Nice buildings

No euphemism. Just starting this thread in case I'm not the only one who likes a good building.

Please post any buildings you like old or new.

Here is Cathedral of Brasília.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    edited August 2020
    Porto Railway Station:

And not bad outside too

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    edited August 2020
    In the train statio category, St Pancras / Midland Hotel and Victoria Terminus in Mumbai are decent entries. Probably lots more though.

Underground stations: Moscow (top) and Pyongyang (bottom)

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    Always enjoyed walking through Grand Central station on my way to work when I lived in New York

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    I always rather liked the Vancouver Public Library. Nothing to do with the acronym.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Plymuff has some bangers for when we do the "worst buildings" thread...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    ddraver said:

Some hideous buildings get listed too which is quite scary. Preston bus station for example. Just an ugly concrete building.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    ddraver said:

What about that bombed out church? That's nice.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,201
    That does look good Big Bean.

The architecture and stone work around Bath, from the Romans to John Wood.

The place has an atmosphere to it and is always busy with tourists. I like going there.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,611
    morstar said:

ddraver said:

Some hideous buildings get listed too which is quite scary. Preston bus station for example. Just an ugly concrete building.
    I quiet like it actually. Nice strong sculptural lines. Shares a lot with Niemeyer's work and 'heroic' modernism. Never understood people's problem with concrete - it weather's in much the same way as stone, but you never hear anyone whinging about those awful Portland stone buildings.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean

ddraver said:

What about that bombed out church? That's nice.

• morstar
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

I quiet like it actually. Nice strong sculptural lines. Shares a lot with Niemeyer's work and 'heroic' modernism. Never understood people's problem with concrete - it weather's in much the same way as stone, but you never hear anyone whinging about those awful Portland stone buildings.
    I think the drawings look nice. The reality not so.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    edited August 2020
    FLW's falling water

All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • morstar
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

I think the drawings look nice. The reality not so.
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2020
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

It is below in case anyone is wondering what it looks like.

I've always found it tricky to convince people that the Barbican is paradise. Sadly, that includes at least half my family.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Ah the Barbican where you feel every tube train that passes underneath....
  • TheBigBean

That's not true.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917

That's not true.
    Unless they've done something to change it in the last 20 years, you certainly felt the tubes in the tower blocks.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

I've always found it tricky to convince people that the Barbican is paradise. Sadly, that includes at least half my family.

Having had a tour, including inside one of the flats it is indeed a wonder especially the 'hanging gardens' section spanning the lake. Absolutely mad that all that bush hammered concrete was done by hand as well. One of my favourite details is that even the fire extinguishers and light switches in the theatre have niches cast into the structural concrete.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

Having had a tour, including inside one of the flats it is indeed a wonder especially the 'hanging gardens' section spanning the lake. Absolutely mad that all that bush hammered concrete was done by hand as well. One of my favourite details is that even the fire extinguishers and light switches in the theatre have niches cast into the structural concrete.
    The purists will hope you saw one with an original kitchen and bathroom. The funny thing about the bathrooms is that the tiles should be really really cheap, but they are imperial sized and no longer made, so end up costing a fortune.
  • TheBigBean

That's not true.
    Unless they've done something to change it in the last 20 years, you certainly felt the tubes in the tower blocks.
    I've heard many complaints about helicopters from tower residents, but not the tube. It does affect Brandon mews (behind waterfall in photo) and Defoe, but it's really nothing. Defoe is priced at a premium because it is on the inside of the estate and therefore quieter.
  • morstar
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

Re the bus station.
    You know when an estate agent or holiday company manages to make a photo look really flattering...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,201
    mrb123 said:

Is that Johnson's and Cummings new holiday villa?
  • rick_chasey
    A bit closer to home for me - gotta love a bit of King's College Chapel.

A finer example of English gothic you won't see. That ceiling and the flying buttresses - hubba hubba
  • rjsterry
    morstar said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

Re the bus station.
    You know when an estate agent or holiday company manages to make a photo look really flattering...
    Compared with most bus stations, which are little more than sheds, I think it punches well above its weight, but as with many regional public buildings maintenance is neglected and then of course it looks dirty and unloved.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

• rick_chasey

A bit closer to home for me - gotta love a bit of King's College Chapel.

A finer example of English gothic you won't see. That ceiling and the flying buttresses - hubba hubba

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

That's not true.
    I've heard many complaints about helicopters from tower residents, but not the tube. It does affect Brandon mews (behind waterfall in photo) and Defoe, but it's really nothing. Defoe is priced at a premium because it is on the inside of the estate and therefore quieter.
    I'm now wondering what you do for a living. We seem to share some niche knowledge... :smile:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TheBigBean
    Ben6899 said:

That's not true.
    I'm now wondering what you do for a living. We seem to share some niche knowledge... :smile:
    Quite clearly, I work in the City's noise complaint department.
  • rick_chasey
    I'll put a few buildings down I have a more personal relationship with as they come to me.

Not sure it is "nice" but I have always been fascinated by Lloyd's of London. Both inside and out.

It's quite peculiar - the idea if I can remember is basically they were really focused on maximising floor space inside so they basically put all the innards outside - lifts etc. I used to go to a burrito shop almost every day and in the queue I'd watch the glass lifts go up and down.

There's a lot of focus on the inside floor and the escalators:

but unless you're a hull underwriter, you won't spend much time there - the floors look like this:

It's set up specifically for the job hence the wide open space so brokers can roam and go to all the various underwriters on each floor and sit with them and discuss in relative discretion despite the fact it's massively open plan. The acoustics are deliberately really flat too so voices don't carry.