Visit Rwanda

Has anyone? Just watching PSG women beat Arsenal women and some of the perimeter advertising is Visit Rwanda.

For people of my age Rwanda is likely to conjure up some horrific images of the Tootsie and Hutu conflict but a quick google has made me wonder if Rwanda might not be such an unlikely holiday destination after all. Ive never been to Africa but maybe Kigali would make a change from Skegness next Summer.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Top Gear have been there havent they? There's usually a link to a new tourism campaign. Looked nice when they were there...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Any specific reason why Rwanada?

Africa’s a big place
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Note Visit Rwanda sponsor the men's first team as well, so the message will have been quite well spread. Therefore, covid 19 aside, it might be more popular than normal.

I haven't been to Rwanda, but did consider it a while ago. The main attraction is the gorillas, but it's expensive to see them. I think they have gone for the high cost low impact approach. Uganda might offer more economical gorillas if that is your thing.

Otherwise, I would say it will provide quite a contrast to Skegness and is entirely doable. I suspect the ease depends on how much organisation you outsource and your experience of travel in less developed parts of the world.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Rwanda at the height of the conflict would have been a significant step up from Skegness which I had the misfortune to have to visit regularly for work over the course of a year or so including a two week stay over my 40th birthday.

A lot of African countries have the potential to be fantastic holiday destinations if the get stable governance. Somalia was supposed to have head stunning beaches before corruption allowed foreign companies to pollute their waters and the country's eventual collapse into lawlessness. It sounds like Rwanda are putting an effort into attracting tourism so hopefully creating stability and security is top of the agenda. I doubt it will offer an alternative to the Magalouf crowd but should be an interesting alternative destination for those who really want to see the world.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    oxoman said:

I'd sooner go to Siberia in mid winter than skegvegas. Rwanda might be a safe bet for a covid free break.

I'll have you know, Siberia in winter has a harsh beauty all its own...

(🥶)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

Any specific reason why Rwanada?

Africa’s a big place

Has anyone? Just watching PSG women beat Arsenal women and some of the perimeter advertising is Visit Rwanda.

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Spent a few weeks their a couple of years back. Found it really nice, I’ve been to Kenya as well and would pick Rwanda again. Stayed in Kigali for a few days then went up to Musanze at the foot of the Varunga mountains. Roads are superb between the 2, Chinese built I think, but driving is erratic. Seeing the gorillas is expensive, you have to book through the National park and was $700 US, per person, the slots are limited daily to protect the gorillas and habitat. Walking around, shopping etc felt safe and ate out with no problems at all. The Genocide museum in Kigali won’t be for everyone but I would say is a must to understand where the country has been and how it has transformed itself. I was with friends that have spent time in Uganda and they said Rwanda felt safer.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    It's been a few years that I've lost any interest in travelling.

I mean, I'd like to do a long touring bicycle ride through Europe, maybe all the way down to Greece, but the idea of getting in an aeroplane to fly somewhere hours away just fills me with anxiety and dread.
    I don't think I will ever see Africa or Asia... I've been to North America a few times and it's OK, but you can replicate the Canadian experience in Norway without having to worry too much about bears...
    left the forum March 2023
  • I was lucky enough to spend a few days working there a few years ago. Stayed in the hotel that was the real life Hotel Rwanda from the film. Got to go and see the gorillas which was a six hour each way hike at altitude through a rainforest like something out of a Tarzan film - a day I’ll never forget. The genocide museum in Kigali is awful but has to be seen otherwise you wouldn’t believe it could happen as the country is so beautiful and the people so friendly. Certainly makes you think about the human condition
    http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
    One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........