Sunday, madness echoes through the corridors of my mind.

Bacon roll and espresso in sungod's lounge.

Too early. Smooth progress though.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Ning
    Enjoy the hols.
    Weather forecast has improved, might go out for a quick hike.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Crete seems to be forecast to be skorchiopitou for the foreseeable.

The kids are enjoying obtaining multiple pastries via the qr code ordering system. I am slightly tempted to recreate the authentic 5.30 a.m. airport 'spoons experience by getting stuck into the fizz.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    'ning

ride in the heat, cafes in the heat, bask in the heat

though unless the wind drops, won't be a long ride

go on, order bubbly, though i think it's actually english sparkling in the club lounge now
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopkinb
    edited August 2020
    It was English, so I had half a glass. Better than prosecco, probably better than cr@p champagne too.

Boarded, disinfected, noise cancellers on. See you at the other end.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Let us know if you survived flying Hoppy.
    It's very dangerous that flying business.

I might upgrade to first/business class so I have a bit more room and maybe i'll be a bit more relaxed. I'll also buy 4 parachutes. If there's the slightest hint of any of that turbulence, we're out of there.

Back to lovely terra firma except it's all a bit soggy.
    Poor rugrats. Maybe i'll just get them in waterproofs and sod of into the sticks regardless. I'll try and dress it up as 'adventure'.
    Crepe later.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    gave up on ride as was on the verge of taking off and flying past hoppy

had a choc cake at the cafe to compensate

as in ecclesiastes, there is a time to bask, this is it
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Enjoy holiday, mine unfortunately finishes today. Bright side bought an estate car - the joys
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning from the woods, I say woods I'm just outside them but it's still nice.

Pedal home then do something. Not sure exactly what yet

My view currently

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Another slow start as planned. Will do a few jobs while the girls are walking the hounds out in the sticks. Followed by some rearrangement of the garage contents. The excitement.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    step83 said:

My view currently

Nice. UK roads do need some maintenance work done.

Just fueling and prepping before hitting some flint and gravel Ridgeway action. Still breezy, blue patches and big clouds. Do I need the rain jacket...?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Afternoon folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, now debating which of the jobs in capable of I should actually do. Probably none of them as I don't want to rush into anything.
    Have a good holiday Hoppy, we went to Crete on our honeymoon a very very long time ago.
  • hopkinb
    Flight got flown. It's the crashing that's dangerous, not the flying. Drive got driven.

Being checked in while I look at the view and they park my car and take my bags to the room. I could get used to this.

I think there's a drink on the way too. Yassou!

• pinno
    step83 said:

My view currently

Is your camera distorting the image or have you got a funny brake lever set up?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Looks rather fine H3@hopkinb

More wet and dreary here. Boat ride this arvo was cancelled as a result, big swells, heavy rain out there. Means I'll miss out as can't reschedule to a date I am available again. Humph.

Did a bunch of saddle testing on turbo. Disassembled a wheel I was building as it had gone somewhat pear-shaped. Started a different set instead.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    hopkinb said:

Flight got flown. It's the crashing that's dangerous, not the flying. Drive got driven.

Being checked in while I look at the view and they park my car and take my bags to the room. I could get used to this.

Nice view. Jealous? Me?

Ridgeway ridden. Getting back in tune with riding this rough and rutted stuff. Good fun today. Got assaulted by 1 horsefly (I won) and 3 drops of rain, so good call to go sleeveless top only.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

Did you manage to lose the wife and kids on the way? :)

Looks nice, where abouts in Crete?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I quite liked Step's view, Hoppy's is better
  • thistle_
    I guess @tlw1 heard I was coming and put some signs out:

• hopkinb
    I'm a few km outside Elounda. North East side of the island. About an hour from Heraklion airport.

I've never stayed anywhere quite so posh. I keep expecting to have my collar felt for being somewhere I shouldn't be..

We both got promoted at work this year, so it's a bit (a lot) of a treat, hence going ahead rather than postponing. More's the pity that the promotions mean we can't properly switch off.

• Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

I'm a few km outside Elounda. North East side of the island. About an hour from Heraklion airport.

I've never stayed anywhere quite so posh. I keep expecting to have my collar felt for being somewhere I shouldn't be..

We both got promoted at work this year, so it's a bit (a lot) of a treat, hence going ahead rather than postponing. More's the pity that the promotions mean we can't properly switch off.

Got it. We stayed in a place called Kapsaliana, about 10k east of Rethymno and a few k inland last year. Really nice place, restored olive mill - proper middle of nowhere stuff, no evening 'entertainment', no bar (apart from a tiny one at the pool) - you just sat at a restaurant table and ordered drinks.
  • hopkinb
    edited August 2020
    There are these white glittering things in the sky. I think they are 'stars'.

Anyway, been up since 3.30 a.m. BST. I'm turning in.

The older I get, the more I appreciate the luxury of
    the Mediterranean evening warmth.

I remember reading somewhere that ancient Greek has no equivalents for our words for colours. So, the colour of the sunlit sky was the same word as for shining bronze, or a green sea, or even freshly spilled blood. I may misremember, or simplify, or be bullshitting, but still, for me, a perspective on how we as humans have perceived and described the same things over the course of millenia.

Will bore you all over the coming days.

• sungod
    edited August 2020
    ancient greeks are not at all boring

the reputed lack of words for our modern description of colours may spring from the works of homer, if there was such a person, who is sometimes, if he existed, said to have been. er, blind

in practice they may've had words, but a different theory of colour, light and vision to ours, this is one view...
    https://aeon.co/essays/can-we-hope-to-understand-how-the-greeks-saw-their-world

after a few millennia who knows what they meant, but someone made this...

the key thing is they had wine*, concentrate on that

* they didn't have tawny port though, nor bubbly, it's a greek tragedy
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831

I guess @tlw1 heard I was coming and put some signs out:

Nope, mine would have said stay away
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    pinno said:

step83 said:

My view currently

Is your camera distorting the image or have you got a funny brake lever set up?
    Just the camera I think it went into wide angle so it distorts things. They've been felling loads in the wood recently, it's a working wood so comes with the territory really. Some nice logs though. May have to enquire what happens to the good lumber, I know us locals get dibs on the smaller timber for firewood if anything a suitable. This is all pine or fir so not bothering to try an burn it.
    Wood for woodworking though...

• thistle_
    edited August 2020
    step83 said:

Just the camera I think it went into wide angle so it distorts things. They've been felling loads in the wood recently, it's a working wood so comes with the territory really. Some nice logs though. May have to enquire what happens to the good lumber, I know us locals get dibs on the smaller timber for firewood if anything a suitable. This is all pine or fir so not bothering to try an burn it.
    Wood for woodworking though...

A friend used to work for FC/NRW/Tilhill and said that if there's not a full truckload left to go back for then quite often it's not worth collecting so sometimes it just gets left.
    @haydenm would know...
  • hopkinb
    sungod said:

ancient greeks are not at all boring

the reputed lack of words for our modern description of colours may spring from the works of homer, if there was such a person, who is sometimes, if he existed, said to have been. er, blind

in practice they may've had words, but a different theory of colour, light and vision to ours, this is one view...
    https://aeon.co/essays/can-we-hope-to-understand-how-the-greeks-saw-their-world

after a few millennia who knows what they meant, but someone made this...

the key thing is they had wine*, concentrate on that

* they didn't have tawny port though, nor bubbly, it's a greek tragedy

That essay is my beach read this morning ahead of the various crosswords.

Many thanks!

I read a book by Pat Barker a week or two ago, telling the story of the Trojan War from the point of view of a Trojan princess taken by the Greeks and given to Achilles as a slave. I thought it rather good.
  • hopkinb
    oxoman said:

I'm assuming you mean silence of the girls, good read. Try regeneration that make an interesting read as well.

That's the one Oxo! I read it because I loved the Regeneration books.
  • pinno
    step83 said:

Pine is okay to burn if seasoned.