MTB Beginner,

Got into cycling a few months back, enjoyed it so bought a new 2020 giant anthem 2 29er. I bought online. Maybe if i had went to bike shop i think i may have chosen another but it is a good bike and has handled well on the trails but my gripes are....

1. Bough medium frame and still had to cut significant amount off saddle post. Where does this leave me in buying a dropper and whats best 27.2 dropper to get?
2. Handlebars are also very wide, i wonder if i should cut some off each side, i think could do that ok
3. My toes willl frequently make contact with front tyre when turning. I always need to make sure my feet are well back and my sole is NOT centred to the pedal. I put this down to thw 29 inch wheels and obviously nothing can be done about this
4. Want to add a giant direct mount RSA kick stand but the anthem bike not compatible, should i drill two holes in frame to allow for the mount, its not goimg to weaken frame is it?

All in all the bike is a nice ride and over time i will prob get used to it as ive only had it a month.

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited August 2020
    Have a look at this article about droppers. There isn't as much choice in 27.2 diameter versions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/singletrackworld.com/2019/04/27-2-dropper-post-8-upgrades-for-your-mountain-bike/?amp

A OneUp dropper has shortest overall length and travel can be adjusted, good for restricted insertion depths and/or shorter riders but don't think they make a 27.2 diameter version?

Give it a little more time to get used to wider handlebars but you can cut some off. Suggest trying to borrow some narrower ones if you can and see how they feel before cutting current ones down.

Think about pedals with straps, toe guards or even clipped in which will keep your feet in the same position and avoid contact with your front tyre.

Do not drill holes in the frame it will weaken the frame and it could crack and will void any warranty. Forget a bike stand, they're not necessary, lean it up against a wall or fence etc. like most riders do.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    What width are they?

Before you cut down the bars for being too wide, just mover the grips and levers inwards by the amount you are thinking of cutting off. Try that for a while. Once they are cut, the only way back is to buy new bars.

Reducing bar width will have the following impacts.

# Shorter bars will give you less leverage to resist the turning effects of those rocks upon your front wheel. In other words your steering control will deteriorate. I have never forgotten the first time I fitted a wider bar, the bike just flowed round the rocky corners, whereas before it had been a bit of a struggle. I would not like to go back to a shorter bar.

# Your body and hence your centre of gravity will move backwards. This will make climbing a bit harder, but good technique can overcome that.

# The bars will feel further away, that may be something you like, or not.

Ref having to shorten the seat post. When you have the saddle in what you consider the best position for you, put your heel on the pedal and with the pedal at its lowest position. Your leg should be almost straight, but not quite, only you should be able to tell. If your leg is not straight, or even with a proper bend in it, then your saddle is too low. The idea of using the heel is that when you then put the foot on the pedal in the pedalling position, the extra length allows you to pedal strongly and in comfort, without your hips rocking. As oxoman said, you don't want to be able to put your feel flat on the floor.

Here is a good video from GMBN Tech on bike set up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq3Ln_Zc1VY

If you are really new to mtb, then maybe you have not had a full suspension bike before. So you need to pay attention to suspension set up. Doing that properly can transform your ride!

I would start another tread on suspension set up, but here is one of the best guides I have come across. There is a lot there but it will take you from the absolute basics to being a proper know it all!

https://bikerumor.com/2014/10/30/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download/
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited August 2020
    ajc.5655 said:

1. Bough medium frame and still had to cut significant amount off saddle post. Where does this leave me in buying a dropper and whats best 27.2 dropper to get?
    2. Handlebars are also very wide, i wonder if i should cut some off each side, i think could do that ok
    3. My toes willl frequently make contact with front tyre when turning. I always need to make sure my feet are well back and my sole is NOT centred to the pedal. I put this down to thw 29 inch wheels and obviously nothing can be done about this
    4. Want to add a giant direct mount RSA kick stand but the anthem bike not compatible, should i drill two holes in frame to allow for the mount, its not goimg to weaken frame is it?

1. As mentioned in the above posts, set the bike up correctly. There are numerous videos on YouTube that will guide you through the process. GMBN is a good source of such guidance. The 'leg straight when heel is on the pedal' method works for me.
    2. The modern trend is for wider bars but there is nothing stopping you cutting them down to your desired length. 780 - 800mm is common now but I am most comfortable using 760mm. If you cut the bars down take great care to cut straight!
    3. The soles of your feet should not be centred on the pedals. You should ride with the ball of your foot in line with or slightly forward of the pedal axle.
    4. DO NOT drill your frame! Why do you want a stand anyway? Ugly things that will be a hazard when riding off road.

The Anthem is a great bike (apart from the stupid 27.2mm seat post). Take your time getting it set up properly, learn the basic skills and techniques for off-road riding and enjoy it. :)

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    Brand X do a 27.2mm dia dropper post.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-ascend-ii-dropper-seatpost-105125150

I fitted a Brand X dropper to my grandson's bike and I was impressed with its quality. Reviews I have seen report few problems. I would have no problems replacing any dropper of mine wit a brand x, see how much you save.
  • ajc.5655
    ajc.5655 Posts: 10
    Great advice, much appreciated.

Still unsure on dropper as with 27.2mm you are limited.

Does anyone know if my bike will accept internally routed cable for dropper.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/anthem-29-2
  • steve_sordy
    ajc.5655 said:

I don't understand your uncertainty. Your bike has a 27.2mm seat tube, if you want a dropper then you have no choice but to use a 27.2mm dropper.

If by limited, you mean the travel being less than other droppers that fit larger seat tube diameters, then that is a function of the tube diameter. You have bought an XC bike, not an aggressive Trail bike, and not an Enduro bike. Those bikes are meant for going into rougher places than an XC bike and have burlier frames and components to deal with that. Your chosen bike has rear travel of 90mm, front travel 100mm. It seems to me that 105mm from the brand -X that fits your bike is more than enough.

By the way, if you have had to reduce the length of your seat post to get a fit you like, you probably will find the dropper too tall for you - and you will not be able to reduce its height by sawing anything off.

If you refer to the link I sent you in a previous post, page right a few times on the picture and you will get to a dimensioned drawing. This will allow you to work out whether the dropper will fit your bike and give you the saddle height you are looking for.
  • reaperactual
    edited August 2020
    ajc.5655 said:

Don't know first hand if your Giant can fit an internally routed or 'stealth' dropper post or not. Looking at the spec on your link and others the fact that it doesn't say 'internal dropper post routing' suggests it is not?

Either way and as mentioned you are restricted to a 27.2mm diameter post but the Brand X droppers do have both internal/external options for that diameter.

Chain Reaction Cycles listings do give all dimensions (scroll through images) you will need to be sure it will fit your seat tube insertion depth and your height/inside leg measurement.

You can get these measurements from your current rigid seat post in its normal position and compare both to make sure you make the right choice of travel and confirm it will fit into the bikes seat tube.
  • JBA
    The Anthem can take an internally routed dropper.
    The Brand-X Ascend CX is a good choice but you'll have to get a different lever as the included one is designed to sit next to the stem on drop bars and is 31.8mm diameter.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • ajc.5655
    ajc.5655 Posts: 10
    Was juat about to order the brand x dropper from chain reaction. What remote is going to be suitable as would like it just beside my left handlebar and internally routed of course
  • JBA
    edited August 2020
    Look on line and get one that suits your budget.
    If it’s any help I use a https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/switch-dropper-seatpost-lever---cable-sets Giant lever with the Brand-X dropper on my hardtail.

• I brought my bike and brand x dropper to my bike mechanic. He said the bike doesnt look like it can tske an internal dropper. He did tell me to contact giant in case hes missing something but he showed me a vitus in his garage that has internal dropper and theres holes on the underside of frame which mine doesnt have.

• reaperactual
    edited September 2020

ajc.5655 said:

Don't know first hand if your Giant can fit an internally routed or 'stealth' dropper post or not. Looking at the spec on your link and others the fact that it doesn't say 'internal dropper post routing' suggests it is not?

Either way and as mentioned you are restricted to a 27.2mm diameter post but the Brand X droppers do have both internal/external options for that diameter.
    If it turns out that your Giant isn't compatible with internally routed dropper posts you can return to C.R.C. in it's original condition and packaging for free and get an externally routed dropper in exchange.

• Giant were quick to respond, heres the reply.

Yes the bike can accept an internally routed dropper post. To do this the BB needs to come out to route the cable. A new cable entry frame plug will be needed to accept the cable too. We would advise a Giant retailer carries out this kind of work

So does that mean i need to do drill frame and install rubber grommit
  • JBA
    edited September 2020
    No. DO NOT drill your frame!

The dropper cable will route around the underside of the bottom bracket then up the down tube, exiting via one of the existing frame ports behind the head tube. The rubber grommit is already in it but may be a blank rather than one with a hole in it.
    If your bike mechanic can't work that out then maybe you need to find a different mechanic.

• Giant say a new cable entry frame plug is needed, so if im not drilling a new hole then why do i need a new plug. There is a port on eaxh side with a cable already coming out of each
  • ajc.5655 said:

Giant say a new cable entry frame plug is needed, so if im not drilling a new hole then why do i need a new plug. There is a port on eaxh side with a cable already coming out of each

Is it not easier to just bring to Giant dealer sounds like something they would have no problem doing and I presume not affect warranty.
    So Far!
  • I would if there was one near me. Havent got a giant dealer here in Ireland. There are a few shops that stock giant bikes but i wouldn't class that as a main dealer.

Ive never had an issue with current bike mechanic. He maybe hasnt seen a dropper installed before by removing bottom bracket
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    JBA said:

No. DO NOT drill your frame!

The dropper cable will route around the underside of the bottom bracket then up the down tube, exiting via one of the existing frame ports behind the head tube. The rubber grommit is already in it but may be a blank rather than one with a hole in it.
    If your bike mechanic can't work that out then maybe you need to find a different mechanic.

My bike had rubber ports fitted for internal dropper post. I removed my dropper and replaced with blank grommets that were included in my bikes accessory pack. Worth look to see if this could be included with your bike? If not surely you could order the relevant cable port grommet online.

Either way ajc.5655, place the drill on the ground and back away slowly! You remind me of my dentist! 😎👍
  • JBA
    ajc.5655 said:

Giant say a new cable entry frame plug is needed, so if im not drilling a new hole then why do i need a new plug. There is a port on eaxh side with a cable already coming out of each

The oblong plugs come in 3 varieties: blank, 1 hole and 2 holes. You need to replace one of the current plugs with a twin hole one.
    Giant part no. is 1472-PLUGIN-712. Cost about 99p.

• Yes ive just seen those plugs but surely you can drill a small hole in rubber grommit
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    ajc.5655 said:

Yes ive just seen those plugs but surely you can drill a small hole in rubber grommit

You are determined to drill a hole so do it already! 🤪 The rubber grommet would be the safest place and you would save 99 pence.💰👌
  • ajc.5655 said:

I would if there was one near me. Havent got a giant dealer here in Ireland. There are a few shops that stock giant bikes but i wouldn't class that as a main dealer.

Sorry I was not aware of that, with the information you have gained from site I am sure your mechanic should be able to resolve now.

So Far!