Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166

Thanks Ugo and PTP.
    BTW Ugo, I think you were the original builder of these wheels!!

Quality then... :)
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    I've got a 24 H Hope hub to build into a lightish wheel. I was thinking DT411, because it comes as asymmetric and the logos match my front DT 460, so it doesn't look too much of a botch. What's the consensus on the DT411 as a 24H? Stiff enough for 67 kg rider with decent power or should I look for something stiffer?

Also, I've heard it's quite tight, but it will be fitted with Vittoria Corsa G2 or Pirelli P Zero TT, both of which are quite loose fit
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I’m very close to getting Harry Rowland to build a pair for me. This thread has been very useful!
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Bitex RAR / RAF12 hubs onto Kinlin XR26RT OCR asymmetric rear with XR26T
    28h/24h Built with a mix of black Sapim Race and D-Light spokes and Chrome plated brass nipples
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    edited August 2020
    I need to replace a rim on a Hunt 4 Season rear wheel.
    Disc specific, 26mm deep x 24mm wide (ext), asymmetrical 24 spokes, 2 cross, no eyelets.
    About one year old. Anyone able to identify the rim and know where I'd get one?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I've just taken delivery of the second pair of handbuilts I have from Rohan Dubash.

DT Swiss 411 rims front and rear (32 hole)
    DT Swiss 350 hubs
    DT Swiss comp. double butted spokesDT Swiss RWS skewers

For everyday use, touring and weekends away. Will try to add photos later.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ugo.santalucia
    proto said:

I need to replace a rim on a Hunt 4 Season rear wheel.
    Disc specific, 26mm deep x 24mm wide (ext), asymmetrical 24 spokes, 2 cross, no eyelets.
    About one year old. Anyone able to identify the rim and know where I'd get one?

Something from Kinlin... wouldn't be obsessed about it being asymmetric... doesn't make a lot of difference
  • Thecycleclinic says that won't see any aerodinamic advantage on rims until 30/31 mm depth.

Do you recommend any 45mm alloy rim for rim brakes that is not narrow and not an anchor in terms of weight?
  • No
  • Can anyone say if the pro-lite bracciano a42w wheelset rims are from any oem rim manufacturer and which model are them?

http://www.pro-lite.net/road-wheels/bracciano-a42w

I'm looking for an alloy rim around 40mm depth and inner width around 18/19mm (rim brake). It can also be a carbon rim with an aluminium brake track.

I like the profile of those rims, I wonder about the weight...

• Maybe Kinlin of some sort?
    Unless you need to rebuild them, it's best to avoid 40 mm alloy rims, they weigh a ton, typically between 550 and 600 grams. and the aerodynamic benefit is so minuscule that it's not worth carrying around them
  • There's the A-Force al33 rim which is an alloy rim with alleged aero properties. They aren't cheap though:

https://www.ryanbuildswheels.co.uk/a-force-al33/

Any deeper and I'm with Ugo, the weight penalty outweighs any aero benefits.

Otherwise I can't say I've seen alloy/carbon rims about, instead I'd look for second hand sets of Campag Bullet wheels or Dura Ace C50's.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    H Plus Son do some deep alu rims but they are massively heavy.

If you want deep (I.e. any deeper than those AForce ones) then the answer really is carbon.
  • mrb123
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/h-plus-son-sl42-road-rim

These are the ones I was referring to.
  • mrb123
    I'd suggest you just get some full carbon rims from Light Bicycle. The ones with the grooved graphene brake track if you're worried about braking performance.
  • mrb123 said:

Too narrow...
    mrb123 said:

I'd suggest you just get some full carbon rims from Light Bicycle. The ones with the grooved graphene brake track if you're worried about braking performance.

I don't trust carbon brake tracks (clincher)...

There's the A-Force al33 rim which is an alloy rim with alleged aero properties. They aren't cheap though:

https://www.ryanbuildswheels.co.uk/a-force-al33/

Any deeper and I'm with Ugo, the weight penalty outweighs any aero benefits.

Otherwise I can't say I've seen alloy/carbon rims about, instead I'd look for second hand sets of Campag Bullet wheels or Dura Ace C50's.

I will investigate it, but for that depth maybe i would stick with the Kinlin XR-31T or DT Swiss RR511...
  • Its OK to buy heavy deep rimmed Ally rims.

If you like the look, and are not too worried about the extra weight, just get them.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited September 2020
    pratoni said:

mrb123 said:

Too narrow...
    mrb123 said:

I don't trust carbon brake tracks (clincher)...

RR511...

Why not? Modern rims are fine and I'd only worry about being heavy and getting heat build up if I was speeding down the Alps. I'm >17stone and a fast descender and my carbon rims don't even get hot to the touch on any UK hills I've bombed down. I also have some semi aero Kinlin tubeless 28/24 wheels from Cycle Clinic which are brilliant wheels and very strong if you still don't fancy carbon.

• Do those rims on the BORG38T Carbon wheelset (1025g with Carbon-Ti hubs) have a name, something you can look up for a review? How would such a light wheel roll on the flat sections? Would they be safe?
  • michael7 said:

Do those rims on the BORG38T Carbon wheelset (1025g with Carbon-Ti hubs) have a name, something you can look up for a review? How would such a light wheel roll on the flat sections? Would they be safe?

They are carbon tubular rims, so the weight for the set is what you would expect. They are as safe as any other wheel, but they are for tubular tyres, not clinchers
  • michael7 said:

Do those rims on the BORG38T Carbon wheelset (1025g with Carbon-Ti hubs) have a name, something you can look up for a review? How would such a light wheel roll on the flat sections? Would they be safe?

They are carbon tubular rims, so the weight for the set is what you would expect. They are as safe as any other wheel, but they are for tubular tyres, not clinchers

Thank you. I only noticed these because they are narrow at 20.5mm and I am restricted to an actual tyre width of around 25mm.
  • michael7 said:

Thank you. I only noticed these because they are narrow at 20.5mm and I am restricted to an actual tyre width of around 25mm.

OK, but make sure you familiarise yourself with what riding tubulars implies... like for example how you fit a tubular tyre. In my books, they are race day tyres, not club ride or sportive tyres
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Im sure some of you will think this is odd but ive just sold a set of carbon clinchers that came on my bike as they gave the bike a harsh ride. I am currently running around on some £100 Shimano wheels and the ride is surprisingly good albeit not very responsive. Ive got £500 to play with and was going to get some hand built based on DA9000 hubs and Pacenti Forza rims (32/28). I am 15 stone on a good day and still wonder if its worth the bother of going this route or just get some Fulcrum Racing 3s. Also been looking a the Fulcrum Racing Zeros which are over budget but I could stretch it if need be but I am not sure I want to. What are your thoughts on the proposed build?
  • Sounds good and certainly more durable than the Fulcrum, at your weight.

Harsh ride is often a function of spoke choice... go for something double butted... maybe Laser front and D-Light rear.
    And of course get some decent tyres on
  • bmxboy10
    Any thoughts on Via hubs?
  • bmxboy10 said:

Any thoughts on Via hubs?

Never actually dismantled one... they seem OK. Most hubs are OK if you take the time to service them regularly. If you are not too bothered about weight, then Hope with a rear steel freehub are probably the closest thing to "bulletproof" out there. I have an RS4 rear that is still running on the original bearings after over 20,000 miles (I do service them though)
  • bmxboy10
    Ugo I trust your advice. I am now thinking about getting the DT 460 rims instead of the Forzas to save a few quid plus do the Forzas have issues like the SL23s i.e. narrow brake track, rim failure around the spoke holes etc?
  • I think the DT 460 are very good rims for the money, but I would not advise the disc ones... they are lighter and lose a lot of tension when you install the tubeless tyre. If you are on disc/tubeless, then go for the Forza. If you are on rim brakes, then DT 460 are ace