end when or if needed.