Creaking Noise

Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to road bikes and I'm just looking for a steer on where to look to stop the creaking noise I get whenever Im climbing or asserting more pressure on the pedals than normal. Ive recently installed a 105 set onto a trek domane al2. I changed the bb and made sure it was correctly cleaned out and lubricated. Is it the bb that makes the noise and how do I stop it?

Many Thanks
Dave

Comments

• Start on the pinned post in this section.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    It could be your knees.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    edited August 2020
    A quick look up of the BB and it's this: "Shimano UN30, 68 mm, threaded cartridge, 110 mm spindle"

Is that correct?

If so, there's not much reason for it to creak unless it's old or loose. Did it creak before the swap over?

Check:
    Cleats
    Chainring bolts
    Pedals
    Cranks Bolts to spindle
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Could be cleats, is there groan when when you push hard on the cleat?
  • Thank you all so much, it's the BBR-60 bottom bracket, it's not push fit which I read was problematic. I will try the above and report back. It's just when I get out of the saddle to struggle up the hills it makes a really nasty creek and it sounds like it's under my feet so will try pedals, cleats etc tomorrow. Thanks again.
  • I had to completely replace the old bb as it wasnt compatible with the 105 crankset but it wasnt making a creaking noise before.
  • Sounds ridiculous, but have you tried dabbing a bit of grease on your front fork dropouts?

Quite a common problem- particularly if you've washed your bike recently.

This isn't some elaborate hoax- small amount of grease on your dropouts will have zero effect on clamping force. Try it before you start ripping your bike apart...
  • pinno

This isn't some elaborate hoax- small amount of grease on your dropouts will have zero effect on clamping force. Try it before you start ripping your bike apart...

Interesting.

A bit off topic:

Push a bike backwards and if the chain tries to run up or down the cassette, the rear mech is out of alignment.

• 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    I've noticed recently my Arione saddle has started to creak when I'm really laying down the power. Very annoying, will replace for start of next year as winter bike one will be fine.
  • pinno
    My Selle Italia does that with the elastomers.
    I spray silicone on them. Job done.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Can be any number of things.

Quick releases not tight enough.
    Cassette not tight.
    Chainrings or crank not tight.
    Worn headset bearing(s).
    Handlebar/ stem interface.
    Shifter to handlebar clamp.
    Saddle rails to saddle.
    Saddle to seat post.
    Seatpost to frame.
    Frame itself.
    Pedal bearing(s).
    Worn cleat.
    Cleat to shoe connection.
    Cleat/ pedal interface.

Etc etc etc....

PP
  • pinno said:

If you get creaking out of the saddle you might need some chamois creme.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    pinno said:

Good idea, I'll try put a wee bit of PTFE on it in the morning before I go out.
  • pinno

pinno said:

If you get creaking out of the saddle you might need some chamois creme.
    TBH, I thought that I may have caught a bit of Calvinismitus.
  • Massive thanks for all the suggestions, if this forum didnt exist I would have had the bike it bits getting the bb out but I looked at what everyone said it might be and put them in order or the easiest to check to the hardest. First off was the cleats on the shoes, wasnt that, next was to tighten the real wheel quick release and Bingo...the creak has vanished, quarter of a turn was all it took..Amazing...thank you again.

Dave.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Ooo, I feel quite proud that skewers was top of my list now!!! ;)

Glad you got it sorted.

PP
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I had a creaky saddle but it didnt bother me too much until I pressed down on the top tube this afternoon and it creaked as well.
    Took the seat post out and put it back in, and it solved it :confused:
  • Thank you all so much, it's the BBR-60 bottom bracket, it's not push fit which I read was problematic...

Hi dave, i also have Trek Domane AL2 and want to upgrade to 105 groupset, may i ask what BBR-60 do you use? Is it 68mm or 70mm?